Profile for L. Brubacher > Reviews

Content by L. Brubacher

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

L. Brubacher (Ontario)

Page: 1 | 2
The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way
by Julia Cameron
Price: CDN$ 15.16
52 used & new from CDN$ 11.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Do-it-Yourself Workshop, April 18 2014
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I loved doing this workshop because I could do it in the privacy of my own home, and when it suited my schedule. Julia Cameron raises some very provocative questions and gives excellent guidance on how to become unblocked. Even though I was doing the work for reasons other than becoming creatively unblocked, I found it extremely helpful in getting me to look at things I may otherwise not have encountered.
The only issue I have with her book is her constant reference to the word "God". There has to be a better way to address that when writing to an audience that embraces everyone, not just believers in God.
I nonetheless found it a very helpful tool in getting to take a more introspective look at myself. Highly recommended.

The Artist's Way Workbook
The Artist's Way Workbook
by Julia Cameron
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: CDN$ 16.97
45 used & new from CDN$ 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful tool, April 18 2014
This workbook is a must if you're planning on "doing" The Artist's Way. It makes all the homework so much easier. I can't imagine reading The Artist's Way without the workbook. There's lots of room for your answers, and it's easy to keep everything organized.

The Denial of Death
The Denial of Death
by Ernest Becker
Price: CDN$ 12.99
33 used & new from CDN$ 7.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date..., Dec 18 2012
This review is from: The Denial of Death (Paperback)
I bought this book because Elizabeth Kuhbler Ross reviewed it with such a positive spin. I was anticipating a book that would help this generation approach death a little more openly, give us a bit more understanding as to how we can embrace this aspect of living as well. However, since it was written in 1973, the psychological information is very outdated. To be honest, I ended up skimming the largest part of the book because it was such dry reading. Not at all what I was expecting, and did not answer any of the questions I had hoped it might.
It does review and compare all the psychological views of the well-known psychologists like Freud, Jung, Rank, etc, etc, so if you're interested in a history lesson, go for it!

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
by Deborah Moggach
Price: CDN$ 12.96
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Nov. 5 2012
I highly recommend NOT reading this book if you're doing so because you loved the movie. It is NOTHING like the movie. Only a few names are the same, but the characters are entirely different. I saw the movie three times, then decided I'd like to read the book to get more details on some of the stories and characters. It was a total disappointment and I've thrown the book in the garbage.

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean - Roncesvalles - Santiago
A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean - Roncesvalles - Santiago
by John Brierley
11 used & new from CDN$ 164.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Camino de Santiago, Sept. 21 2011
Since I'm just contemplating walking the Camino de Santiago, I bought this book based on the suggestion of my friend who did in fact walk the entire Camino this summer. She loved the book and found it a very useful tool. I read through the introduction and all the daily thoughts as well as the conclusions and found it very compelling. Would recommend it for anyone interested in pilgrimage.

Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
by Judith Duerk
Price: CDN$ 13.68
47 used & new from CDN$ 3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Circle of Stones, Sept. 7 2011
I read this book in one sitting. It is beautifully written in a soothing meditative style, specifically addressing women and their sadnesses. I loved it for it's honesty and integrity, and for giving me something to work on in myself. As women, we have been bound for generations by duty and obligation... to our families, our friends, our communities. This book gives us the permission we need to go in search of ourselves without the guilt that past generations would have inflicted upon us. I loved it and bought it for my daughters and sisters.

What Disturbs Our Blood: A Son's Quest to Redeem the Past
What Disturbs Our Blood: A Son's Quest to Redeem the Past
by James FitzGerald
Price: CDN$ 21.91
26 used & new from CDN$ 8.70

5.0 out of 5 stars What Disturbs Our Blood, Sept. 7 2011
One of the most intriguing and insightful books on the study of human psychology, this book had me riveted from beginning to end. Fabulously written, James Fitzgerald deserves high literary praise, as well as huge credit for the groundbreaking work he's done to uncover the stories of his own ancestors, that ultimately helped him search and find solutions for his own life. This book is one of my favourites on the subject of mental illness and how little we know about it. I can't recommend it enough!!!

The Gift of Forgiveness: A Magical Encounter with don Miguel Ruiz
The Gift of Forgiveness: A Magical Encounter with don Miguel Ruiz
by Olivier Clerc
Price: CDN$ 9.86
44 used & new from CDN$ 1.38

3.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Forgiveness, Feb. 14 2011
First of all, this book was too much money for the few pages in it. I felt disappointed that it covered such a small insight, and to be honest, I didn't feel it was that helpful. The most helpful part was the afterthought section, where he reviews Miguel Ruiz' four agreements. All in all, it wasn't worth the money.

Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
by Kathleen Dean Moore
Price: CDN$ 14.40
41 used & new from CDN$ 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Comfort, Nov. 30 2010
Because the author writes this book after the death of a number of close friends, I found myself absorbing her grief for the first half of the book. I had to put it down for a while and re-group a bit, then was able to finish the rest and appreciate how she processed and managed her grief through her writings. KD Moore is an incredibly colourful and descriptive writer. This book if chuck full of new and interesting ways to describe life and nature. Her intense love of nature comes through in every word. Although it may not have been her intention, she definitely makes a solid case for allowing yourself to heal through the gifts of nature. This is not a book to be read from cover to cover like a novel, but more as a meditative sort of reading. Take it slow, let it sink in....
I read this book because it was a choice made by our women's book club. All of us loved it, although some did find it difficult at the beginning. Definitely recommended reading!

The Christ Is Not a Person: The Evolution of Consciousness and the Destiny of Man
by J. C. Tefft
Price: CDN$ 30.61
19 used & new from CDN$ 27.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The Christ is Not a Person, Feb. 3 2010
LOVED, loved, loved this book for it's fresh look at the old, stifling religious views we were raised with. It is a much needed breath of fresh air and a book I would love all those who are stuck in the religious rut to read. Mind opening!!! J.C. Tefft is truly enlightened and this book has shed light on all that I have believed in the past.

Page: 1 | 2