Profile for Nimrod > Reviews

Content by Nimrod

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Nimrod (Israel)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Dangerous Lie in History., July 19 2004
In "Warrant for a Genocide" Cohn states that the protocols are a creation of the underworld where madman express their ideas, and that sometimes, this ideas arrive to the real world, for the use of the uneducated and ignorant. The problem with the Protocols is that it is looks academic and convincing. The believers attribute it to "Professor Nilus" and say that it is proven by the fact that it fits the world's events. Well, here are a couple of facts that might help disproof these claims:
1. Nilus wasn't a professor. He was a mentaly unstable and probably mentaly ill Russian mystican at the begining of the century, living with his wife and his ex-lover near a monastery in Russia. He only copied the protocoles.
2. The protocoles are based on a couple of books, the main one is a book from the 19th century written against Napoleon III, there is a copy of it in Paris' National Library with marked paragraphs that fit exactly to paragraphs in the protocols. There are even language difference: The copied part are in excellent French, while the rest isn't at all.
3. It was probably created by the Tzarist Secret Police and we know that the copy they created arrived to Nilus' hands.
4. The idea to proof the protocols by examining how they fit the facts is created by Henry Ford, after he crushed into a tree in order to avoid going to court about the protocols. He knew that there is no other way to 'proof' it. By the way, he lost his case and had to apologize.
5. The Protocols were proven as a fraud in numerous trials, those in Swissterland and South-Africa in 1934 are pretty well known. In every case, the supporters of the protocols couldn't proof their claim, and their defense was a mishmash of antisemite propoganda of the worst kind (Race, blood, etc.)
I know that those who believe in it won't believe me, they'll say i'm Jewish and hiding the truth. It's a pitty that you do, because you learn nothing, you refuse to learn, you refuse to discuss, because deep in your heart you know that it's not your ratio that agrees with the protocols, it's the hatared in your heart. Perhaps, if you'll examine it, you'll see that it's not the Jews you hate, but yourselves.
I think Amazon shouldn't sell this stuff.

Guardians Of The Lost: Volume Two of the Sovereign Stone Trilogy
Guardians Of The Lost: Volume Two of the Sovereign Stone Trilogy
Price: CDN$ 9.92
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A homage to Tolkin, yet a great book., May 6 2004
Let me tell you the plot of this book, and you'll see how Tolkin gets in: Two people, in this case only one of them is a halfling, are getting a quest which involves carrying a magical item which is the key to rule the races of the world. They ae joined by a wise old person, which happens to be a wizard, and by warriors along the way. A dark Lord, which once owned the artifact, is also searching for it, sending his lethal, undead servants after the party. Reminds you something?
Yet, even though Tolkin's effect is clear, this book makes a great reading. The plot is of course much more complicated than what I wrote above, and Weis and Hickman's amazing character building, world describing and storytelling talent, makes you read this book flowingly, and be eager for more.

Well Of Darkness
Well Of Darkness
by Margaret Weiss
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Step Into The Darkness..., April 19 2004
First, a warning for the Dragonlance fans: This book isn', at all, like Dragonlance. Dragonlance was a merry, optimistic tale, filled with light and love. Even in the darkest parts of it, and there are many, it's never too dark. That's not the situation here.
Weis and Hickman takes their amazing talent of storytelling into new realms. Their incredible way of building characters in a way that they'll look real, is working great in this book. You find that you are happy when the heroes win and unhappy when they lose. You identify with them. The problem is that the heroes are not the good characters of the book, they are the villians.
And so, you find yourself torn between the good characters, which you know a lot about, but they're not the main heroes, and the heroes, which you've accompanied all the way, and feel that you know them, even likes them. In the middle there's the Wheeping-boy, who is torn by exactly the same dilema as you are, and you are always eager to see what he decides to do.
All around the characters there is a wonderfully built, amazingly detailed world, and an original, complicated and sophisticated plot, that makes it impossible to lay the book down.

Iran's First Revolution: Shi'ism and the Constitutional Revolution of 1905-1909
Iran's First Revolution: Shi'ism and the Constitutional Revolution of 1905-1909
by Mangol Bayat
Price: CDN$ 141.45
16 used & new from CDN$ 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting way of looking at the 1905 revolution., April 15 2004
As a student, when we've learned about the Iraninan constitutional revolution of 1906 things were very simple: an alliance between the Ulamaa, the Bazaar and other people of interest, that created a united front against the shah, in order to create a constitution, a parliament and so on.
In this book, Bayat shows that things aren't that simple: She wonderfully paints and intellectual-social-religious profile of Iran before the Revolution. She shows the effect of Western ideas and the different forms it took. She describes the intellectuals and others who had taken part in the leading of the revolution. She writes with detail about the different secret societies that was formed, their tactics and their activities. She shows that the 'United Front' wasn't so united and that things aren't as clear as they may seem in first glance.
The book, not on the writer's fault, is very detailed and therefore somewhat confusing, at least for me. It'll take you some time to arrange all the names and organizations, and yet, because of that you grow curios to see how all those people, although they had different ideas and goals, had all united and managed to get what they wanted.
In conclusion, it is a book that's offering an interesting thesis and a new point of view on the Iranian Constitutional Revolution.

The Soulforge: The Raistlin Chronicles, Volume One
The Soulforge: The Raistlin Chronicles, Volume One
78 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but somewhat ruins..., April 12 2004
Like any Dragonlance book by Weis and/or Hickman, it's a wonderfully written book. I enjoyed every page, and had to keep on reading. I read it again after finishing it, and I still read it every once in a while.
Yet, I feel that this book somewhat ruined Raistlin to me. It was interesting to learn about his childhood and how he became a wizard, yet, it, it was so much more interesting if it wasn't serve on a silver plate to us. I remember how, before reading this book, I spent a lot of time trying to understand Raistlin and build his background, only from the hints found in the "Chronicles" and "Legends". This book had deleted all the question marks, and cleared the mystery of the character. By doing so, I think, it had somewhat diminshed one of the most interesting characters in the world of Fantasy.

Birthday Concert
Birthday Concert
Price: CDN$ 23.47
10 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars You Learn To Love It..., March 22 2004
This review is from: Birthday Concert (Audio CD)
On first listening, I had some hard time swallowing this album. I was already familiar with the blasting, amzingly energetic opening track, 'Soul Intro-The Chicken', in fact it was my 'wake-up- song for quite a long time (Truly fills you up with energy, you should try it...), So I wasn't surprised by it. The hardest to eat was "Invitation". The theme tune is cool, but it gets very abstaract as it goes on, and it was hard for me to dig. The rest was good.
However, on a second and third listening, you start hearing things you didn't hear at first. Jaco's cool bass lines, cool horn phrases, nice and inspiring improvisions. Now, it is one of my favorite CDs, and I recommend it to every Jaco fan and every Jazz Musician.

Nightfly
Nightfly
Price: CDN$ 10.71
53 used & new from CDN$ 3.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Good CD., March 22 2004
This review is from: Nightfly (Audio CD)
I must admit I knew nothing about Mr. Fagen when I bought this CD. I knew that Marcus Miller, one of my favorite bassit is playing on it, so I bought it. On my first listen I found myself, more than once, nod my head with amazement in response to a praticullarly good phrase, and on second listening, I decided it's one of my best CDs. Donald Fagen is a talented writer and a gifted composer and arranger. He had assembeled some of the best players around, and together they create a fun, funky and delighting music, that'll make you have a good time.
To the bassists among you, like myself, I'd say that you won't be disappointed. You'll hear great bassits, more and less known, accompany Fagen, and do it with inspiring skill. After all, with all the fun of being a leader, us bassits also have the accompanying job to do, and this CD is defiently learning it from the masters.

Silver Collection
Silver Collection
Price: CDN$ 12.50
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a sweet voice...but what's up with those violins?, March 22 2004
This review is from: Silver Collection (Audio CD)
Gilberto have, in my opinion, the most beautiful voice in the world of jazz. Sometimes, its sweetness and naivity almost makes you cry. However, whoever produced this CD done a terrible job: The violins are way too loud, and sometimes overcome Gilberto herself! A good voice doesn't need anything but a piano, and maybe a background band, but not a violin. Even if you put it, put it in with taste. It's a great CD, but I'd remix it to lower and soften the violins, because Gilberto is more than enough and should be in the center.

Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three
Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three
Price: CDN$ 9.92
98 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Square Wheels Work!, March 4 2004
What Weis and Hickman had done is like re-enventing the wheel: The same principle, although not as good, and you find yourself asking "why?".
These two marvelous authros had taken their 'Chronicles' and 'Legends' round wheels off their Dragonlance wagon, and replaced them with square ones. Surprisingly, they're working. True, the ride isn't as smooth and fun, and it's sometimes bumpy, but it's moving. What makes this series a good ride is especially the amazing tallent of story-telling that the authors have. The cahrectres are good, but not as good as the original Dragonlance heroes. The plot is nice, but I prefer the Chronicles, and I liked the old Krynn better.
I enjoyed this series, I really did. I read it without a break between the books, and I've read in any possible moment, just like the old Weis and Hickman books. I laughed, I was sad and I felt good and bad with and for the characters, like in any other W&H book. However, as fun as it was, it's not as good as the originals. I'm taking these wheels off my wagon and return to my old, round, favorite ones.

Word Of Mouth Revisited
Word Of Mouth Revisited
Price: CDN$ 15.86
31 used & new from CDN$ 8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing., Jan. 17 2004
This review is from: Word Of Mouth Revisited (Audio CD)
Jaco's music doesn't need improvment. The beautiful sound of the bass, the funky lines, the great tunes and the energy floating from it, are perfect as they are. This album simply gives a new interpretation to his music, and doing it with so much love to the man, that it feels like Jaco himself is sitting in the studio, smiling. The use of a big band gives new energy to the tunes and makes them sound funky and energetic. The guest bassists sometimes try too much, in my opinion, to sound like Jaco and not like themselves, but in general each of them gives his view on Jaco and the tune he's playing. The result is a beatiful, funky and energetic album, that gives a new view on Jaco's music, and is worthy to stand side by side with Jaco's originals.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7