Profile for Pete Gontier > Reviews

Content by Pete Gontier

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Pete Gontier (San Diego, CA United States)

I Trawl the Megahertz
I Trawl the Megahertz

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a CD., Jan. 26 2004
This review is from: I Trawl the Megahertz (Audio CD)
This is not a CD. This is not a Compact Disc. It does not bear the CD logo.
It is a shiny silver disc which plays in many CD players but few computers.
Run this Google query to see what I mean:
[...]
"We've made sure they would put a very clear warning that you're not buying a compact disc, but something different," said Gerry Wirtz, general manager of the Philips copyright office that governs the CD trademark. "We've been warning some labels to begin with, and they've adjusted their behavior."
Please label this and other similar products clearly.

24 Hour Party People
24 Hour Party People
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 27.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 17.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef, Alf?, Aug. 18 2003
This review is from: 24 Hour Party People (Audio CD)
I'm afraid Alfonso Lozada has missed the point. The film is about a span of time in the life of one person, Tony Wilson, and is thus structured around his experiences. At the same time, the film is not a documentary but a fictionalized account. On top of all this, the "Tony" character does mention the short shrift the Stone Roses get. Is it really a surprise to find the soundtrack album bereft of artists which did not appear in the film?

Millennium (Widescreen)
Millennium (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Kris Kristofferson
Offered by SURPLUSDVD NEW YORK
Price: CDN$ 9.54
3 used & new from CDN$ 9.54

3.0 out of 5 stars novel explains it all, Dec 18 2001
This review is from: Millennium (Widescreen) (DVD)
I haven't seen this film. What?! Then why am I reviewing it? Because I've read the novel AND George Alexeief's review, and I can't help but point out that all George's questions are answered in the novel. Sounds like maybe Varley couldn't see that some of the movie would be incomprehensible to someone who hadn't read the novel. Adapting a novel (ignore Maltin's reference to the short story -- Millennium is a novel) must be more difficult than it might seem.