Profile for emmons@montana.com > Reviews

Content by emmons@montana.com

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

emmons@montana.com (Missoula, Montana)

To Drive the Cold Winter Away
To Drive the Cold Winter Away
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 23.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 15.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, and wonderful in any season., Nov. 30 1998
I admit it. I'm an idiot. Why, you ask? Because I refused to play this marvelous CD until the first flakes of snow fell. I hate pushing seasonal music too far, or preparing for Christmas in August, or any number of modern horrors. So I waited patiently, until snow fell on my front lawn. I put this CD, which I had only heard once before, in my stereo, and was dazzled. This is among the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life. The fifth song, "Snow," *is* the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Please, buy this album, but don't be a fool like I was. Listen to it all the time.

Spectrum 5 the Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art: Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
by Arnie Fenner
15 used & new from CDN$ 27.57

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but what's with all the dragons?, Nov. 4 1998
Woo Hoo! The new Spectrum collection is out! You have no idea how thrilled I was to receive this book in the mail from amazon.com. My heartbeat and breath literally quickened as I flipped the pages, revealing every fantastic image. I would consider this book the equal of the previous collection, but with a few differences. First of all, there are no absolute stinkers in this book. There were only three in Spectrum 4, and two by the same artist, but they were very distracting. I'm sure some of you know the paintings I mean. Gun-toting T-rex and monster-stuffed house. This book is stinker-free. But there are also fewer great works, like "Prudence II" or "Number 16" or "Wintermute." Sure, this book has Thom Ang's "Can We Find A Cure for Heart Disease?" and Brom's "Seeker," but there are few more truly exceptional works. Also, there are *way* too many paintings of dragons, and bare-breasted women. Yes, I know this is a collection of fantastic art, but c'mon. Entire pages are dominated by bare-breasted Amazons, or fire-breathing dragons. After the originality of Spectrum 4, this seemed a little generic to me. All in all, this book is an outstanding collection of fantastic artwork, and I am proud to own it. I hope Spectrum 5 garners a Hugo nomination this year.

How Does Your Garden Grow?
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Offered by BestSellerRecordShop
Price: CDN$ 4.92
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Constantly improving itself, the latest offering for BTE., Sept. 6 1998
If you play their three major LPs in order, you can almost feel the band Better than Ezra evolving. They start off as a country rock band like Gin Blossoms. Then move into harder stuff around the level of Bush. With this album, they are fully an alternative rock band. I think the sound works for them. They combine great songs (the best is "Beautiful Mistake" for my money) with technical expertise, and the result is the album I urge you to buy, the one that's going to turn the best American musicians around into stars.

Duncan Sheik
Duncan Sheik
Offered by music4sure Ca
Price: CDN$ 13.88
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A little weak for my tastes., Aug. 3 1998
This review is from: Duncan Sheik (Audio CD)
I originally bought Duncan Sheik's album after hearing "She Runs Away" and "Barely Breathing" and enjoying them both. I was rather disappointed with the album itself. The energy Sheik projects in those two songs is missing in most of the others. But Sheik has an excellent voice, and so gets my recommendation.

The PreHistory of The Far Side:: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
The PreHistory of The Far Side:: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
by Gary Larson
Price: CDN$ 16.60
104 used & new from CDN$ 2.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberation by laughter., July 26 1998
I opened this book and started to read. Within seconds, I had the attention of everyone around me, and I was laughing too hard to be embarrassed. I had just read one of Larson's most controversial cartoons. It's the one where the woman yells for her dog to run through the doggy door, but she's propped the door shut with a wooden board. This is my kind of humor: sick, but not sickening. I wiped the tears from my eyes and stumbled to the cashier, where I bought the book and drove home so I could read it and howl in peace. This book is marvelous. It reminded me of how much I miss "The Far Side". Luckily, I have "Red Meat" to give me my weekly sick humor fix now. But thanks to this book, I'll never forget where my taste in humor came from, and who introduced me to it. Thanks, Mr. Larson!

Last Of The Renshai #1 Last Of The Renshai
Last Of The Renshai #1 Last Of The Renshai
by Mickey Zucker Reichert
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A true epic., July 8 1998
I hope my review of 5 stars knocks that prude's one star right out of contention, making the average review for The Last of the Renshai 5 stars, as it should be. Reichert writes with a style all her own, and should be commended for it. Her heroes are not pompous do-gooders out to save the maiden, but the realistic and inevitable creations of a warrior's upbringing. I respect Reichert for that. I also like the fact that this is a female writer, whose epic tales easily match those of male writers like Tolkien, Jordan, and Moorcock. I am male, but I liked reading a fantasy epic written by a woman for a change. Especially one without the fluff found in many novels by women. I strongly recommend The Last of the Renshai, Reichert's finest novel. As for old "one star" down there, well, who are we to argue with someone who writes a calm review despising the fact that Reichert's heroes aren't Messiahs, and then launches into a frenzied and foamy-mouthed tirade against both Reichert's integrity and her writing ability? Who knows, maybe Reichert did "kiss bottom". I for one, am very glad she did. I'm glad this novel was published, and I'm glad I got the chance to read it.

A Crown of Swords: Book Seven of 'The Wheel of Time'
A Crown of Swords: Book Seven of 'The Wheel of Time'
by Robert Jordan
Price: CDN$ 25.19
83 used & new from CDN$ 1.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bridge Too Far, June 4 1998
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that Lord of Chaos was one of the best books of The Wheel of Time. It introduced some wonderful new characters like Olver and Shaidar Haran. But after the book was done, the unthinkable happened. Robert Jordan must have started listening to the whining wretches. "Work faster! Write more! More! More! More!"(Despite the fact that Jordan is one of the fastest fantasy writers) And so, Jordan churned out A Crown of Swords in record time, and it was a very dissapointing book. It only observes about a week of the characters' lives, and in that week, little happens. The Bowl of the Winds is found, but not used. The "True Power" which seems like just a way for Jordan to explain some inconsistencies late in the game, is revealed. Sammael is "killed", but we all know he is still alive. And Illian joins the ranks of nations supporting Rand, whoopdee-doo. Maybe I'm just spoiled. Maybe the action and excitement of Lord of Chaos affected my judgment. But if you're going to expect your readers to buy 10 $30 volumes, at least make them exciting! I have high hopes for the future, however. Now that Jordan is taking his time, I bet the next novel will be one of the best. With the Return of the Return of the Seanchan, and the Aes Sedai civil war, I know that The Path of Daggers will be wonderful.
May the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Visit
The Visit
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loreena McKennit's best work., June 3 1998
This review is from: The Visit (Audio CD)
I hope people think that because of the success of The Book of Secrets, that is McKennit's best album or the only one worth buying. No, this is the album to start with, McKennit's best. Songs like "The Old Ways" and "Bonny Portmore" are truly beautiful. I recommend this CD to anyone: Celtic fans, literature fans, and fans of gorgeous, wonderful music.

Knowledge of Angels
Knowledge of Angels
by Jill Paton Walsh
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favorite novels., June 2 1998
This review is from: Knowledge of Angels (Paperback)
Religious, agnostic, or atheist, you should read this book. Jill Walsh writes with a literary flair I have not seen before or since, and the characters she creates are people you can identify with. But more than that, she shows us how important faith can be in our lives, as it guides Severo and Beneditx. Of course, their faiths are horribly shaken by Palinor, who i feel symbolizes the Devil. That is not to say atheists are evil, but read the book and you'll understand. I strongly recommend this book to anyone wishing to get their imaginations inspired. It is a modern classic. Some day, it will be read in schools around the country like Uncle Tom's Cabin or Moby Dick. You just have to have faith.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds
by H.G. Wells
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars How did he go wrong?, May 27 1998
Dull, dull, dull. Yes. I am talking about the novel The War of the Worlds about an alien invasion from Mars. And it's boring! So very, very boring. Wells writes like a passionless, uncaring observer, so when the Martians start roasting us, who really cares? I sure don't. Call me gauche, but I would rather read a sf book that was entertaining, than this so called "classic" that bored the daylights out of me.