Profile for slangot > Reviews

Content by slangot

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

slangot

Network+ Study Guide
Network+ Study Guide
by David Groth
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Has most of what you need to know..., Oct. 22 2003
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I took and passed the Network+ exam today using this book almost exclusively to prepare for the exam. I passed with a 780/900. I have to let it be known to others out there preparing for this test that this book does not contain ALL the information you need to know. This book will touch on most subjects, but many subjects do not go in-depth enough for this to be the all-knowing Network+ study companion. To be more specific from what I can recall from the test, there were some very specific questions about Linux client configuration and DSL configuration that were not discussed about at all in this book. Strong points of the book are the tables and graphics, they will point out all the major specifications you will need to memorize for this test. The most notable ones I recall are the well-known ports and IEEE 802 standards. The included CD has alot of practice questions even though as mentioned in some of the other reviews there are some typos and some conflicting technical information that can confuse the reader. I was going to give this book a 3 star rating, but realizing that this book still did help me to pass the exam, I have given in a 4 star instead. Just remember, it doesn't have EVERYTHING. Good luck out there.

Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2
Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2
Offered by johnsrarevideogames
Price: CDN$ 34.95
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest Opinion, Sept. 1 2003
Enter the Matrix has tried to mix many different game style elements into one title which has resulted in mediocre gameplay. The strongest point of the game is that it shows exclusive footage filmed specifically for the game.
The action/exploring element of the game isn't actually that bad. You roam around large levels always with an objective, once you complete that objective you are usually given another then another, and so on. You can use various weapons, or punch and kick your enemies down. Included into this mix is the ability to focus, which slows time and allows you to perform special manuveurs while in this state.
Weak points are the level design is very plain, and not much creativity was put into the layout of the levels. Many times you will run past an area that looks exactly like another part of the level, because it is the same exact layout. Character models are not that impressive compared to what is being done on other games today. Niobe looks alot better then Ghost with her long coat, but Ghost looks very square in his outfits.
Sometimes you can go into a fighting stance, the camera angle changes to a side view of the combatants which makes the game appear to be a fighting game such as Tekken or Virtua Fighter. The fighting system they implemented during this change is very weak, best way to defeat your foes is mash the buttons not giving them a moment to hit back.
Some levels are driving sequences. Depending on which character you are using you might have to be the gunner, shooting any opposition while you tear along the road. Or you might be the driver, manuervering between traffic and calling on the gunner to fire when an enemy draws near. The driving physics are very skewed to reality. Sometimes you will fly through the air in your vehicle after having a heavy collision, this can happen often when enemies ram your vehicle.
Although the game is somewhat dull at certain points, the ability to use the focus ability and take on several enemies at a time is enteraining. Once you have mastered the controls and use focus wisely you are pretty much unstopabble which does make the game boring once you are good. Not a bad game for fans of the Matrix story, because you will get some background information about what is happenining int he Matrix universe. Not a good pick up if you're looking to spend your hard earned money on an long entertaining gaming experience.

Shinobi - PlayStation 2
Shinobi - PlayStation 2
18 used & new from CDN$ 5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars From an old school gamer, July 9 2003
I'm a big fan of the old shinobi games. This lastest one sort of dissapoints me. The new Shinobi is meant to be a very straight forward action hack'kill'kill'jump style game, but missing to me is the fun I used to get when I played the old shinibo games. Like alot of reviews have mentioned, this is a really difficult game! Some of my problems with the game are:
-The levels just weren't designed very well. You keep running and passing the same turn or same hall over and over. They could have been a little more creative with the level design.
-Voice acting is terrible! I'd rather have just plain subtitles then hear the voices in this game. The sound the main character makes when he walks over a spider web, uggggghhhh.
-There's more emphasis on using the sword rather then throwing shirikens. The old games usually were opposite, meaning you did most of your damage by throwing the shirikens rather then using the sword. I understand why the developers would want to change that because sometimes it make killing your enemies way too easy in the old games. It's just not the same though with all the sword action.
Overall, the design of the Shinobi character is very cool. It's a very stylish design. If you're thinking about buying this one because you liked the old shinobi games, you might just want rent it or demo it somewhere first.

Sea of Swords: Paths of Darkness
Sea of Swords: Paths of Darkness
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, June 1 2003
Not one of Salvatore's better novels. It's the final book for the Paths of Darkness series, and it ends nice predictable fashion. I enjoyed reading Servent of the Shard and Spine of the World, after finishing those books and then continuing with Sea of Swords, the series seems to end with a little thump instead of a bang. Pick it up if you're interested in following Drizzt and friends, but if you're looking for an interesting Salvatore book this isn't the one to get.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - PlayStation 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - PlayStation 2
Offered by Rainy Day Games
Price: CDN$ 12.99
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game,, May 31 2003
I didn't think I would see a game beat Metal Gear Sold in espionage style action, but this game has done it. The use of shadows to hide your character (Sam Fischer) really adds a more realistic touch when you're trying to be covert in the game. Like Metal Gear you must stay silent and out of enemy sight, but Splinter Cell seems to pull it off much better. Graphics and sounds are excellent, I give the edge in voice acting to Metal Gear Solid though. Comparing the voice acting in general I rate it high among most games. I do have a few little complaints about the game though. Although voice acting is pretty good, during the movie sequences the lips just don't seem to match up well with the words. It's not a big deal, but something that I noticed. It took me a few hours to get used to having to move my own camera around. Alot of my complaints about new 3D games are the camera doesn't seem to be at the correct angle when you want it. Splinter Cell allows you to move the camera however you want, there is never any auto camera movement done for you. It takes getting used to, but once it becomes almost natural to move the camera for yourself it's a great addition to the game. Maybe Ubi Soft should have added an option for manual or auto camera? Overall great game, it's a must for gamers who like espionage style gameplay like Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu.

The Spine of the World: Paths of Darkness, Volume Two
The Spine of the World: Paths of Darkness, Volume Two
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite one so far, March 10 2003
In my opinion, this is the best Salvatore book i've read so far. I've been going through his whole Forgotten Realms series, and I enjoyed reading this one the most. Although Drizzt Do'Urden is a great character, his adventures were starting to get tired. I was a little unsure of how interesting a story could be being based around Wulfgar. I usually found him pretty boring, he just didn't appeal to me at all. Don't be fooled if you felt the same way. He's gone through alot of changes and this story tells the tale of how he survives the city of Luskan (and other locations) as a bar bouncer. I really feel this is the most intelligent Salvatore book that I have read.

Legacy of the Drow: Collector's Edition
Legacy of the Drow: Collector's Edition
27 used & new from CDN$ 6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading this one, Jan. 14 2003
After finishing the Icewind Dale series I wanted to jump to the next series. I wanted to go with the flow of the story line so I didn't read the Dark Elf Trilogy, and instead went to this one (Legacy of the Drow). I was very pleased after reading this series. Salvatore's descriptions during fight/battle sequences are what I noticed first when reading his writing. You feel like you don't miss a single move when reading one of these scenes. Another thing I liked about this series in particular is the characters really start to come alive. Drizzt and friends have very interesting backgrounds, most of the time their pasts coming back to haunt each character. You start to understand each characters traits and you see how it effects their actions throughout the story.
I've been a fan of the fantasy genre for a while now. Whether it's movies, video games or books. Salvatore is a good author to look into if you want to start reading some fantasy fiction. I would start with the Dark Elf Trilogy or the Icewind Dale Trilogy if you are starting out. This is a definite recommendation to those that finished and enjoyed reading the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

311: Enlarged to Show Detail, Vol. 2 [Import]
311: Enlarged to Show Detail, Vol. 2 [Import]
DVD ~ 311
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 133.65
9 used & new from CDN$ 5.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't need to see all of that, Jan. 14 2003
There were a couple of things I looked forward to when I got this DVD. Most of all I wanted to see live concert footage. I'm a huge 311 fan but I don't go out to see live events. This DVD had enough live concert footage to please me, so I was not dissapointed with that. Second was their music videos. I don't watch MTV, and i'm sure even if I did tune into that channel I would never catch one of their videos playing. The videos were there, so I can't complain about that. Last I wanted the bonus CD. I try to collect all their music and was a big reason I liked the first Enlarged to Show Detail, because of the bonus tracks.
All the other footage they put on the DVD is what sunk the whole thing for me. The first 311 Enlarged to Show Detail had lots of band interviews that really tried to show who these guys were. This edition has lots of behind the scenes footage of the band, but it's mostly just the guys goofing around and not doing anything worth watching. The milk challenge was the dumbest thing i've ever seen. I wish they had just left that out.
I'm still a fan of 311, but this DVD just doesn't deserve more then 2 stars in my opinion.

Hidden Invasion - PlayStation 2
Hidden Invasion - PlayStation 2
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 18.98
9 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, Jan. 1 2003
This is a run around and beat up the bad buys with punching and kicking combo's. The game tosses in the ability to use different type of fire arms, and instead of just trying to beat up all the bad guys to complete the level you must follow some objectives (ex: defuse all the bombs in XX amount of time) to make it through each level. I'm usually a BIG fan of these types of games, ever since I started playing Final Fight at the old arcade I've been hooked. I usually try to find and play all the other "beat'em up" style games out there.
Starting with the first problem I noticed with this game is the very annoying floating camera that follows you around. It constantly gives you strange angles to play in and when in 2 player mode the camera angles situation is much worse. There is a button to reset the camera behind the back of your character but I want to beat up guys, not constantly try to find a good camera angle!
The lack of type of attacks is another let down. Maybe I just didn't discover all of the moves, but you basically can do a punching combo, a kicking combo, and a punch then end with a kick combo (not even a jumping attack added, what game character can survive without one of those??...*humour*). Like alot of other beat'em up games you can grapple your enemy, but you're just limited to punching them or throwing them when you grab a hold of the bad guys. You cannot combine the different moves to have a more creative combo. It's just too simple for me to keep interest in it.
Last thing I didn't like about the game is your constantly getting knocked down. The bad guys are pretty ruthless and are always taking aim with their guns, and doing single hit knock downs. You'll find yourself constantly flying to the ground.
There's alot of higher quality games to spend your time with out there. Pass this one up.