Profile for Kevin Deluca > Reviews

Content by Kevin Deluca
Top Reviewer Ranking: 148

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kevin Deluca "KDakota630" (London, ON)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender (White)
DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender (White)
Price: CDN$ 76.94
2 used & new from CDN$ 76.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but minor complaints, Oct. 22 2011
I've only used this unit once this morning making myself a protein/fruit smoothie, but I was happy with the results. I did have some other issues that I wanted to share though to help others before buying this unit.

First and foremost, the product description is incorrect. It's not a 700W, 2-speed, it's a 380W 1-speed hand blender (edit: it actually IS a 2-speed. I accidentally found the slow-speed button after a couple of months). When the box arrived it says so on the sticker on the box, but the box doesn't state it at all, nor does the pamphlet inside. I went to the DeLonghi website and sure enough, it's 380W. Amazon.ca says they get the product descriptions from the suppliers. DeLonghi offers 4 different packages, 3 of which seem to be with this blender but with different attachments. Had I known it was only a 380W and not 700W, I likely would've looked harder at the Russell Hobbs unit. At the time it was about $2 more, currently $5 less than this DeLonghi model, but with 550W of power and more attachments. The biggest reason I didn't order that model was that I needed my Braun product replaced immediately and the DeLonghi model could arrive within 48 hours (it did), whereas the Russell Hobbs unit said it would be 1-2 months. Nothing against the DeLonghi, but if you can wait 1-2 months, you're getting more power with the Russell Hobbs, more attachments, $5 cheaper, and it already has 3 positive reviews to back it up. Plus is comes with the measuring cup designed to be used with a hand blender. In Amazon.ca's defense, their customer services was great as usual when I've required it. While they haven't corrected the description yet (edit: it is corrected now), they apologized for the misunderstanding and offered me a refund including shipping since the error was on their end. Since I can't wait 1-2 months for the other model, I've decided to keep this one as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm just a little disappointed since I was expecting a 700W blender.

This blender was a replacement for a cheaper plastic Braun 200W unit that I definitely got my money's worth from. This blender was quieter than my old one, and seemed to blend better, but definitely differently, and it will take a little getting used to its nuances compared to the old one due to the different design of the blender attachment. It's definitely an improvement over the old one though. I wanted to do my review after trying to use the food processor attachment because I want to see how well it can make almond butter, but thought doing it quickly might help someone else who thinks they're getting a 700W blender.

One drawback was that it doesn't come with a shaker cup like my old one did. In the past I've ordered extra cups so I was fine there, but if this is going to be your first hand blender, I highly recommend getting a cup (or several) that is designed to be used with a hand blender.

Bottom Line: I'm happy with mine so far after one use. It looks good and appears to be very well constructed. I'm sure it will last me for many years of very regular use. However, if you have the time to wait, I would go with the aforementioned Russell Hobbs model.

(Edit: I've had the unit for about a year or so, maybe more, and sticking to my 4-star rating. It didn't make almond butter as well as I'd have liked. Making almond butter requires blending for a long time which will require you to stop mid-way through to let the unit cool. I'm not sure that would be any different from other hand blenders (probably not), but figured that should be mentioned. One other drawback is the actual blender attachment, which doesn't always fit into the motor perfectly. It's hard to explain, but the piece inside the stainless steel shaft can slide a bit out of place and you have to make sure it's back where it's supposed to be otherwise you risk stripping where the two pieces attach.)

(Second Edit, April 25, 2013: In the previous edit I made a comment about how the piece inside the stainless steel shaft was slightly too long and needed to be pushed back into place. About 2 weeks ago that issue came to a head. It being too long was causing some slippage from the place where the blade assembly connected to the motor. It finally started stripping that piece and then completely stopped working. The motor still worked, but would no longer connect to the blade shaft, hence, the entire thing became useless. Too bad, because the motor was fantastic. So my 4-star rating has been changed to a 2-star. I bought a Breville hand-blender as a replacement and while not as powerful, I'm very impressed so far and am waiting a little bit longer before writing a review on it. Skip this one entirely.)

The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy
The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy
by Bill Carter
27 used & new from CDN$ 1.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, June 28 2011
If you were following the saga surrounding Conan O'Brien's and Jay Leno's battle for The Tonight Show at all and wanted to know the intimate details of what was going on behind the scenes and why, then this book is definitely worth reading and will likely be difficult to put down.

It touches a bit on the original battle for The Tonight Show between Jay Leno (again) and David Letterman without rehashing too much of it, but enough if you don't know that story (which is another great book by the same author called The Late Shift which was also made into a made-for-TV movie) and how NBC went out of their way to avoid a similar situation from reoccurring, but wound up in pretty much the exact same situation.

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Rock
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Rock
DVD ~ DVD
Offered by Deal Beat
Price: CDN$ 21.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Chris Rock, Just Not This DVD, Dec 27 2008
I like these SNL compilation DVDs, and I own a few others that I've watched repeatedly.

Also, I love Chris Rock! He's one of my favourite comedians and has been for a number of years.

I recently got this DVD for Christmas that someone purchased for me from my wishlist, and watched it last night.

While it wasn't a terrible DVD, I can't see myself watching it a second time. He's really funny when he's performing his own material like in the "Weekend Update" bits, but only moderately funny in the sketches. I always liked him on SNL, so perhaps they chose poor sketches to put on the DVD.

I decided to give it a 2-star rating because it's not awful, but I can't recommend it, even if you're a Chris Rock fan like myself. If you want to see him at his best (and don't mind the language) I HIGHLY recommend picking up his HBO specials, Bring The Pain and Bigger And Blacker.

Have More Money Now
Have More Money Now
by John Layfield
Price: CDN$ 15.33
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, but Not Great, Nov. 26 2007
This review is from: Have More Money Now (Paperback)
I've owned this book for a while and finally got around to reading it.

The financial advice book I read before it was The Motley Fool: You Have More Money Than You Think, and I'm glad I read that one first. It's the better book of the two, with a lot of the same information. The Motley Fool book has humour as does this one, but overall I found more information in The Motley Fool, and better written.

If you're a wrestling (or just a John Layfield) fan, you'll likely enjoy the stories he's included, as I did. However, I found it extremely repetitive in parts. He must've mentioned at least 20x in the first couple of chapters about how he hit a crossroads with only $27 in his pocket.

It's not a bad read or bad financial advice. It's very simple, straight-forward, and sound. I just think there are better offerings out there. I would give The Motley Fool: You Have More Money Than You Think 5 stars compared to Have More Money Now's rating of 3 stars that I've given it.

If you're buying it for the stories and entertainment value, than by all means get a copy. If you're looking for financial advice, you won't be disappointed either, but there are better easy-to-read books offering similar advice.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
by Bret Hart
30 used & new from CDN$ 1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Impossible to Put Down, Nov. 7 2007
I got my copy roughly a week ago, and I found it very hard to put down. It comes across as a very honest account of Bret Hart's family life, and mostly his wrestling career. He doesn't take any cheap shots at anyone but doesn't pull any punches either, including about himself.

At times he comes off as possibly being a bit braggadocios, but considering how highly regarded by others considered icons in wrestling, it's hard to dispute his claims.

Much like Mick Foley's first book, if you follow professional wrestling you will absolutely love this book, but even if you don't it's still interesting and well-written enough to be enjoyable.

One thing some readers might be disappointed about is that there isn't anything mentioned about Chris Benoit regarding the murder-suicide, although his death at a young age is lumped in with some other wrestlers that died young as well at roughly the same time. I think that can be forgiven as he likely isn't the right person to give much insight into that situation. While they did know each other personally, Bret didn't know Chris Benoit as well as others and their careers didn't cross paths often, although Bret definitely regarded Chris highly as a wrestler.

If you are a wrestling fan, reading this book should be an absolute no-brainer.

Monty Python's Life of Brian (Widescreen) [Import]
Monty Python's Life of Brian (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Graham Chapman
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 50.91
15 used & new from CDN$ 1.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, but not one of Python's best, Nov. 10 2006
By all means, you could check out this movie as there are some hilarious moments in it, but it is kind of slow moving or drags in portions, and in others it almost gets too witty for its own good and the humour is lost.

It starts with the 3 Wise Men showing up in Bethlehem and arriving at the wrong house which is a great scene, followed by a scene where a fight breaks out over what Jesus is saying, and from there, another hilarious scene of a stoning with a vendor selling quality stones, much higher than the free ones scattered all over the ground.

If you've seen a Monty Python film before, then you know what to expect with this one. If you haven't, I'd recomment seeing Monty Python's Quest For the Holy Grail first, followed by The Meaning of Life.

Over the Hedge (Widescreen/ Bilingual)
Over the Hedge (Widescreen/ Bilingual)
Price: CDN$ 9.97
15 used & new from CDN$ 4.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun that can be enjoyed by the entire family, Nov. 4 2006
I don't think it's quite worth of the 5 stars I gave it, but it's closer to a 5 than it is a 4.

Anybody can enjoy this one, but particularly if you have young children with you. First rate animation, and a first rate story as well, with plenty of laughs. The only disappointing character of the bunch was the skunk played by Wanda Sykes. Don't get me wrong, she's not bad in it, but she's MUCH funnier than what they let her do in the film.

Good balance of humour and story, and of course has the happy ending that everyone expects.

Newsradio: Season 4
Newsradio: Season 4
DVD ~ Dave Foley
Price: CDN$ 18.65
31 used & new from CDN$ 4.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Newradio's best, Sept. 3 2006
This review is from: Newsradio: Season 4 (DVD)
When Khandi Alexander left at the beginning of season 4, some of the plots became a little uneven, and the balance of the show was thrown off slightly, the humour and wackiness more than made up for her loss.

Some of Newsradio's best episodes appear in season 4.

Definitely well worth the purchase price, as you'll probably watch them over and over again.

Newsradio: The Complete Third Season
Newsradio: The Complete Third Season
DVD ~ Dave Foley
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 19.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 11.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic season of Newsradio, Sept. 3 2006
This was an absolute gem of a show that got moved around the network schedule far too often. Sadly, the show was cancelled after its 5th season, although at that point, probably deservedly so. With the departure of Phil Hartman after season 4, it just wasn't the same show. That's not to say the show became bad, it just became average.

During season 3 Newsradio was still in peak form, and is one of the all-time best sitcoms on television.

If you like great sitcoms, this is one of the best you'll find, along with Arrested Development, Cheers, and Seinfeld.

With Newsradio, the 5th season is the only one where purchasing the set is debatable. Personally, I'll be getting it just to finish the set. This (along with season 4, and seasons 1&2) are unmissable!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest show EVER on television, Sept. 3 2006
I just got Season Three and have only watched most of the first disc, but I've seen them all on TV anyway. Even though they knew the writing was on the wall and the show was about to be cancelled, they still held nothing back and this season is just as funny as the first two.

The only drawback to the show was that it had to be closely followed by the viewer, or you'd miss the humour which is probably why the show never had good ratings, much like Police Squad. Let's hope the rumours are true about an AD movie.

Another complaint about the show by critics was that too much of the humour was "insider humour" and that the average viewer wouldn't get it. While that is true, I don't think it takes away from the show to the casual TV viewer, but makes it so much more funny to those who understand it.

If you're on the fence about the purchasing the series, I encourage you to get them all. You won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3