Profile for Thomas Hood > Reviews

Content by Thomas Hood

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Hood "veggiebear" (Lowell, MA USA)

Apache Cookbook
Apache Cookbook
by Ken Coar
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Guide your understanding through examples., March 14 2004
This review is from: Apache Cookbook (Paperback)
Yeah, Apache has thorough documentation at apache.org, and yeah, after 6 or 7 years I've learned a lot by reading through Apache's conf files. But this book does a few things extremely well to make configuration much easier, quicker, and better.
There's good examples - you expect that with a name like "cookbook". But each example is backed-up with excellent explanations and references. The particular problems I've wanted to solve haven't matched the book's examples, but they've been close enough to adapt the solutions to what I've needed.
I've also appreciated how much this book has helped me how to *think* in Apache. Its use of examples and explanations helps to paint a top-down view of Apache, and help me analyze problems methodically instead of hunt-and-peck through a flock of random configuration parameters.
A nice combination of technical know-how, tuturial, and clear writing makes this a darned useful book for me.

Entre Nous [Import]
Entre Nous [Import]
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 427.54
6 used & new from CDN$ 52.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, ok plot, BAD subtitles, Aug. 20 2001
This review is from: Entre Nous [Import] (DVD)
There is a problem with the subtitles - at least with the DVD version of this movie - which makes following the story very difficult. [I don't usually mind subtitles - in most subtitled movies, I've forgotten that I'm reading them and have no problem with them.)
The subtitles appear on the screen only during the *exact* time the words are being spoken, and not a second longer. This means that it's very hard to read two-line subtitles, and often hard to even read multi-word single-line subtitles.
I'm a quick reader, but there were dozens of times during this film where I'd be watching the characters and completely miss what the subtitle said. Or, I'd get frustrated and spend my time focused on the subtitles and miss the actions and expressions of the characters.
Apart from the technical aspects, the plot and situations are right out of a "Lifetime Movie of the Week", but the characters are fascinating. I found myself thinking about the characters and their inter-relationships days after the movie ended.

MAC OS X Web Server Handbook
MAC OS X Web Server Handbook
by David L. Hart
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.07

2.0 out of 5 stars More like a catalog than a handbook, June 12 2001
There's nothing in this book that's either complete or concrete. For example, the Apache web server comes standard with X, but this book spends only 6 pages with it; 2 of those pages explain how to use the GUI to turn the web server on or off. (The book is called "Web Server Handbook", right?)
When you're talking Unix and mail servers, the first thing that comes to mind is the freeware Sendmail program, which is available for OS X. Oops, "Sendmail" isn't even in the index of this book.
On the other hand, the book does devote 12 pages to "Choosing a Browser". 12 pages about choosing a web browser? This isn't something I couldn't figure out for myself?
So, what fills the rest of the pages? Glossy catalog style descriptions of Real Player and Quick Time, iTools and Communigate Pro. With less information than you can get from their respective web pages. There's a quick (surprisingly short) overview of network security. A nice introductory writeup of what TCP/IP is all about. You'll find a few reasonable snippet code examples. There's a good but overly brief introduction to databases. And there's some lightweight filler material about XML, XHTML, HTML, PHP, Java, and other buzzwords.
If you're new to all of this, this book jumps over too many topics to make it worth bothering with. If you're experienced, this book doesn't really cover anything you don't already know.