Profile for Dr. I > Reviews

Content by Dr. I

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dr. I (Lethbridge, AB Canada)

Rake
Rake
DVD ~ Richard Roxburgh
Offered by PaperbackshopCA
Price: CDN$ 27.03
14 used & new from CDN$ 26.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, Feb. 15 2014
This review is from: Rake (DVD)
I cannot say enough good things about the original Rake series from Australia. Cleaver is a lecherous lawyer of the worst kind, yet somehow a person that you want to try to like. The stories are almost literally pulled from the headlines and provide the best satirical look at Australian modern society of any show or movie I have ever seen. If you are squeamish about language or nudity, you will likely be offended by it. For everyone else, this is one of the best written Australian TV shows of all time and I highly recommend it.

On a somewhat related note, the recent attempt by Fox to re-create this show with Greg Kinnear is awful and nowhere near the quality of the original.

When Elves Attack: A Joyous Christmas Greeting from the Criminal Nutbars of the Sunshine State
by Tim Dorsey
Price: CDN$ 10.82
40 used & new from CDN$ 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Why are these books popular?, Feb. 15 2014
After reading many reviews of Tim Dorsey's books, I thought I would try When Elves Attack for my holiday reading. There was virtually no plot and contrary to the description of it, it is not really about the holidays. It happens to be set in December and that's about it. The writing style was not what I expected either based on reviews that drew comparisons with Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. It is devoid of wit and not terribly funny. Spend your money elsewhere.

Burke & Hare [Import]
Burke & Hare [Import]
Price: CDN$ 27.34
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great, Feb. 15 2014
This review is from: Burke & Hare [Import] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this movie because of the story and the cast. The production quality was not great, the film itself drags on for quite a while and the plot is very cliche. Simon Pegg was appropriate for the role, but never seemed to really get into the character as much as he does with most of his other works. It's worth renting (if you can find it), but probably not worth purchasing unless you are a hardcore Simon Pegg fan.

30 Rock: Season Two
30 Rock: Season Two
DVD ~ Tina Fey
Price: CDN$ 24.94
51 used & new from CDN$ 5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Too smart for TV??, June 29 2010
This review is from: 30 Rock: Season Two (DVD)
Season 2 of 30 Rock was every bit as good as the first season and perhaps even a bit funnier at times. I'm often reminded of Arrested Development while watching it, so my biggest fear is that some executive at NBC/Shinehart Wigs will cancel it. So, enjoy it while it lasts!

A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawai'i: The Main Islands and Offshore Waters
by Jim Denny
Price: CDN$ 17.56
31 used & new from CDN$ 13.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for basic birding in Hawaii., March 21 2010
I purchased this book for birding on the Big Island and I was not disappointed. Although generally I prefer classical illustrations for birding, the descriptions of species in the book and the photographs were excellent and far better than the alternatives available (e.g., Audubon guide). This book also provides decent information on what areas to visit for particular species and it was pretty much spot on. We managed to pick up i'iwi, apapane, amakihi and akiapola'au relatively easily as well as most of the introduced upland gamebirds. I did not give this a full 5/5 rating because I think it could be improved by adding an additional couple of photos to the native species descriptions in order to account for colour variation within species. Other than that, a good bird guide that is perfect for Hawaii.