Profile for BADASSGIRLHEAD > Reviews

Content by BADASSGIRLHEAD

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BADASSGIRLHEAD (Chicago,IL,USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm
The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm
by Jack Zipes
Price: CDN$ 29.95
21 used & new from CDN$ 8.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tales, April 26 2004
I do like this book but I really didn't think they needed a third edition, when the second one is perfectly fine.
This is the book to get for these classic wonderful fairy tales that we all have grown up with.
There the few stories that many people know all over the world and something that we all can enjoy, no matter how old we get.

Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Unofficial Critical Companion to Buffy and Angel
by Roz Kaveney
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bible Book for BTVS, April 26 2004
It is true that this does not contain any new information for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. However, that really isn't the point of the book.
This is more of a references book for any one who wanted to know any thing ( and probably more then you needed to know,) about Buffy.
It is very well organized and easy to read, and understand.
In the very first chapter you learn who the key players are ( ie, Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, and etc...) As well as pass relationships and family units.
The book also has a full episode guide through season one to seven. Short description of each episode and it also does this for Angel.
There are also some side notes on script format and tie in notes for ideas for the show.
A helping book for any one who is just getting interested in Buffy, or for one who has been, a lone time fan.

Meet Me in St. Louis: Special Edition (Sous-titres franais)
Meet Me in St. Louis: Special Edition (Sous-titres franais)
DVD ~ Margaret O'brien
Price: CDN$ 21.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 18.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy Next Door Meets The Girl Next Door, April 21 2004
What can't I say about this movie? Or more precisely, what can I not say about this movie. I remember watching this on television when I was a little girl years ago. I was so happy when I saw it on DVD at my local Barns and Nobles.
When I first got it I didn't even really noticed the two disc special However, when I did I was very happy about it.
There is so much on this two disc set. That I haven't been able to watch it all. This is a beautiful 60th anniversary restored version.
If like me you remember the some what bad colored version at the time on tv. Because they just really hadn't gotten around to restoring classic films.
It has been digitally transferred from the restored picture and as well as audio elements.
Even Judy's daughter Liza Minneli gives a rather sweet introduction about the movie and her parents.
This is an A+ movie and I recommend it to any body who still loves an old fashioned movie. That doesn't have all of the modern day technology thrown in, ever since they made Matrix, and so forth.
In truth this is just a simple story about a family that lives in ST. Louis. However, there is just something so much more touching about the story then that.
With the cast that the movie has that just makes the story more special and enormous. It really just tacks a life on it's own. I've only real allowed my self a sneak peak at the commentary, but that looks wonderful as well.
You get so much extra footage and such.
You even get the 1966 Meet Me In ST. Louis TV Series Pilot Episode and a very fun, and colorful Vincent Minnelli trailer gallery.
There is just so much joy that you get from this movie. The story is wonderful and the cast all really just seam to have a connection with each other during the time.
And the way that they celebrated the 60th anniversary with this movie is just excellent.
With classic and radiant music attached to the story, and completely reestablished.
This is truly a gem to add to your DVD collection.

Elvis 30 #1 Hits
Elvis 30 #1 Hits
Price: CDN$ 7.99
66 used & new from CDN$ 3.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Top 30 Elvis Songs, April 21 2004
This review is from: Elvis 30 #1 Hits (Audio CD)
This is the first Elvis CD that I had ever listened to. My Dad has a copy of this CD and it's really how I got hocked on Elvis. My entire family likes Elvis really. Even my younger sister just recently got interested in him this past year.
The reason for three stars, is because I have found much better, and brooder Elvis CD collections.
I very highly recommend From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters [BOX SET] and Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters [BOX SET]. The sets are pricey at best. However, you get a lot more hours to listen to Elvis. The on a one CD set.

Man Who Came to Dinner
Man Who Came to Dinner
DVD ~ Nathan Lane
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 200.58
7 used & new from CDN$ 109.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sardonic Hummer At It�s Best, April 21 2004
This review is from: Man Who Came to Dinner (DVD)
I was one of the very few lucky people, who was able to first see this, when it aired on TV in 2000. You have no idea how thrilled I was when I saw it on DVD at a BORDERS a while a go.
Nathan Lane is the cynical tyrant radio host Sheridan Whiteside. Who has some of the most crudest and hysterical one liners I have ever herd in the world.
It's very obvious in the begging that he care for no one but him self. He badgers his hostesses family ' the Stanilys'. To the point were he doesn't allow them in their own kitchen and living room. Let a lone their own library.
Even his well beloved secretary Magi Cutler gets her own problems with him. When she falls in love, with a relatively young, and handsome news paper reporter named Bert Jefferson.
The main cast is also sounded with a wonderfully colorful supporting cast as well. Whiteside and Magi's well meaning friend actor and singer Beverly Carrolton comes for a short Christmas visit.
Though he is some what conceded. Beverly is charming with his own wit, with a relatively small scene for him self.
The true entertainment though is that of Whiteside's friend is Banjo. A rather comical maniac who also comes to see his friend. While he is "in a lot of pain". Whitesied foolishly invites Lorraine Sheldon a highly regard actress in the story. Who Whitesied tries to use with manipulation, so that he can keep Magi to himself.
However, like with a lot of things his plain backfires.
Truly a marvelous cast even though some what small. It is humor and straight through all around fun.

Elvis - The Great Performances (3DVD)
Elvis - The Great Performances (3DVD)
DVD ~ Elvis Presley
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 89.97
9 used & new from CDN$ 66.64

1.0 out of 5 stars A Vague Sneak Peak About the King, April 21 2004
As a relatively new Elvis fan, I generally speaking liked this selection. There are a lot of performances from Elvis's younger year that I very much enjoyed. The thing that bothered me though, was that the narration was very chopped up.
I liked first two discs well enough. The narrator was much more informative and interesting to listen to. However, I was very surprised, and disappointed when they totally switched to someone else on the third disc.
I felt that wa highly unorganized and strange. White the first two discs have fun performances and even some home movies.
The third I believe was just thrown together and made to make extra money. I personally would get something else for Elvis' performances. However, I'm not so disappointed because like I said I am a new Elvis fan. So I believe it's good for people who want a good introduction to him, but not for long time Presely fans though.

Phantom of the Opera 90
Phantom of the Opera 90
DVD ~ Teri Polo
Offered by BuyCDNow Canada
Price: CDN$ 132.85
10 used & new from CDN$ 55.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Intersting Phantom Remake, April 20 2004
This review is from: Phantom of the Opera 90 (DVD)
There are quiet a few Phantom of the Opera retold stories these days. This is one of the first movies that I have seen related to Phantom of the Opera. When I was younger I was enchanted by it.
I liked the fact that we didn't see Erik's face when he showed it to Christine. That was a good move I believe.
However, there are some things about the movie that I didn't really enjoy. They could have tried to get different actress for Christine and Erik's mother ( it's disturbing when you think about it.)
I guess they didn't want to because they wanted to show exactly why Erik is so interested in Christine.
The twist of Erik's father being in the film was interesting and kind of disappointing at the same time.
I liked the chemistry between the two actors. And you could tell that Erik's father does love his son.
However, again not really a Phantom plot line at all.
All and all though it was a very good attempt for a new Phantom film at the time. My one thought is to try out Susan Kay's novel "Phantom". Another Phantom of the Opera retelling.
Very nice.
This movie is good but not really on my favorite list any more. It's good for romance lovers that like semi sad themes , that aren't really well developed.
Either way it was a very interesting and good attempt for another Phantom of the Opera multimedia mix.

Labyrinth (Superbit(TM))
Labyrinth (Superbit(TM))
DVD ~ David Bowie
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 120.34
6 used & new from CDN$ 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream or Reality?, April 20 2004
This review is from: Labyrinth (Superbit(TM)) (DVD)
This is one of my most favorite movies. It's one of those rare films that stayed fresh until I saw again last year. I wasn't disappointed with it at all. Sometimes with movies you h ave false memories of how the story went.
I didn't have a problem like that with this movie at all. Even though there are not many characters in this film ( it mostly revolves around Sarah and King Jareth. ) It is a lot of fun to watch.
It's a great way to get kids interested in fantasy and some what of a family movie as well.

Vertigo (Widescreen)
Vertigo (Widescreen)
DVD ~ James Stewart
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 41.10
9 used & new from CDN$ 9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing Look Into the Human Mind, April 19 2004
This review is from: Vertigo (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is one of my most favorite of film's from Hitchcock's great legacy. I still remember how surprised I was by the way the movie ended. Of course you expect a happy ending for the movie.
However, one should learn to never underestimate Hitchcock. I love how artistic this movie is. And how it takes a life on it's own.
There is so much wonderful suspense in it. I also love the background music. The music is haunting perfect for the move.
Truly one of the master director's great works. That is now truly being cherished in public.

Elvis Presley: A Life In Music
Elvis Presley: A Life In Music
by Ernst Jorgensen
20 used & new from CDN$ 35.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Remembering 'The King', April 19 2004
This is a very informative references book about Elvis. I was wanting to find a good book on Elvis Presley and this was the best one that I saw. I can tell that it was a book of passion for the people who worked on it.
There are not as many pictures as I would have liked ( I love picture books. ) However, it is very interesting and one of the better materials I have found about the man.
The writers are also not afraid of showing Elvis's downward spiral during the last few years of his life.
Like Buddy Holly and John Lennon. A lot of people still believe that Elvis left this Earth too soon.
But the good thing though is that we still have his music and memories. That still make people happy even to day and I hope they still will. In the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4