Profile for Frances > Reviews

Content by Frances

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Frances (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Rainbows on the Moon
Rainbows on the Moon
by Barbara Wood
Price: CDN$ 19.86
28 used & new from CDN$ 17.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Barbara Wood (6th book of hers that I own, but have read Green City in the sun and The Dreaming twice), June 10 2015
This review is from: Rainbows on the Moon (Paperback)
Her books are easy to read, engrossing and moves along quickly Her characters are life like, settings are well described. She is an author who, though I want to get to the end of the book to find out what happens to her characters, I am always sorry to finish, always looking for more.

Glass Palace
Glass Palace
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars expected a little more depth in detail, found it skimmied through the history of that area, June 8 2015
This review is from: Glass Palace (Kindle Edition)
Had originally purchased to try to read up on a historical novel of India but found it skipped ahead quite a bit, not enough detail to grab my whole enthusiasm. Maybe I am used to certain authors who are so descriptive that they draw you into the book like Wilbur Smilth with his African novels, and Barbara Wood who gets me wrapped up in the setting and characters of her novels and keeps her books flowing smoothly. Now she is an author who, though I want to get to the end of the book to find out what happens to her characters, I am always sorry that her novels are finished!
This book not so much. It was nice to get tidbits of information about that side of the world but did not feel this author got too in-depth enough with his characters, not enough details on their personalities or environment the way that the other above mentioned authors makes me feel when reading their novels.

To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition (Bilingual)
To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition (Bilingual)
Price: CDN$ 8.75
4 used & new from CDN$ 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Films with Gregory Peck are usually classic, June 8 2015
He is usually a good actor. This movie depicts a bad time in American history and centers about a lawyer trying to come to terms with injustice, using inner quiet strength to try to keep it together and win what seems to be an impossible case. It also centres around his daughter and the trouble she gets into.
Told by the point of view of the girl, it gives a different angle of how life was viewed in those days. Still a timeless story. Had read the book in high school and re read it recently, and still went by quickly. Decided to purchase the movie and liked it as much as I did originally too

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Bilingual)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Ralph Fiennes
Price: CDN$ 5.00
8 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Am happy I only borrowed the movie and made no investment of my own to watch it, June 8 2015
except to pick it up and drop it off. The most interesting part of the movie was that Jeff Goldbloom was in it! He is interesting to watch no matter what character he plays. Have seen Ralph Fiennes in serious roles before and like him best in those, maybe because I could not get into the movie at all. Found the story line choppy and not all that amusing - mind you not as bad as Monty Python, but choppy all the same. Fell asleep during the course of the movie, and can't be bothered to pick up where I left off.

The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game
DVD ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Price: CDN$ 14.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very few movies grab my attention the instant I start watching them, June 5 2015
This review is from: The Imitation Game (DVD)
and this is one of the few. I borrowed this movie and enjoyed it so much that I put it on my wish list for future purchase since it bears watching again..
It had an easy flow to it, never felt long. Everything about the movie was excellent: Acting, Directing, Script, Dialogue, the way it went back and forth and gave bits and pieces of his childhood, it all drew you into the movie and made you feel as if you were there. I would have rated it higher had I had the option and sometimes wish there was the option here to rate from 0 - 10 (rather than 1-5), this would have been a 10 (have reviewed some that I would have liked to give a 0). It was an eye opener and gave me a different perspective of the war that I was never taught or read about and am grateful that this story has come to light. The thought of a few people dictating when to leak information and who is to live is an awakening though it still happens to this day.
It is very sad how people were treated back then, to be used (fully knowing "who he was") then be convicted "for who he was" is an outrage. Myself being born in the early '60's and had teachers who were born at the turn of the century, and they in turn taught by people who were born in the 1800's, I remember the narrow mindedness of people at that time. Though we still have a huge distance to go for equal rights and teaching people about not bullying, we have narrowed the gap a bit since then- thankfully!
I have seen Benedict Cumberbatch in one other movie called Amazing Grace (have watched this movie twice as well) which was inspired by true events and that movie rated a perfect score for me as well. He plays the humble role very well.

Quiet American [Import]
Quiet American [Import]
Price: CDN$ 12.27
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.87

2.0 out of 5 stars Thought I would like it. Am not into action packed movies by ..., May 2 2015
This review is from: Quiet American [Import] (DVD)
It was okay, but a little slow for me. Thought I would like it. Am not into action packed movies by nature, but this went on a little slowly for me, probably because it was a "love" story which I don't like either.

Still Mine (Bilingual)
Still Mine (Bilingual)
DVD ~ James Cromwell
Price: CDN$ 13.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 9.74

1.0 out of 5 stars The storyline is good about dealing with Alzheimer's disease, April 29 2015
This review is from: Still Mine (Bilingual) (DVD)
But swear they got it from Sarah Polly who directed in 2006 a movie about a man at odds with having to institutionalize his wife (or not) with alzheimers. Sara's "Away from her" was a little slow as well, it did not seem to be as slow at this. Am happy that i borrowed it rather than purchase. I watched half way through hoping that it would pick up tempo, but did not Tried watching while exercising, and felt myself continually go slower as the movie went on. Finally stopped it midway and never went back to it

Quartet - Le Quatuor (Bilingual)
Quartet - Le Quatuor (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Maggie Smith
Price: CDN$ 6.88
14 used & new from CDN$ 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and entertaining film, April 29 2015
Though it is not action packed, it did not drag. A great reminder for young people that old people have had and still do have lives and have much to give!

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Death in Winter
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Death in Winter
by Michael Jan Friedman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Bennet and Jan Michael Friedman are my four favorite Star Trek, April 24 2015
Peter David, David Mack, Christopher Bennet and Jan Michael Friedman are my four favorite Star Trek authors

Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Glass Empires