Profile for Rosemary Gwaltney > Reviews

Content by Rosemary Gwaltney

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rosemary Gwaltney (Idaho, USA)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures
by Anne Fadiman
110 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fascinating book!, Feb. 11 2004
While this book's main focus is a study of the differences between the Hmong culture, and American society, there is much about little Lia as well. Lia was born with a seizure disorder. Her family had a heartbreaking time, transplanting to the United States, and being expected to conform to an incomprehensible new culture, while trying to help their precious baby girl. My heart goes out to the Lee family. I found this deep and complex book fascinating. I've read it four times.

Winged Migration
Winged Migration
DVD ~ Jacques Perrin
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating film with majestic photography!, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: Winged Migration (DVD)
I've always enjoyed nature films, but this is one enormous step above most. I have watched it again and again. With awe inspiring beauty, a bit of pathos, and more than a little hilarity, this film almost makes me wish to be a bird. I am so glad I found it.

Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived
Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived
by Maria Housden
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannah was a brilliant, fascinating little girl., April 9 2003
I think everything I would have said, has been said, except for one thing. It is plain to see that Maria Housden's children were/are both exceptionally gifted children.
Little Hannah was extraordinarily verbal, and good at putting her feelings into words at a very young age. She was a loving child with a keen sense of humor, lots of good healthy spunk, and an excellent and sensitive intelligence.
By the time three year old Hannah nears her dying, I find myself loving her as though I had known her all her life, and grieving myself. That is how well her mother lets us be acquainted with her daughter. And that is a tremendous gift.
I would think that this book would be very comforting, and also very informative for anyone whose child has terminal cancer.
As for everyone else in the world - this book lets us look in a precious quiet peek-hole to the life, hilarity, imagination, and laughter of a fascinating, precocious little girl. Thank you, Maria! May God bless you and yours.

The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
by no Komachi Ono
Price: CDN$ 13.72
39 used & new from CDN$ 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent book, Dec 28 2002
This book is among my most treasured. These women's love and longing is so eloquently worded, and could be the very same heartaches any woman experiences today. A fascinating glimpse into a society I could only imagine. Excellently translated tanka. Extremely good. I would recomend it highly to anyone.