Profile for PJ > Reviews

Content by PJ

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

PJ (Central PA)

The Victorian House Coloring Book
The Victorian House Coloring Book
by Daniel Lewis
Price: CDN$ 5.22
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxing creative fun for adults and older kids, July 11 2004
My daughter and I bought some Dover coloring books and a huge box of colored pencils for a recent plane trip. Coloring was a lot of fun and very relaxing; the images in these grown-up coloring books are detailed and lovely. I'll definitely buy more of these books for myself, for presents when people are in the hospital, birthday presents, etc.

Dead Famous
Dead Famous
by Carol Oconnell
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but choppy, Nov. 3 2003
This review is from: Dead Famous (Hardcover)
Carol O'Connell's writing is wonderful, with vivid descriptions and delicious sentences and metaphors. Despite that, I found the plot (plots?) choppy, and the book overall schizophrenic. The book shifts focus too many times, from Riker and Johanna, to Mallory, to psychological descriptions on various characters' craziness. It began with a creepy-seeming emphasis on Johanna's physical characteristics, but the creepy tone was dropped almost immediately and her deformity was not important, so I'm not at all sure why it was even in there. The end - or the last half or third - was pretty drawn out and really bounced around a lot. It'd be interesting to try to outline this book, using color-coding to note the focus and tone - I think that would show how disjointed it is. It almost seems like parts were written by different authors, or like O'Connell was experiencing very different moods as she wrote it, and never went back to try to reconcile the different sections. Read it anyway, because I think Riker's development in this book may be important to the next book.

Angels & Demons
Angels & Demons
by Dan Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 11.99
405 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't plan to do anything else, July 10 2003
Don't plan to do anything else but read, when you start Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. If I could give it more than five stars I would. I usually read for a half hour or hour at bedtime, but this book was so intriguing that I devoured it in a day and a long night - literally could not come up for air. (sorry about the cliches, but they really fit this book!) The loss of sleep was worth it. Brown's research into the Vatican, physics, the science-religion debate, churches and architecture and statues in Rome, and the Illuminati was really intricate, and made the book seem very realistic. I do not like books with a religious theme or sub-theme, as they tend to be preachy. However, here Brown raised various sides of issues that really got my mind engaged. The science-religion issues were essential to the book and seamlessly interwoven with the thrilling chase through the Vatican and Rome to find the killer and stop the anti-matter explosion. Brown put lots of twists in the book - some were easy to anticipate, but the obvious isn't always correct. Each time I thought the book had reached its climax something new happened and it kept going. If you don't like too much violence (I don't), you may be turned off by the first chapter - but stick it out - there are only a few graphic parts, and Brown doesn't stretch them out too much. The book was full of tension, and I was delighted at the end to crack up laughing out loud at a line that was totally unexpected and helped bring me back to reality. Be sure to allow yourself plenty of uninterrupted time for this one, because you may find it hard to put down!

The Vendetta Defense
The Vendetta Defense
by Lisa Scottoline
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vendetta Defense is Lisa's BEST, March 7 2001
This review is from: The Vendetta Defense (Hardcover)
Wow, Lisa Scottoline has really topped herself with the Vendetta Defense. Pigeon Tony is exasperating as he insists on telling the judge that yes, he killed Angelo, and yes, he wanted to, but no, "I no murder!" His justification fits Italian culture, but not United States law. He drives defense attorney Judy Carrier crazy as he keeps insisting "I tell judge", while she does just about everything to prevent him incriminating himself. Lisa Scottoline's characters are so real, I would know Tony (and his parade of friends, "the Tonys") in an instant if saw them or heard them talking. Judy is real too, as we get to know her through her mental dialogue, her own self-doubts contrasted with righteous indignation about the offenses Tony and his family suffered at the hands of Antonio. She knows what's right, but she also knows the law. The characters are what makes this book stand apart, but the plot is solid, the issues strong, and the writing superb. If you haven't discovered Scottoline, this is the time, and if she's already on your list of favorites, she just might move up to the top!