Profile for Tom Douglas > Reviews

Content by Tom Douglas
Top Reviewer Ranking: 195

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tom Douglas (U.K.)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
XCSOURCE® RGB Top LED Bulb Spot Light Changing Lamp 16 Colors 5W GU10 + 24 Key Remote Controller For Home Part Decoration LD236
Price: CDN$ 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-coloured light, March 26 2015
This LED spot light does exactly what is claims, giving 15 different colours controllable remotely. The colours are okay; none of them individually are perfect, but 15 okay colours makes for a pretty compelling light overall.

The fitting is a standard GU10 and I had no trouble getting it in place. The remote control can also turn off and on, but naturally that only works if the light itself, or rather the light switch, is on.

The lighting cannot be controlled digitally, so if you fitted a wifi controllable light socket, you would still need to use the 'manual' remote control to switch colours.

Overall: a good multi-colour low energy LED bulb. Ideal for mood lighting, or a child's bedroom.

XCSOURCE® 5M 300 LED Strip Light 3528 SMD Warm White Ribbon Tape 12V Flexible Lamp LD167
Price: CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value., March 21 2015
This is a very impressive 5 metre strip of LED lights, which incredibly runs off 12 volts making it ideal for trailers and RV's. There are 300 LED lights in total, at 60 per meter, which gives plenty of light and the colour is a warm white.

Bear in mind that it does not come with an adapter, and is not waterproof but I have used it outside without any problems.

Excellent value.

XCSOURCE Complete Square Filter Kits-ND2 ND4 ND8 Filter,G.ND2,G.ND4,G.ND8 Filters ,Graduated Blue/Orange/Red/Green/Yellow & Purple Filer + 49/52/55/58/62/67/72/77/82MM Ring Adater + 2 PCS Filter Holder +2 PCS Lens Hood +3 Cleaning Cloth LF142
Price: CDN$ 45.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Save a fortune, March 14 2015
Interested in experimenting with filters? Don't know if there is any long term mileage in the idea? No idea which filter to start with?

Then this wonderful introductory set is for you. Everything you could need to get up and running with filters in one set.

I don't use my camera often, so investing over £100 in a single filter was simply not an option. Now I am experimenting with the full range, and once once I figure out what works for me I will probably trade up a couple of specific filters.

Highly recommended for filter virgins

FRiEQ® Waterproof Camera Float - Floating Camera Wrist Strap for Your Underwater Camera - Compatible with GoPro, Panasonic Lumix, Canon PowerShot D20, Marine Binoculars, Camcorders and Other Multiple Small Waterproof Devices (2-Pack)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 36.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, March 11 2015
Well this was just waiting to be invented! A safety float for your camera or smartphone, which pairs beautifully with the wonderful FRiEQ waterproof pouch to keep you tooled up when on the water.

Good for up to 200g of load, and very bright yellow to catch your eye, this is item delivers everything it promises.

Five stars.

FRiEQ® Floating Waterproof Cell Phone Carrying Cases for Apple iPhone 6, 5s, 5, Galaxy S5, S4 S3, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, MP3 Player - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Rainbow)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For your anywhere smartphone, March 11 2015
This is the ideal solution to a classic problem - leave your phone on the beach, where it might get stolen, and take it on the boat, where it might get wet?

And not only does it keep your smartphone dry, you can still use your touchscreen without taking it out of the pouch, and you can take photos.

With a great degree of nervousness I tested this in the tub with my smartphone and once I'd established that it was totally safe to use, I tested it with all the other smartphones in the family.

Pair with bluetooth headphones, or a waterproof bluetooth speaker, and you have music wherever you go, without risking the death of your smartphone.

Brilliant

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged kit that really is rugged, March 3 2015
I was sent this product by the manufacturer to test and honestly review. As a result I did stuff to this drive that I wouldn't dream of doing to 'live' equipment that I'd paid for.

Specifically I threw it out of an upstairs window, onto concrete, and then put it in my son's bath, where is was a submarine for his Octonaut toys. Some of the other reviewers have been a bit more structured and scientific about the tests, but I figured my own test reflected the sort of disasters which can befall a hard disk.

Before my tests it was a fast 1Tb hard drive. After my tests it was still a fast 1Tb hard drive, but with a slight scuff on one corner.

I am very impressed. I thought waterproof would mean splash proof, but this is the real deal. Rugged kit that lives up to its claims. Five stars.

Silicon Power 64GB USB 3.0  Black Retractable Flash Drive,Blaze B05 (SP064GBUF3B05V1K)
Silicon Power 64GB USB 3.0 Black Retractable Flash Drive,Blaze B05 (SP064GBUF3B05V1K)
Price: CDN$ 34.51
10 used & new from CDN$ 34.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A capless retractable USB 3 thumb drive, Feb. 22 2015
This is a *USB 3* flash drive, not USB 2, so shop carefully. And it is a very one good.

In terms of the technicals, it is fast and reliable. Works out of the box and keeps working. I have tested in on Win7, Win8 and my Smart TV with no problems.

The case is capless, which I like, with just a thumb slide needing to activate it. There is an anchor point at the other end, so that you can connect it to a strap or lanyard.

It looks good too, which doesn't necessarily matter, but the glossy plastic is tough too, and it doesn't damage easily.

Thumb drives are almost generic these days, but some are definitely better than others. This is clearly at the top end of the range.

Silicon Power Ultima U05 32GB USB 2 Flash Drive, Deep Blue (SP032GBUF2U05V1D)
Silicon Power Ultima U05 32GB USB 2 Flash Drive, Deep Blue (SP032GBUF2U05V1D)
Price: CDN$ 28.61
6 used & new from CDN$ 28.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A capless USB 2.0 thumb drive, Feb. 22 2015
This is a *USB 2* flash drive, not USB 3, so shop carefully. And it is a very one good.

The plastic case is pretty tough - I subjected it to an unreasonable amount of abuse and all I managed to do was scuff it a little.

TaoTronics Water Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Shower Speaker (Bluetooth 3.0, Hands-Free, Built-in Mic, A2DP/AVRCP)
Offered by Sunvalleytek Canada
Price: CDN$ 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No compromise, Feb. 19 2015
Wow! This is seriously good. With a waterproof speaker you are going to have to accept some compromise – adding waterproofing means reducing sound quality.

But with this model TaoTronics have created a speaker which sounds as good as a regular Bluetooth speaker. Or rather, it is as good as a very good Bluetooth speaker.

Here are the key points:

Waterproof – yes; I placed it just above the waterline in my son’s bath and let him do his worst. The floor needed mopping; the speaker was still playing merrily

Suction – average; you will struggle on textures tiles, but with firm placement it will stay put

Sounds – excellent; clear and rich

Functionality – full Bluetooth connectivity, which means volume controls, skip tracks, pause, and call answering

Bluetooth – pairing is straightforward

Instructions – very clear and comprehensive.

Overall this is a real winner. Five stars.

Disclosure: I was sent this item to test and review by the distributor but was free to write an honest and unbiased review. Bottom line: yes, I would but this item; yes, I would recommend it to friends and family.

Bluetooth 3.0+ EDR Wireless Earphones Stereo Earbuds+ Microphone Handsfree IP119
Price: CDN$ 27.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, Feb. 18 2015
Oh my, these are great! Bluetooth earbuds are great in theory, but there is a trade off to be done: lose the wire, gain some weight due to battery and transmitter. These buds from XCSOURCE make that trade-off not too painful.

Fit - I wanted these for running, so fit is absolutely vital, and the fit is very good. With three sets of rubber cups, plus the over-ear hook, I was able to get a really good fit, and then when my wife tested them, she was too. This matters a lot.

Weight - light enough that you doubt that they really are bluetooth; what they have is bulk rather than weight, and when you switch from wired buds, it seems like a very large step up in size, but that lasts just a couple of days and then they become the new normal. As you can see from the photos, they are not that large, but it just feels like they are initially.

Sounds - clear and rich; much better than I expected. As good as apple buds, but not as good as over-ear cup headphones, as you would expect.

Range - I haven't measured it, but certainly I can be the other side of a large lounge, or go to the bathroom from the bedroom and the quality is not affected

Functionality - includes a mic, so they have full functionality including call answering. Pairing was very easy.

Uses - as mentioned, I wanted these for running, but they have also proved invaluable for decorating, where a trailing wire would be a recipe for disaster. With these my phone is always safe.

Value - the current price is $27.99. That is amazing, as you would pay that for wired earbuds without bluetooth.

An easy five stars.

Disclosure: I was sent this item to test and review by the manufacturer, but was free to write an honest and unbiased review. Bottom line: yes, I would buy these; yes, I would recommend them to friends and family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5