Profile for Lisa Burke > Reviews

Content by Lisa Burke

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lisa Burke (Connecticut)

Diaries, 1910-1923
Diaries, 1910-1923
by Franz Kafka
Price: CDN$ 13.72
37 used & new from CDN$ 6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., June 9 2004
This review is from: Diaries, 1910-1923 (Paperback)
I Loved reading this book. I hope not to offend others who don't share my opinion in this, but I found the beginning to be a bit slow to get my attention. But as I kept with it, I was completely taken by Kafka, in a much more personal way than I have been in reading his books and short stories. He comes across so sensitive and loveable, even with all his faults. There's a paragraph in there about how he respects the maid [I think] and so when he finds her to ask for his heat to be raised, he doesn't ask her to raise it because she is in the middle of washing a floor and thought she might not want him to see her in such a way. That just made me want to fly back in time and tell him what a sweet, kind man he was, and how he shouldn't have been so hard on himself.
I'm sure that men aren't looking for that in a book, but I'm sure there's something in there for you too!
He just comes across as such a darling...the translation is terrific, and really brings out the beauty of his writing. The beginnings and snippets of the stories are also great; unfortunately you want to know how they end, but you aren't afforded that luxury!

First Person: An Astonishingly Frank Self-Portrait by Russia's President Vladimir Putin
by Vladimir Putin
Price: CDN$ 14.08
24 used & new from CDN$ 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired but Easy to Read, Aug. 22 2002
I purchased this book hoping to learn much about President Putin. Unfortunately, I did not, at least to the extent I wished. It does do a good job of bringing you thru his Life experiences, from youth to present, but it does not really show the degree of personal input I would have thought there would be from a book full of interview excerpts. I also thought there was a little lacking in the translation.
A good book for someone interested in the basics, but not for any in depth insight.

Is This It
Is This It
Price: CDN$ 9.49
45 used & new from CDN$ 3.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised Pleasure Derived from more than 1st Release, Nov. 19 2001
This review is from: Is This It (Audio CD)
When I first heard "Last Nite" I thought "well...it may be a little formula-sounding, but I Love this; I just want to hear it all the time!" After I bought this album, I was hoping the rest of the songs could deliver in the same way, and yes, I was surprised that I am thrilled to put it on, and hearing it in my head when it's quiet.
"Take it or Leave it" and "Soma" seem to be the featured songs lately. I'd give it a whirl if you like the Replacements, the Verve, Ride, etc. Great for a Friday nite. I hope these guys go somewhere because I wouldn't mind hearing round two in a year or so...

I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
Price: CDN$ 14.49
53 used & new from CDN$ 2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Seldom Disappointed by Radiohead, Nov. 19 2001
Granted, I am a fervent collector of any five notes played or sung by Radiohead, but I wasn't expecting much from a live album. I was so pleasantly surprised that they have developed these songs this much; I now have new appreciation for the ones featured here. "Spinning Plates" is amazing. Thom's weirdness and charisma and genius is always welcome to my eyes and ears. They seem to get closer and closer to the soundtrack of my mind.
Even if you have Kid A and Amnesiac, I still think it's worth it to invest in these new versions.

Living On Luck
Living On Luck
by Charles Bukowski
Price: CDN$ 16.60
24 used & new from CDN$ 10.38

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Help But Love Him, Dec 8 1998
This review is from: Living On Luck (Paperback)
To be honest, I still haven't finished this book. I keep it next to my bed for when I feel most alone. Try to keep the amounts I do read to a bare minimum because I never want it to end. This collection of letters captures so many sides of Buk: his business side, his harsh side; but also a great deal of his sensitive, sad, depressive-but-loving side, that is refreshing to see in any man, let alone one with such a weathered face. I just can't help but Love him.