Profile for K.P. > Reviews

Content by K.P.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

K.P. (Toronto, ON)

Quantum Jump
Quantum Jump
by W.R. Clement
Price: CDN$ 19.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding book, May 2 2009
This review is from: Quantum Jump (Paperback)
This book is outstanding. I do not understand why Ted Whittaker of Books in Canada took such a dislike to it and I encourage everyone to give this book a try.

This book was written in 1998 and many of the things it talks about or foreshadows are actually happening (Fall of GM!)today.

Personally, I liked this book because it made me think - made me think that we are in a time of massive change & we don't know what's happening next & this is unnerving - how do you deal with that?

While the book doesn't give you any real answers, it's really not suppose to because if we are in the era of transition we'll have to adapt to the changes as they come, you can't really prepare for it. Which is the message that comes out of the book - open your mind to the change, accept it and then you will be able to deal with whatever comes. Don't hang on to the old ideas/ways of doing things - they will not help you.

The Happy Soul Industry
The Happy Soul Industry
by Steffan Postaer
Price: CDN$ 16.76
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bok - too bad it's not avilable from Amazon.ca, May 2 2009
The Happy Soul Industry is a book about God, Advertising, hope, the devil and L.A. It tells the story of an Angel who is sent to Earth by God, to find the perfect Advertising Agency that will run a campaign to support "goodness."

One of the agency's that's up for the running CN&W, has a president with a serious anger/ depression problem, the Creative Director has a serious drug problem and their personal assistant has joined a cult (that sounds suspiciously like Scientology) in an effort to find meaning in her life.

I liked this book. It was funny and clearly a social commentary on our society - you will find recognize many of the references in this book. And its description of the advertising industry is very accurate, as it's after all written by a veteran of the industry.

[...]

Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Importance of Communication, April 26 2008
I loved this book when I read it the for the first time 10 years ago. It's a great post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel as it shows you how the world could look after a nuclear holocaust. The world David Brin invents is interesting and believable. I recommend this to anyone who likes post-apocalyptic sci-fi books.

I should also note that the books is MUCH better than the movie! Do not judge this book on the awful Kevin Costner movie!

The Children of Men
The Children of Men
by P.D. James
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is better than the movie, April 26 2008
This review is from: The Children of Men (Paperback)
I liked the movie, but the book is MUCH better and not for the usual reasons . I found the story in the book to be much richer, there were just much more "stuff" in it. The book spent much more time on the description of the Omegan's which is central to the story, and the ending was MUCH better.