Profile for Kevin D. Miller Jr. > Reviews

Content by Kevin D. Mille...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kevin D. Miller Jr. "kevmille" (Saigon, Vietnam)

Battlestar Galactica - PlayStation 2
Battlestar Galactica - PlayStation 2
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Addicting Yet Quite Difficult, Nov. 27 2003
I just purchased this game. Be forewarned, there are no training flights or tutorials and the game manual really is not that helpful. Essentially, when you load the game, you are flying your first mission as a novice pilot.
The first mission is difficult and you may get frustrated. Try choosing the different views until you find one that you are comfortable with. Yes, the Battlestar Galatica will be destroyed many times until you get the hang of the game.
The graphics and sounds are awesome. The game is quite enjoyable and even addicting.
My advice for Vivendi Universal is to add tutorials and/or training flights in the future.

Designing With Web Standards
Designing With Web Standards
by Jeffrey Zeldman
Price: CDN$ 24.57
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Web Standards Introduction, Nov. 4 2003
Before I read this book, I had no clue about CSS or web standards. I was almost to the point to think that CSS and web standards were a joke and useless. After reading Jeffrey's book, I became inspired to learn XHTML and CSS. I have successfully converted my personal web site from HTML to XHTML 1.1 which validates. It only took me two months to learn this and I owe Jeffrey a lot of thanks (plus Elizabeth Castro, Joe Clark and Eric Meyers).
This book is money well spent.

Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days (2nd Edition)
Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days (2nd Edition)
by Laura Lemay
Price: CDN$ 32.75
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion for a Perl/CGI course, Feb. 16 2003
I am currently using this book as a companion for my Perl/CGI course. It is an excellant book. When I have problems understanding what the professor talks about in class, I just come home and go over the similar topics in the book. If you are a student planning on taking a Perl/CGI course, you should purchase this book.

Teach Yourself Turkish Complete Course
Teach Yourself Turkish Complete Course
by Asuman Celen-Pollard
16 used & new from CDN$ 15.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Feb. 16 2003
This was a great book. I used it during my three month stay in Istanbul. I learned some basic Turkish quickly. Now, some readers may complain that the books did not come with the tapes, mine did. I never used them since I had real Turks to practice with.

Let The Good Times Roll
Let The Good Times Roll
by Saundra Sturdevant
Price: CDN$ 20.79
14 used & new from CDN$ 9.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Amerasians, Jan. 3 2001
Great book depicting the realities of the US Military presence in East and SE Asia. I used this book as a primary source in my senior thesis about exploitation of women by multinational corporations (MNCs). The US Military filled the role of an MNC very well.