ARRAY(0xb3e60d80)

Profile for John Herman > Reviews

Content by John Herman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

John Herman (Saskatoon, Sask. Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Inferno: A Novel
Inferno: A Novel
by Dan Brown
Price: CDN$ 18.81
92 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorest in Dan Brown's Novels, Oct. 19 2013
This review is from: Inferno: A Novel (Hardcover)
The book I have doesn't have any photos of the places being mentioned in this story and I found it very difficult to follow all of the discriptions being used for the buildings and paths, etc.. He keeps using Italian expressions which mean nothing to me and I can't follow the story. The story or lack there of, I'm over past the halfway way point in the story and have no idea what is going on! I keep hoping something will tell me why the hero is going to be shot by Italian Police and whomever, but nothing. His hero keeps running in and out of buildings and locations that mean nothing to the story if you don't know why the hero has to do so. Terrible story and not up to this authors previous standards.

This is not like his previous stories which held the reader spellbound. At least not for me. I loved all of Mr. Brown's former stories but this book is very disappointing and I don't think it's worth reading unless you can buy a used copy for next to nothing.

Sorry Mr. Brown, but to me this was not well written, poor story subject, and unless one traveled to Italy to see the locations you can't follow what is going on.

Hawker Hurricane: Inside and Out
Hawker Hurricane: Inside and Out
by Melvyn Hiscock
Price: CDN$ 12.94
28 used & new from CDN$ 6.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Disappointed, June 1 2012
I ordered this book looking for a detailed storey of the Hawker Hurraine roles in Battle of Britian. This book has no stories of the roles really played by this famous plane but rather details rebuilding a copy at the Hawker plant. It is rather detailed in showing pictures of tubing, structure building, and little else. Can't recommend this book to anyone other then someone who might want to see how this plane was made. I was so hoping to get more information on the way this plane performed in the Battle of Britian and this book offered nothing.

Guitar Setup, Maintenance & Repair
Guitar Setup, Maintenance & Repair
by John LeVan
Price: CDN$ 15.67
40 used & new from CDN$ 15.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy In Guitar Repair, May 3 2012
If you have a problem with a guitar that you think should sound better, play better, buy the this book. If you want to set a guitar up, buy this book. I have purchased several guitar repair books over the years and this is the best I have found, bar none.

I had a Strat I bought on sale that was damaged and at a good price. Got it home and it has sat in the case for years because I didn't like the tone. Another cheap guitar made in ASIA so I thought I got what I paid for. Wrong, I finally set the intonation, the neck, and the pickups, and this guitars sounds as good as any of the American Made models.

A further note to those who buy the first guitar for themselves or more importantly for their children to start learning on, buy this book. The author goes into how all guitars should be setup to play better. The guitar I mention above was given to my Granddaughter who gave up shortly after starting out. The strings were away too large for the model, I should have known but didn't take guitar out much, I had no idea of what was wrong with it, but the strings were 3/8" high at bottom of the neck. Impossible to play, string to hard on the fingers, so it's no wonder she gave up. Had I read this book, I would have been more aware of what I should have corrected. Repairs are easy once you know how. Please purchase a guitar made by Fender (Squier), Ipiphone (Gibson), Ibanez, etc. Go to your music store and look at what they sell not what is in department stores or clearance centres. The guitars above are just a few of what you will find, but most of theirs can be fixed. For the most part you will find good prices but if you don't Ebay and Amazon sell same models but you will know what to look for.

If I would have had this book, I could have setup the guitar in no time. What I had read prior to this book told how to do it in several pages. In this book, you will learn easily how to find a problem and how to correct in minutes and perhaps turn your guitar into a better playing sounding instrument.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Relaxation Revolution: The Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing
Relaxation Revolution: The Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing
by Herbert Benson
Price: CDN$ 13.71
35 used & new from CDN$ 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Meditation Procedures, Sept. 8 2011
I have gained so much from Dr. Benson's books that I would like to share my opinions on this one. It seems that many people think that that mediations are some dark and anti Christian writings. This simplily isn't so. In this book the good doctor explains the scientific studies done by Dr. Benson and his his co-writer and the results of those studies. It is quite interesting what their findings were and well detailed in this book. Even he was surprised at their findings and this is worth the price of the book by itself.

Alot of these books are hard to read, at least in my experience, but the writer makes these practises easy to undrstand, and so easy to read. That's why I titled this review New to Medation because this is the ideal book to explain in detail what this is all about and how it may improve your medical problems.

I believe on page 5 he gives the first example on how to start a meditation and then goes into deeper explanations explaining the benefits that have been proven under Medical supervisions. If stress or health issues are your concern, a need to relieve tension in these challenging times, you will be pleased you purchased this book. Good reading and improved health as I know you won't be sorry on your purchase.

Relaxation Response
Relaxation Response
by H Benson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
142 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & Effective Highly Recommended, Sept. 8 2011
I read this book back in the 70's and it has stayed with me all these years. What this book does is show how to teach yourself how to mediate to bring a new power of conceptions and relaxation. This is not against any religion or beliefs as some may think. no, it just shows how to master peace of mind under any stressful situation. You will learn how to teach yourself how to calm yourself at a doctors appointments, job interviews, dentist appointments, and just plain stress relief.

I know the above is true because I have used Dr. Benson's technics for the past 36 years and if I could, I would thank him for writing this book. It is powerful and will change your life believe me. Those that have used other writters books to compare to Dr. Benson writings or have used other methods may find fault with this book. I don't know why but I guess you can't please everyone.

I have just ordered some of his new books but still recommend Relaxation Response because of the simple methods explained in obtaining results immediatlely. This is the reason I believe that it was a best seller world wide. If you use this method to handle just about anything you may incounter in your life, you will be very glad you purchased this book. For the price, what have you got to lose?

The Fender Stratocaster Handbook: How To Buy, Maintain, Set Up, Troubleshoot, and Modify Your Strat
by Paul Balmer
9 used & new from CDN$ 44.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Fender Strat, May 10 2011
I bought this book on a whim as I wanted to put together a Strat buying parts from Ebay or whomever. Let me say I am glad I purchased this book!! I read articles on the various setups and how to correct them. I found that I never knew all items in the bridge setup of Fender guitars. This alone is worth the price of the book.

I had a 1999 model that I was never happy with. So I thought I would just check some of the setups detailed in the book such as string heights, tuning on 12 fret, and how the bridge setings work. This guitar was so far out of alignment I couldn't believe it. I went through the instructions, reset and made ajustments, and couldn't believe the guitar could ever sound that good.

If you want to understand your Strat, I highly recommend this book. Also, if you buy a Squire or cheaper version of Fender, I have no doubt that with the help of this book, you might turn a poor guitar into a much better performing guitar. Hope this might help the reader to enjoy and may be even fix a guitar that you think should play or sound better. Try the book and i know you will be glad you did.

The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Played With Fire
by Stieg Larsson
Price: CDN$ 12.15
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a thriller, Dec 20 2010
I was introduced to this authors work by a friend. I enjoyed the first book so much I purchased this one after finishing reading the first storey. This is a second part to his first book the Girl Dragon Tattoo. I have trouble getting into reading a book unless the storey takes right off. I admit I had a little trouble with the first book but I glad I continued on, but not this one. It gets into the storey quickly This is a well written suspense thriller. Once you get into the storey, you won't be able to put the book down.

I believe you will get more out of this storey if you read his first book. The characters in the storey take off where the first book left off. So I think you might be puzzled by the storey having not read his first book. It is to bad the author died as I just love the way he has portrayed the characters and how the storey evolves.

There is a reason why this book is on the New York best seller list. The reviews here also show that the vast majority of people writting reviews score it a five star. Hope you agree.

The Girl In Saskatoon
The Girl In Saskatoon
by Sharon Butala
Price: CDN$ 13.83
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tragic Tale Well Written, Dec 13 2010
This review is from: The Girl In Saskatoon (Paperback)
This is the true storey of a young nurse that was bruttly murdered in 1962 in the City of Saskatoon. The author relates how things were in 1962 and prior. It will bring back alot of memories to those of us that lived back then in simpler times. She expresses her life and how small town girls handled the move to the larger cities, at least to them. I think it is a well written book with some of the confusing happenings of the murder of this poor girl.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (DVD + Blu-ray Combo)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (DVD + Blu-ray Combo)
DVD ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by Kay's Movies
Price: CDN$ 17.99
15 used & new from CDN$ 5.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy and Disappointed in this item, Dec 6 2010
If you have read the book, I think the movie will be a bit of a let down, at least it was for me. Alot of the story has been left out in order to make the movie. I guess when you have to convert a book to a movie, something is going to be lost and to me that's what happened here.

Don't judge the book by the movie. The book, after several hundred pages, gets you so involved you can't put it down. My wife who hadn't read the book, had trouble getting the story together as we watched the DVD and as I tried to relay the stories back ground.

I found it hard to explain as the movie forgot that the hero was to investgate the loss of a family business magnet's grand daughter but under disguise of writing a family autobiography. This was totally changed in the movie and I felt it left alot of the clairity in the the story out.

I was going to give a three star raing, but I think if you haven't read the book, you will enjoy the movie.

176 Woodworking Projects (Diy)
176 Woodworking Projects (Diy)
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, Nov. 10 2009
At $.50 this book is useless. Plans and projects are so dated as to make you afraid of purchasing other woodworking projects. Come to think of it, if it was offered for free I won't take it. Sorry, but this my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3