Profile for Carolina S. > Reviews

Content by Carolina S.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Carolina S. (USA)

Love in the Time of Cholera
Love in the Time of Cholera
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA, May 4 2004
"LOVE IN TIME OF CHOLERA"
By Gabriel García Márquez
Can we defined what it is love? How many kinds of love there are? When we know we
are in love, Can we know it? When we know is just something transitory? How we know
this is the right person to marry? These are some of the themes that Gabriel García
Márquez portrays in this interesting novel.
This book shows that love is not always perfect and the illness of cholera are the same
that the illness of love. This novel shows us that love can come unexpected and the same
time can change very quickly. Love is not constant and sometimes changes people's live.
Love can do powerful things and this is reflected in Florentino Ariza who loved Fermina
Daza for more that fifty years.

This novel shows the large definition of love and one kind of love that we see is the love
between Fermina Daza and her husband, Dr, Urbino. At first neither of them are in love
but with time they begin to love each other "he was aware that he did not love her"(159)
" but as she kissed him for the first time he was sur e there would be no obstacle to their
inventing true love". (159) With the passing of the years, when they were old, the love
changed to a more mature defition of love.
This is an awesome book with unexpected ending. I recommend this novel and after you
read it is going to change the way you see love.

I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala
I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala
by Rigoberta Menchu
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I, Rigoberta de Menchu, May 4 2004
"I, Rigoberta de Menchú"
Edited by Elisabeth Burgos-Debray
This is an awesome book. I recommend this book for everybody who wants to know the truth about the suffering of the Indians in Guatemala. This book talks about the customs of her community and also talks about all the injustices and discrimination that the white people had against the Indians.
Rigoberta belongs to the Quiché people in Guatemala. The customs of the Quiché people are very different from our customs. The Quiché people are very closed to the nature and they respect and give an enormous value to the animals and to the plants. This book make you realize the importance of the nature that we normally forget when we became more "civilize". This book shows all the suffering that the Quiche people had to life with it and the story of Rigoberta and her community shake you and force you to see that how superficial our society became. We worry for materialistic things, for example, I want expensive furniture or I'm not happy with the old T.V that I bought a year ago. Now I want the new plasma T.V. We worry for ephemeral things and most of the time we are wondering what kind of food are we going to eat instead of what we are going to do now if our children are asking for food and we don't have any food to provide them.
This book make you realize that Indians are being exploited and so many products that you consume are thanks to them. This book shows how the landlords exploited them on the fincas (The fincas are places where the coffee and the cotton are cultivated). This is a very emotional and sad part of the book and breaks you heart to believe that can exist people so mean who take any advantages of these hard workers. The conditions in which they work are unacceptable. They are exploited in every way possible. They work very hard and the pay is miserable.
When the Indians try to rebel the army took actions and what they did was to torture the people who try to change all this injustices. They try to suppress them with these awful tortures. We can see how the Indians accepted the catholic religion and how they interpreted the bible. The bible help them to see things more clear and they used it to claim their own rights as human been.
I recommend this book because after you read it all you are going to have a better understanding of the Indian culture and also you are going to be thankful for all the tiny things you have in life. People who don't appreciate life should read this book. People who waste food should read this book. People who don't appreciate nature should read this book. This book is going to make you be thankful and to be less superficial.