Profile for PenBenz > Reviews

Content by PenBenz

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

PenBenz (Canada)

Purpose Driven Life
Purpose Driven Life
by Rick Warren
Price: CDN$ 17.86
47 used & new from CDN$ 6.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, May 14 2014
This review is from: Purpose Driven Life (Hardcover)
I received this book as a gift in 2003, and I read it back then because I underlined a couple of things in the section on temptation. Ten years later, and after being fired from a place I had worked in for over 17 years, I re-read it, and what a difference a life-altering event makes in appreciating the wisdom that Rick Warren has to offer! I especially liked the chapter on surrender (Chapter 10), but the whole book is full of practical, if difficult, advice that will really make you think. I'm not really sure how helpful the last chapters are in terms of writing down a spiritual notebook, but I still highly recommend this book, specially if you're going through a difficult time and need some spiritual guidance.

X-Men: First Class (Bilingual)
X-Men: First Class (Bilingual)
DVD ~ James McAvoy
Price: CDN$ 5.00
16 used & new from CDN$ 4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars X-CELLENT MOVIE (sorry - not original, but couldn't resist)!!!, Oct. 10 2011
I had to see this movie in the theater when I saw the great cast. James McAvoy was x-cellent (of course), but it was SUCH a nice surprise to see Michael Fassbender in a big-budget, Hollywood movie! Of course, he's great in the events of this one and he has the right gravitas for a young Magneto. Great chemistry between him and James McAvoy makes the story believably bittersweet and enlightens your understanding of the previous X-Men movies which happen after this movie. On a side note, if you would like to see Michael Fassbender's AWESOME acting gift, check out "Hunger", an indie film about the IRA hunger strike in Margaret Thatcher's England - he's incredible in it!!!)

Thor (Bilingual Widescreen Edition)
Thor (Bilingual Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Chris Hemsworth
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 50.81
6 used & new from CDN$ 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Chris Hemsworth body - WOW!!!, Oct. 10 2011
I'd heard raves about this movie from friends and family, so to be perfectly honest, it did not live up to my expectations bases on the hype I'd heard. Still, it's a very good movie, with a great cast and good directing from Kenneth Branagh (which was another reason I bought it). Absolutely, hands-down, THE best scene of this movie is the one with a shirtless Chris Hemsworth - WOW!!!

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Price: CDN$ 15.16
42 used & new from CDN$ 7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PERFECT NOVEL, July 7 2006
This review is from: To Kill A Mockingbird (Paperback)
This novel is PERFECT - character, setting, conflict, pacing, message, relevance - there is NO area in which in falls short.

I've read this book five times, and it has brought me to tears each time - the writing is that good and that fresh even on a re-read. This is the only novel Harper Lee wrote. On the one hand, it's a shame that such a gifted writer only gave us one novel. On the other, anything else she wrote would have been compared to this novel, and how do you improve perfection?

The Historian
The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova
Price: CDN$ 27.96
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT ENOUGH STORY, July 7 2006
This review is from: The Historian (Hardcover)
This novel is about 150 pages too long, has way too much history (ironically enough), and uses the first-person narrative too often. The best part of the book is the first third, but gets bogged down in so much historical detail, that I was past caring even when Dracula himself appears. Kostova's writing and her set-up was good enough in the beginning that I wanted to finish the book, even when I was forcing myself to do so. Too much history, not enough vampire fiction.