Profile for Jam > Reviews

Content by Jam

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jam "bonoman8" (Boca Raton, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2
May [Import]
May [Import]
DVD ~ Angela Bettis
Price: CDN$ 16.44
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.97

1.0 out of 5 stars I Would Have Given This Zero Stars If That Had Been A Choice, March 10 2004
This review is from: May [Import] (DVD)
This is among the Top Three Worst Movies I Have Ever Seen. It's just horrible. It's not scary, it's not freaky, it's not funny, it's just stupid. It's supposed to be a modern day take on the Frankenstein myth with an edge because they made the villain a skrawny freaky girl with a lazy eye. Although she is well acted, she draws no sympathy from the audience as she really doesn't have anything to work with except for an unintentionally hammy and predictable script. Some really good actors really wasted their time when they agreed to be in this movie. The only saving grace this movie has at all is that the beautiful Anna Farris looks sexier than I've ever seen her, vamping it up as a raven-tressed lesbian, but even she can't save this piece of poop from being a complete and total waste of your time.

L.A. Story (Widescreen)
L.A. Story (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Steve Martin
Offered by Mikani Collectables
Price: CDN$ 5.69
14 used & new from CDN$ 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly, Snide, & Smart Makes For Great Comedy, Feb. 1 2004
This review is from: L.A. Story (Widescreen) (DVD)
I loved this movie the first time I saw it way back in the early 90's, and I still love it now in 2004. I came across this movie while aimlessly searching through Amazon and I remembered how much I liked it so I impulse bought it and am completely satisfied with my purchase. It perfectly captures the end of the 80's as they uncomfortably segued into the 90's in a witty and hilarious manner. Steve Martin is a genius, and Sarah Jessica Parker was at the peak of her hotness.

Band Of Brothers (Widescreen)
Band Of Brothers (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Damian Lewis
Price: CDN$ 25.00
20 used & new from CDN$ 17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Shock and Awe, Jan. 18 2004
This is simply the greatest fictionalization of World War II ever put down on film and deserves the highest praise for its grit, depth, and realism. Grueling at times and light as a feather at others, this miniseries will run you through the ringer of emotions and you'll leave feeling a stronger person so involved in the trials and tribulations of Easy Company that you'll feel you're actually an intimate part of this band of brothers - they will enter your consciousness and stick with you. I am by no means a WWII buff, I just like good movies with good stories and this is one of the best I've ever seen.

Wilderness: The Lost Writings of Jim Morrison
Wilderness: The Lost Writings of Jim Morrison
by Jim Morrison
Price: CDN$ 13.68
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Love The Doors, You Need This Book, Jan. 11 2004
Unlike Kurt Cobain's Journals, this book of Morrison's poetry is insightful and truly introspective. This is a fascinating look into the beautiful mind of a poet of depth, sometimes profound, rarely inane, always interesting, this is a wondful look inside at what made Jim. He was passionate, he was gentle, he was nostalgic for a past completely out of reach, and all of this is protrayed so wonderfully through his words. If you've ever felt a connection to The Doors and want to know the man behind the lyrics a little deeper, this is the book for you.

Punch-Drunk Love (Superbit(TM), Special Edition) (Bilingual)
Punch-Drunk Love (Superbit(TM), Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by Kay's Movies
Price: CDN$ 13.29
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Either You Love It Or You Hate It, Jan. 10 2004
I hated this movie. When we were done with it, my friend and I were both like, "What did we just watch?" PT Anderson dropped the ball on this one - he tried to be too arty with the minutes of nothing but colour splotches on the screen and he didn't pull it off. It made for a disjointed movie, with a weak script. The acting was fine, but Sandler and company really didn't have a lot to work with as far as a script was concerned, and the whole thing just comes off as pretentious and mired in its own self-importance. In all, this movie was a total drag to sit through and it's a definite low-point in Anderson's otherwise magnificent canon.

Journals
Journals
by Kurt Cobain
Price: CDN$ 16.62
40 used & new from CDN$ 12.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a let-down, Jan. 9 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
I resisted buying this book when it first came out because I thought it was a total invasion of Kurt's privacy and it just seemed like a smarmy way for Courtney to make a fast buck. When I saw the soft-cover version though I gave into an impulse because it just looked so cool. It is pretty cool, I guess, but it's definitely not incredible and I didn't really learn anything new about Kurt's personality or what made him who he was. It is interesting, but more as a collection piece than as a really good read. And yes, I read the whole thing.

Foo Fighters - One by One: Guitar Recorded Versions
Foo Fighters - One by One: Guitar Recorded Versions
by Foo Fighters
Edition: Sheet music
Price: CDN$ 16.02
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock n' Roll is Alive and Well, Dec 31 2003
This is the sheet music for what is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of the 21st Century. If you don't play guitar or piano, this is not the book for you, but if you do and you like rocking out to the Foos then pick this puppy up! The tab is spot on and it's set up so that you can sing it while still playing if you don't know the words off by heart (i.e., no lyric boxes at the end of the song). My only problem with this book is that there is no bass-tab because I play bass too, but that's okay because its been pretty easy to figure out the bass-lines if you can read music and have a decent ear.
Again, though, if you don't play an instrument, don't bother with this book because it will be completely useless to you.

U2 Live: A Concert Documentary
U2 Live: A Concert Documentary
by Pimm Jal De La Parra
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Boom-Cha Goodness!, Dec 31 2003
This is the ultimate compendium for the true U2 fan. Not only does it document every single show they've ever played but it gives a lot of background and behind the scenes info on the albums. When I found out this updated version of the book was coming out I got excited and now that I've received it I was not disappointed!

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox
18 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Addicted, Sept. 3 2003
I just bought this game about four days ago and I've already played for about 24 hours of game time. I'm new to the whole RPG thing and this game is great because its pretty straight-forward game play and the mysteries and puzzles are both fun and challenging. It reminds me of why I wanted to be a Jedi when I was a kid. Very cool game.

Villa Incognito
Villa Incognito
by Tom Robbins
Price: CDN$ 28.80
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good, but not great..., May 29 2003
This review is from: Villa Incognito (Hardcover)
I did enjoy this book, and it was still better than most of the drivel currently being published, but I guess I have really high expectations from Tom Robbins, and this one left me kind of flat. Parts of it were actually predictable, and while his prose still flows sweeter than fine wine, I don't think he left his grapes quite long enough on the vine. Also, there was a tease of a past character popping in for a second - my favourite of all his characters - but alas it was only a tease and left me kind of disappointed as I always like to see old friends. Either which way, if you like Robbins then this book is definitely worth reading, but it's no Woodpecker or Fierce Invalids.

Page: 1 | 2