Profile for Brendan P. Delany > Reviews

Content by Brendan P. Delany

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brendan P. Delany "Fawltyoldboy" (New Jersey,United States)

Best of the Original Dubliners
Best of the Original Dubliners
Price: CDN$ 21.79
31 used & new from CDN$ 5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The motherlode, July 7 2004
Billy Connolly describes his first time ever seeing the Dubliners in concert as a classic case of culture shock! Folk Musicians back then were inclined to wear Aran sweaters so they could be easily identified..not the Dubliners! "Wild bearded goats" with one of their lead singers voice sounding like coal being poured down a delivery chute! The Dubliners did to Folk Music in Ireland what Bob Dylan did in the USA. They were raw, vulgar, unpretentious, talented, funny and, the inspiration for legions of future Irish musicians. The tracks listed on this collection are essentially the best of their original line up. My only slight criticism is that I wish they had kept the track order of the first three albums intact. As musicians, Luke Kelly, Barney MacKenna and Ciarron Bourke were of the highest calibre. This music swerves from incendary to sad and back again. This is what the Pogues sounded like in another life!

Into Your Heart
Into Your Heart
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 15.58
14 used & new from CDN$ 9.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Give me the beat boys to free my soul, April 15 2004
This review is from: Into Your Heart (Audio CD)
First off, let me say that I have always been a big admirer of the Flowers. I would be hard pressed to name a soul band that rivals them on either side of the Atlantic. Its hard to believe that a group this talented is so unrecognised in the USA but, thats the music industry. This album, just like all of their earlier works, has its own identity. There is a greater input from other members of the band rather than just Liam O'Maonlai doing all the writing. This gives the album a more unique feeling, especially where Liam is not the lead vocalist. I particularly loved the use of horns and a choir on the opening track. The album, while heavily flavored with the soul music they love, also carries elements of gospel, folk, pop and, traditional Irish music. You can here the influences of Al Green, Wilson Pickett, Motown throughout. Having seen the band live a number of times, it was fantastic to listen to the live closing track. They are every bit as good live as they sound. In my opinion, there are only a handful of bands/artists who have earned the right to be called musicians and, the Hothouse Flowers are one of those.

O
O
Price: CDN$ 12.49
36 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace at last on a Pink Moon., Jan. 5 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
I found it nigh impossible to not think of the late Nick Drake when I first listened to this marvellous album. Further listenings draw comparisons to the Blue Nile and Lucinda Williams-lofty company for any musician to keep particularly on their first work. This is unquestionably the most complete album of the year, for many a year!

Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews -- A History
Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews -- A History
by James Carroll
Price: CDN$ 17.48
62 used & new from CDN$ 1.97

5.0 out of 5 stars "....the truth shall set you free"., Aug. 11 2003
I read this book as carefully as I have ever read any book. Like many others I have questioned the way and manner and history of how the Catholic Church has deceided to set itself apart as the "One True Faith". Conversations with fellow believers left me feeling that I was experiencing a type of Feudal Serfdom.....dont question the boss! Quite a few of the reviewers of this work by James Carroll,have belittled the book basically because the author has hit his target dead center. His recounting of the various genocidal campaigns planned by the powers in the Vatican throughout history should force all Catholics to stop looking at their leaders through "rose coloured glasses". The many obfuscations and pyramid schemes perpetrated in the name of Jesus, to enrich the coffers and increase the political power of the Roman Church, cannot all be lies. By focussing in on what was clearly a planned and executed program of anti-semitism, carried out over the centuries, Carroll exposes the hypocrisy hidden behind the veil of 'Holiness'. The author has obviously upset some of the entrenched Church Historians by giving his interpretation of the various episodes and incidences that defined Church Policies. He has further upset a number of Catholics who feel it incumbent on themselves to belittle his "struggle with Faith" as a 'sign' of his being unfit to comment on anything of this nature. To me, this book has served as an incentive to look at not just Roman Catholicism, but at all the major faiths of the world in a more cautious fashion. In a time where religious fanatacism has become an acceptable reason to commit murder and mayhem, where it espouses anarchy and bigotry, where its' ultimate goal is to control or exterminate all opponents, James Carroll's book leaves me wondering if we have progressed at all.

Saturday Night Live 1
Saturday Night Live 1
Offered by cdbasement canada
Price: CDN$ 7.74
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this the Best you can do.....?, Aug. 11 2003
This review is from: Saturday Night Live 1 (Audio CD)
I think the phrase that best describes this CD is "waste of time and space"! Like countless others I became a fan of this cutting edge program in its heyday, not just for the satire and comedy but also for the great music it showcased. Around the same time that "SNL" started up, the BBC were also offering a program called the "Old Grey Whistle Test" which also showcased the leading musicians of the time. The Beeb eventually issued a fabulous DVD retrospective of that program (which is non coded and viewable anywhere) loaded with great performances-well worth hunting down. What does SNL do? Zip,nada,zilch, strikeout...pick your own term. I would think that they should easily be able to cull together a marvellous collection of as widespread a variety of musical styles as ever existed. Better yet, they could present this in DVD format so we could enjoy sets like Joe Cocker/John Belushi, Paul Simon & Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Van Morrison, Aaron Neville & Linda Rondstadt, The Clash, Leon Redbone, Santana, Beck, etc etc,. There doesnt appear to be any reason why they cant do this.......instead we are offered this dross. Shame on SNL!

The Shawshank Redemption (Widescreen Edition)
The Shawshank Redemption (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Tim Robbins
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 35.61
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the ages, Aug. 4 2003
I believe that,like good friends, we can count the truly great movies on the fingers of our hands. This picture is in my top 5 of all time. The performances alone, of all the cast, not just Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, are superb. For me,it is the voice over of Mr Freeman that elevates the different moods and tones over the course of the story. Far from turning this into another jail break fiasco, we are left to wonder at the endurance of the human spirit and grieve at its frailty. There is no glorification of the physical violence, no homage to the "tough guy" routine, offered - rather a slow subtle appreciation for the ability to survive and to adapt to a hostile environment. Morgan Freeman's closing soliloquy of "I hope........" is not the atypical Hollywood triumphant ending but, a considered dose of reality. Please G-d, there wont be a sequel!

Laurel & Hardy [Import]
Laurel & Hardy [Import]
DVD ~ Stan Laurel
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 83.03
6 used & new from CDN$ 7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last......................!, July 14 2003
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy [Import] (DVD)
Finally, those of us who love comedy can say there is justice. For too long "The Boys" have been ignored while a host of their impersonators have been given the red carpet treatment in terms of DVD and VHS releases. I hope that this will signal the release of such treasures as "Way out West" and "Two Chumps at Oxford" not to mention all those brilliant shorts. I did purchase some of the Lost Film series on DVD a year ago-they only serve to whet the appetite. I have two young children(13 &11) whom I have successfully converted to fans of the duo through viewings of old tapes. In an era where vulgarity and sledgehammer sexual asides are considered the epitome of high class comedy, the genius of Stan and Ollie will show a new generation that it is possible to make everyone laugh at the same time without offending every 2nd person.

Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time'
Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time'
by Robert Jordan
Price: CDN$ 20.76
102 used & new from CDN$ 3.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Loosing Impetus, April 28 2003
I want to be fair and objective about this series so, I have to begin by saying that the first 4 volumes were excellent. Since then, however, the series has gotten progressively more boring. If Brian Jordans ambition was to see how long he could drag out a story he has succeeded. The earlier tension and plot have been lost and much like Terry Goodkinds' "Wizards 1st Rule", the "Wheel of Time" seems to have lost its way. Every book, and this one is no exception, introduces a stream of new characters whose purpose in the tale seems ornamental at best. Please finish this series in the next book.

Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews: A History
Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews: A History
by James Carroll
39 used & new from CDN$ 5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars the church and the sword, Dec 6 2002
For the past 25 years I have struggled with the teachings of the faith I was brought up in. I have read more than my share of 'investigative books' purporting to shake the foundations of Christianity and left them feeling none the wiser. Through a combination of personal and moral experiences, I had developed a sense that there was (and is) something profoundly misplaced in the reality of being a Christian.
I began reading James Carroll's text with a disinterested attitude, struggling at first to grasp his initial introduction to the central theme of the book via the Cross at Auschwitz. Once I had achieved this, the book's progress through the history of Church sponsored Anti-Semitism through theological and scriptural interpretation,coupled with intolerance, proved mind boggling. The author breathes life into the historical figures and lays bare the bones of their 'achievements'. He presents the consequences of Christian hatred through two millenia with no apologies for the instigators. I was constantly aware of my anger growing the further I read. James Carroll has written a history that should evoke these feelings.
His conclusions are bound to cause controversy. There are no shortages of Catholics who refute his critique of "Papal Silence" during WW2 or his labelling John Paul 2 as an arch conservative. What sets his work apart for me is his plan for Church reform. He wears his emotions on his sleeve when he discusses the failings of the Christian Churches with regard to tolerance of other Faiths, Sex, Women, Democracy, Papal Infallibility. His call for the reinterpretation of basic scriptures and the reasons why, should give any reader pause for thought. Bravo Mr. Carroll.