Profile for Spudwil > Reviews

Content by Spudwil

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Spudwil (North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada)

The Cellist of Sarajevo
The Cellist of Sarajevo
by Steven Galloway
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and Incredible, Aug. 31 2008
Everyone should read this book. I couldn't put it down; my kids had to forage for their own dinner one night because I just had to keep reading. From the great character development and suspenseful plot to the amazingly hopeful and satisfying ending, this book will take you through the whole spectrum of emotions. I love how it is concise and to the point, making it an easy read for everyone. Not a page is wasted on unnecessary tangents off the storyline and the reader feels as if he is right there in the rubble with the characters, feeling their fear and despair. Such a great lesson in humanity, hope, and the perils and senselessness of war. My hat is off to the author.

The Host: A Novel
The Host: A Novel
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: CDN$ 18.26
147 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, Aug. 31 2008
This review is from: The Host: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book had so much potential but sadly fell short of attaining it. I was so disappointed because there was so much she could have done with the plot but didn't. The characters were poorly developed, and there was so little suspense when there could have been so much. She should have spent some time on what the Seeker was doing to find Wanderer instead of just having her show up one day. More detail and tension during the raids would have helped too. Being an adult book, there could have been so much more steamy romance but even though the characters were in their twenties, I felt as though I was reading a book about teenagers. I agree that it could have been half as long; there was so much useless, tedious dialogue that went nowhere. It's too bad that such an interesting concept was developed so poorly. My 13 year old will probably enjoy it much more than I did, providing she doesn't fall asleep during the first 60 pages or so. I gave it 2 stars for the concept and for what could have been...