Profile for Traveling Irishman > Reviews

Content by Traveling Irishman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Traveling Irishman (Madison, WI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Play Poker Like The Pros: The greatest poker player in the world today reveals his million-dollar-winning strategies to the most popular tournament, home and online games
by Phil Hellmuth
Price: CDN$ 14.43
100 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time., Dec 8 2003
If you are interested in improving your poker game, then do not get this book!
I found this book to be a complete waste of time. The majority of the book was Phil trying to inflate is already large ego.
The basis of Phil's book is to only play the top 10 hands. In his opinion you'll win more than you'll learn. But in reality within a few hours everyone will have pinned you on what you play and you'll get no action when you do go in.
Phil advises you to be "tight and aggressive", but gives nothing to demonstrate how you should do this. He gives little information on post flop play and practically ignores fourth and fifth street play.
I found virtually nothing useful in this book. My advice is do not buy this book!! You'll only be sorry you did.
Try any of David Sklansky's books instead, you won't be sorry.

Tombstone Courage  Mm
Tombstone Courage Mm
by J.a. Jance
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining book, Dec 8 2003
This is book two in a series of books about Joanna Brady. In this book Joanna is running for sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona.
The author, J.A. Jance, does a good job of detailing the life of Brady and I felt that I got to know her fairly well throughout the story. I thought she did an exceptional job of outlining the relationship between mother and daughter during a rough period in their lives.
This well written book takes you through the life of Brady as she runs for Sheriff just at a time that two murders are discovered in her town. The murders revolve around a 30 year old family feud of a respected family in this small town.
Although the book was fairly slow to start it picked up quickly towards the end. Maybe a bit too quickly for my taste as I felt some things were left unexplored.
Overall I found this to be an entertaining book, even though I hadn't read the first in the series. I recommend it to anyone who wants a bit of a mystery in an easy to read book.

The Coffin Dancer
The Coffin Dancer
by Jeffery Deaver
Price: CDN$ 9.49
127 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, May 25 2003
This book is a 5 star book.
"The Coffin Dancer" is the second novel in this series featuring Lincoln Rhyme and his gorgeous assistant Amelia Sachs. This book follows after the "Bone Collector".
The book centers on Lincoln Rhyme, a disabled forensic "detective" and his battle of the wits with a hired killer, the "Coffin Dancer". Time is critical as two witnesses need to be kept alive over the weekend so they can testify against a known felon. However this is no typical killer, once you hire him you cannot change your mind. He will kill the targets at all costs... unless he can be stopped.
The book is a fast paced novel that sucks you in and keeps you there. Deaver works in lots of details about forensics, and makes the art of the science very appealing.
Over all I thought this was one of the better books I've read in years and would recommend it to anyone.

Kabuki Warriors - Xbox
Kabuki Warriors - Xbox
Offered by mostlymusic-ca
Price: CDN$ 12.97
5 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best, Jan. 5 2003
The graphics on this game are excellent as is the animation and movements.
However the characters are extremely limited. In most contests I fought the generic computer char, and only fought 4 real characters in over an hour of playing.
I like the concept of the game, and it could be more fun if it had more chars to fight, and more features. For example you earn money in the game, but the only purpose of the money is to travel to the next contest.
It would have been nice if I could have bought new weapons, clothes, etc.
Over all this is simply mediocre and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than those who can't afford better games.

Frailty [Import]
Frailty [Import]
DVD ~ Bill Paxton
Price: CDN$ 11.01
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good movie, worth the time/money to watch., Oct. 7 2002
This review is from: Frailty [Import] (DVD)
This was one of the better movies that I have seen in a while. It was a good thriller, although I thought they could have added a bit more to it to make it a truly great thriller.
Matthew McConaughey plays a man who goes to the FBI to tell them that he knows who the "Gods Hand" killer is. This killer has killed 7 people and left notes for the FBI about each of them.
McConaughey then starts to tell his tale in flashback mode, going back to when he was a small child in Texas. All was well with his family until one night when his father, Paxton, wakes him and his brother to tell them that an angel had visited him with a sacred mission. From there their lives swirl into a pit of evil.
The movie was fast paced and fun to watch. There was very little blood/gore despite the pretense of the movie. The acting was surprisingly good, especially for Paxton, whom I consider to be a mediocre actor at best.
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie, and would recommend it to friends.

Dahmer [Import]
Dahmer [Import]
DVD ~ Jeremy Renner
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 58.63
7 used & new from CDN$ 33.96

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time., Oct. 6 2002
This review is from: Dahmer [Import] (DVD)
This was without a doubt one of the worst movies I've seen. I expected something that gave insight into Dahmer's life and what drove him to his acts.
Instead we got snippets in flashback form that give little information.
I found the format a bit confusing as it was hard to delineate when each flash back was, so it was hard to get a handle on how things progressed.
There was virtually no information about Dahmer's childhood, and what could have created such a pyscho. And very little about what he actually did other than two short scenes depicting him cutting up what I think was his first victim, and using a powerdrill on the head of another victim.
Overall I thought this was a terrible movie, and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Native Tongue
Native Tongue
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and easy to read book., Sept. 25 2002
Hiaasen has another good book here. The book is revolves around Joe Wilder and his PR efforts for the Amazing Kingdom of Thrills theme park in the Florida Keys.
As always there are unseemly characters abound. And Joe takes us through a rollercoaster ride of fun and games as he tries to bring down the man behind the carnage.
The book is well written and easy to read. Parts of it had me laughing out load while I read, making my better half think I'm a little cuckoo!
Over all I found this to be a very enjoyable and funny book.

Collateral Damage (Widescreen)
Collateral Damage (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by Rainbow's End Books and Discs
Price: CDN$ 2.94
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Arnold movies in a long time., Sept. 23 2002
I found this to be one of the best movies Arnold has made in a long time. Probably the best since Terminator.
Unfortunately the movie was slated to come out last fall, and since it is based on a terrorist plot, it was yanked from the lineup after 9/11.
The premise of the movie is a group of terrorists fighting in Columbia. They bring their war to the USA to show Americans what the US is doing in Columbia.
Unfortunately for them they end up making Arnold mad!! You can imagine the rest from here.
With virtually all action flicks, there is little depth to the movie. So if you don't expect any background on why there are rebels in Columbia, and just want a good action flick, then this is it!

Stormy Weather
Stormy Weather
Price: CDN$ 9.02
102 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit by Hiaasen!, Sept. 18 2002
Hiaasen has done it again with Stormy Weather. This is the second book of his that I've read this week, and both have been a complete joy.
The books revolves around a couple going through their first marital problems, and on their honeymoon of all times!
A hurricane has ravaged south Florida and it brings out the worst in everyone.
Hiaasen once again brings Skink into his story. Skink is a fun and colorful character that gave up on politics to live the life of a recluse in the everglades. He is appalled by what is happening to Florida and every once in a while goes off the deep end.
The story is fast passed, and kept me interested from cover to cover. The characters are well developed and I found myself truly feeling for the good guys, and repulsed by the bad guys.
Over all I found this to be a very easy read, and very entertaining.

Double Whammy
Double Whammy
Price: CDN$ 9.02
108 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, well worth the time and money., Sept. 18 2002
Hiaasen has a hit with this book. It's very well written and keeps you entertained throughout. The setting is the back waters of Florida, the characters pro fishermen. The story reels you in with tales of cheating, murder and corruption.
The characters are fun, and well built up, so you get an affinity for them. There are plot twists, and turns, to keep you on your toes throughout the story.
Hiaasen gives us a good insight into Florida politics as he tells this story.
Overall I thought this was one of the best books I've read this year!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12