Profile for Melissa Kaplan > Reviews

Content by Melissa Kaplan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Melissa Kaplan (Northern California, USA)

Loco for Lizards
Loco for Lizards
by Northland Editors
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Loco for Loco For Lizards, Aug. 22 2000
This review is from: Loco for Lizards (Paperback)
Okay, I'll confess up front: I'm in this book. But when author Jim Cherry first contacted me to interview me for his book, I really didn't have a clear idea what the book was going to be about, other than the fact that it wasn't going to be about the care of captive lizards nor was it to be a natural history book about wild lizards.
Well, Jim was wrong about that: the book is wild. It's wildly fun and colorful, a cornucopia of lizardly facts and artifacts, with lizards in history, lizards in movies, lizards on the walls, even lizards on CDs. Jim has put together a kaleidoscopic collection of information, art work and more in the exploration of the human relationship with lizards, both as living animals and graphic representations in a wide range of media and cultures.
As a herp keeper and educator, I read a lot of books on reptiles. Loco For Lizards was a real treat for me, a welcome and often laugh-filled break from the mundane. A must buy for those interested in lizards in whatever form, as well as a great gift for the herper on your list.