Profile for moonfishlane > Reviews

Content by moonfishlane

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"moonfishlane" (Cockeysville, MD USA)

Hollywood Tough
Hollywood Tough
by Stephen J. Cannell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Essentially entertaining, but flawed, May 20 2004
Overall this Scully novel was a fairly entertaining read. However, it had two elements that kept it from being really good.
The story had so many outrageous plots going on it was hard to keep track of who was doing what, and why we should care. Cannell left two of the plots hanging at the end, with no satisfactory conclusion, as though he got tired of dealing with them and wanted to move on. It left me feeling like I missed a chapter somewhere that explained what happened.
Also, Cannell had an annoying literary "tic" of repetitive phrasing. It got to a point where, if I read the words "the little grifter" one more time, I thought I would scream. Some good copy editing should have eliminated this overuse of wording.
The essential story held my interest and I'll continue to read his other novels, but this wasn't his best.

Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
by William W. Warner
Price: CDN$ 12.27
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A lyrical work of art, Oct. 8 2003
This book is a technical wonder of writing. The lyrical beauty of the prose gives it the flow and cadence of poetry but with the straightforward phrasing of journalism. It should be required reading for college literature majors everywhere. I was first exposed to Beautiful Swimmers when it showed up on my son's 9th grade English summer reading list. What a fortunate assignment for mom.
I am in awe of Mr. Warner's skill in crafting spare yet well-thought phrasing that carefully blends the unique local language with technical terminology. You read this book and forget that it is non-fiction, nature writing. It draws you in like a compelling fictional account. Therein lies the success of the book.
Beautiful Swimmers covers the crabbing industry and the impact of this lovely crustacean on the Bay and its economy - a worthy journalistic endeavor. But for me, the real beauty is in the joy of just reading this charming work.

Four Weddings and a Funeral (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 3.89
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I watch this once a month, Sept. 12 2003
My title says it all. This film is a classic, especially for people who enjoy ensemble casts. No one character is stronger than another, even though Hugh Grant is the "big name." All the others are equally important to the purpose of this movie. The cinematography and art direction are beautiful -- it's a visually gorgeous film. The people are so quirky and wonderful, I found myself wanting to know them and spend time with them. Each time I watch this I'm sorry when it ends. Chick flick? Maybe, but I watch it over and over. A keeper.

Been There, Should've Done That II: More Tips for Making the Most of College
Been There, Should've Done That II: More Tips for Making the Most of College
by Suzette Tyler
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Tips for College Bound Freshmen, Sept. 1 2003
I buy this book every spring as a graduation gift for young friends who are college bound. No heavy reading required, it's full of quick, practical tips and helpful hints from other students who have been there before. I wish I had had something like this when I went off to college years ago. It would have saved the frustration of learning the hard way -- by experience.

Hard Eight: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Hard Eight: A Stephanie Plum Novel
by Janet Evanovich
Edition: Audio Cassette
10 used & new from CDN$ 4.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearing Evanovich is the Best, Sept. 1 2003
I'm a great mystery lover and a tremendous fan of Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. Many books are better when read because you pick up the intellectual nuances that sometimes get lost in recorded books. Not this one. Stephanie and all her comrades in craziness are far better when appreciated in audio performance mode. The lingo, the dialect, the overall hilarity shine through. Having both read and listened to the books in this series, I can say that the audio versions are far and away the best way to enjoy these characters and their antics. I can't wait for the movie!

Kuffs
Kuffs
DVD ~ Christian Slater
Price: CDN$ 11.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky movie with staying power, July 28 2003
This review is from: Kuffs (DVD)
I saw this movie for the first time in its original release. What a funky, funny movie full of off-beat characters! Parts of it are laugh out loud, gut busting funny, while at the same time it builds in an aspect of adventure/suspense. An interesting juxtaposition.
Christian Slater's wacky character comes to San Francisco to live with his older brother and ends up taking over his security business. He has a variety of misadventures while trying to learn how to protect the people on his beat and catch the bad guy at the same time. And what a terrific, crazed bad guy. He wears outrageous shirts, including T-shirts with his own picture on them. And he's just one of the many unusual people you'll meet here. From the minute that frozen turkey goes bouncing down the street at the beginning, you'll be hooked.
Filmed on location, Kuffs is full of San Francisco atmosphere and local color which make it even more appealing for those of us who like the city. I own this movie in VHS and have watched it over and over. Now I'll buy it in DVD.
This film has one of my all time favorite lines: "Where DO you buy your clothes?" An appealing winner!