Profile for Peter J. Swingle > Reviews

Content by Peter J. Swingle

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Peter J. Swingle "Architect, Poet, Music Lover" (Phoenix, AZ USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Nocturnal
Nocturnal

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY ROTATION, April 16 2002
This review is from: Nocturnal (Audio CD)
As my CD collection grows by leaps and bounds, this CD gets heavy rotation in all my players - at work, in the car, at home... it's great listening anywhere! I recently used some of the songs as the soundtrack for a VCD I made of pictures I took at a friend's wedding and they loved it. It's really hard to describe exactly what the sound is, but suffice to say: delicious!

Money Shot
Money Shot
10 used & new from CDN$ 10.07

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but something's a little off..., April 16 2002
This review is from: Money Shot (Audio CD)
I love the Greyboy Allstars and follow the individual musicians as they have come into their own. Robert Walter is finding a niche, and it's a pretty nice one, but this disc isn't quite there yet. It doesn't have the drive of Soulive or the unbridled funk of Stanton Moore, I would recommend those before this disk. It's a little restrained to me.

Guitar Fingerstyle
Guitar Fingerstyle
Price: CDN$ 19.51
20 used & new from CDN$ 11.68

5.0 out of 5 stars a true sampling of talent and style, April 16 2002
This review is from: Guitar Fingerstyle (Audio CD)
I have a love for guitar music of all kinds. Be it jazz, rock, blues, acoustic or other. But more and more I find myself listening to lots of acoustic guitar, the warm tones evoke moods and emotions like few other instruments can. In the hands of these accomplished artists, the playing is raised to new heights. This is a great CD for driving, for quiet nights home alone, or with a special someone. Highly recommended for those who are just beginning to explore the genre as well as those who already enjoy it.

Happy People
Happy People
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 19.42
11 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars REAL jazz musicians stretch out..., April 16 2002
This review is from: Happy People (Audio CD)
I love this CD, it's a testament to the fact that there are still real jazz musicians out there who can get together and create something magical and moving. It's a far cry from a lot of the smooth jazz out there, and welcome to those whose ears are accustomed to Coltrane on a warm evening. Check it out!

V1 : Liquid Tension Experiment
V1 : Liquid Tension Experiment
Price: CDN$ 19.13
28 used & new from CDN$ 12.64

5.0 out of 5 stars To you who loved Metal in school and thought you'd outgrown, Feb. 7 2002
Holy Cow!
I'm an avid music collector, over 1000 discs now, and the first time I listened to this I said "oh yes, this is what I have been waiting for..." I graduated high school in the 80s and loved all the heavy metal that was popular back then. Of course as I've grown into my 30s my musical horizons have been expanded beyond belief, into jazz, ambient, alternative, space music, you name it. The other day I got my hands on this and it's just the ticket. All the technical mastery you could want, but in a band that delights in playing AS A BAND and not just shredding into oblivion like Yngwie. Crossed up with some funk and enough other influences to really keep you captivated. It's great stuff!

No Pussyfooting
No Pussyfooting
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Heavenly Trip, Feb. 7 2002
This review is from: No Pussyfooting (Audio CD)
This first collaboration between Fripp and Eno joins two vastly creative minds under the same banner, exploring new territory in studio techniques and expanding musical perceptions and borders, setting the stage for the dawning ambient genre, and even for the less ambitious 'new age' genre. There are many fine moments on this disc, as it urges you along on a spectacular journey of soundscapes and overlapping layers which seem to seep into every nook of your soul. I give it four stars because I think their second collaboration, 'Evening Star' is more successful, but this one is well worth investigating. 'Evening Star' is quieter in mood than this, if that helps you to choose between the two. At points, Heavenly Music Corporation makes me think of how the soundtrack to Blade Runner would have sounded if Jimi Hendrix had sat in on the sessions. Swastika girls is more tinkly and jangly and less to my liking.

Evening Star
Evening Star
6 used & new from CDN$ 22.97

5.0 out of 5 stars sheer glory, Feb. 7 2002
This review is from: Evening Star (Audio CD)
I have been collecting and listening to Brian Eno's ambient work for about a year now. I find it to be unique in that it sets a subtle mood, but yet still maintains enough interest in the melody to keep your interest. I've seen some call it 'musical wallpaper', but it's much more than that, more like a musical portal to dreamland. Now I've discovered the Fripp/Eno work and much to my surprise, it's a whole new level. Fripp's guitar is a perfect compliment to Eno's keyboard work, providing shimmering washes over Eno's shimmering washes in Wind on Water, a slightly edgy exploration line over Eno's crystalline base melody in Evening Star, and subtle space sounds scattered through An Index of Metals. The interplay seems to fit both of them quite well. It seems a shame they did not work together for more than two recordings...

Bent
Bent
Price: CDN$ 39.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 35.95

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, what talent!, Jan. 22 2002
This review is from: Bent (Audio CD)
This is a great CD, not only for those of you who, like me, love a great bass player, but also for those of you, like me again, who love great percussion. The technical side is great, without losing too much of the musicality. I can only give it four stars though, because nobody compares to Victor Wooten...

Uptown Groove
Uptown Groove
Price: CDN$ 23.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 11.71

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll miss you Zachary..., Jan. 22 2002
This review is from: Uptown Groove (Audio CD)
I first heard ZB on the local 'smooth jazz' station back in '96 or so. It naturally stood out strongly because it is not smooth jazz, or at least what I think of as smooth jazz. Peter White is smooth jazz, with boring drum machines, limited tone, and just plain fluff. ZB represents the long lineage of fine true jazz guitarists that came before him, from Charlie Christian through Wes Montgomery and Grant Green, then George Benson, and now with the likes of Chris Standring and Norman Brown. This is real music, with soul and punch, and great variety of moods on one disc. It's worth every penny. I also have Laidback and Groovin' (which I found in a Tucson used music store in '99, after searching for a copy for 6 months...) They are both wonderful, full of passion, with a little bit of an edge. This music will keep you smiling.

Starfish
Starfish
Price: CDN$ 22.95
13 used & new from CDN$ 1.52

4.0 out of 5 stars I keep coming back to this one, Dec 18 2001
This review is from: Starfish (Audio CD)
I remember those days in the late 80's when "Reptile" and "Under the Milky Way" played on the radio. I was delivering flowers back then - we've all come a long way.... I had the cassette tape and listened mostly to those two songs. A few years back I bought the CD and with a more mature ear realized that this wasn't something that you listened to over and over, back to back, but took out once in a while and listened to all the way through, letting it take you on a journey. Those two songs are still the highlights of the disc, but amply supported by the surrounding cast. This is alternative at it's shining best, challenging the listener instead of just being ear candy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5