Profile for Dom Miliano > Reviews

Content by Dom Miliano

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dom Miliano (Denville, NJ USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The 4th Tenor
The 4th Tenor
DVD ~ Rodney Dangerfield
Offered by BooksfromUSA
Price: CDN$ 0.98
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love it, really, June 15 2004
This review is from: The 4th Tenor (DVD)
This could have been a nice little movie; it almost is. The plot is blissfully uncomplicated, much like a Marx Brother's film, but even at his oldest, Groucho never seemed as old as Rodney does in this DVD. The idea of going to the ends of the earth to win the love of your lady is timeless. But with a thirty-something leading lady and an eighty-something leading man, searching for your Viagara and your teeth would seem like a more realistic quest. I'm especially disappointed that there were no memorable "Rodney lines" like in Caddy Shack - "Oh that's the worst looking hat I ever saw ... looks good on YOU though." A sweethearted, non-wise cracking Rodney didn't work for me. Honestly, I feel bad not loving this movie. I am a Rodney fan - have all of his records (yup, on vinyl), DVDs and CDs too. I have seen him live and use his lines all day long - "I went to the doctor, I said doc, when I wake up and I look in the mirror, I wanna throw up, what's wrong with me? he said, I don't know, but your eyesight's perfect!" But in this film he was mis-cast. Picture Billy Crystal in the lead and you know what I mean. Anyway, if you love Rodney, maybe you shouldn't see this movie. It's just too painful. I had to go watch Caddy Shack a couple of times to get over it.

The Four Complete Historic Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring the Beatles [Import]
The Four Complete Historic Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring the Beatles [Import]
DVD ~ Ed Sullivan
5 used & new from CDN$ 29.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish we could give 6 stars - "a really big shoe", April 19 2004
I taped these performances on my old monural reel-to-reel back in 1964. The recorder and tapes are long gone, but the memories of a time when four "twenty-something" guys in suits could be considered revolutionaries still stands out in my mind as a golden age. Like it was yesterday, I remember John wrestling with his microphone, Ed admonishing the audience about their behavior, I even remember the other acts we had to sit through to get to the Fab Four. What a time capsule! The image quality and sound will blow you away - much better than what we ever received over the air back in the day. You even get a choice of monural or surround sound - sharp. This CD set is a great treat for anyone over a certain age (the break point may be 50 years old/young, I imagine). Kids today may find it difficult to understand how one band could generate this much excitement and energy but if you were around in '64 and you saw them live you know! Buy this with confidence and throw in the DVD of a Hard Day's Night - both are a must have for any Beatles fan. Now if I could only fit into my old Neru jacket, life would be perfect.

Time and Again
Time and Again
by Jack Finney
Price: CDN$ 13.71
180 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily my favorite book of all time - a great read, Dec 16 2003
This review is from: Time and Again (Paperback)
I am shocked by the range of reviews for what I consider one of my favorite books. It is (using a much over used word here) a masterpiece. Strong characters, intricate plot, exquisite detail all grounded in the most exciting place in the world, New York City. What's not to love? I have re-read this book several times. I also have it on tape and play it to get through long car trips - it's an old, reliable, much loved friend. I am fascinated by time travel and I love New York so that probably explains the appeal of this book. I also grew up as a reader (as opposed to a real TV junkie) and I love getting lost in very detailed prose and intricate word pictures - the kind Finney employs here to hook the reader. I can visualize one scene in my mind now - Sy Morley in his rooms in the Dakota, snow falling, the city silent, bathed in white. Is he in the 19th or 20th century? Was the experinent a success or a dismal failure? You have to read on (and will want to read on) to see.

NEW Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas (CD)
NEW Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas (CD)
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 5.42
38 used & new from CDN$ 2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just not Christmas without Charlie Brown, Dec 16 2003
Christmas time is a time for nostalgia, looking back on happy days and the joys of simple pleasures. The frenetic pace of life these days can squeeze the fun out of what should be the happiest time of the year. When I feel that happening to me, I have a cure - play the Charlie Brown Christmas album. In fact, it's playing now in my office (it's OK, I'm eating lunch at my desk). From the opening notes of O Tannenbaum to the final strains of Christmas Song, it's all good. Yes, it's a brief album, but the whole TV special upon which it was based was only half an hour (with commercials)! After listening to these simple, pleasant songs, my mood is better, life seems simplier and my stress level drops several notches. You can't ask much more from one CD than that, can you?
I recommend getting the DVD and the CD - the TV special is exactly that - special. It's what Kid's TV should have been and seldom is - a show with a message without being "preachy." You'll also learn where the expression a "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" came from.

Crossword Connection
Crossword Connection
by Nero Blanc
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly fluff, really silly if you look closely, July 27 2003
This review is from: Crossword Connection (Paperback)
I was stuck in Bar Harbor in the rain. The Inn had no TV and I had already finished the New York Magazine crossword. What to do? I went to the local bookstore and found this one. I finished the book quickly - a sign of boredom or a good read. Because there are 2 authors, I think the series lacks a real individual personality - I sense the duo had to make compromises in the writing style. They should take turns writing each book and let the chips fall where they may. Anyway, the idea that the CEO of a huge corporation would: 1) - accept an interview from an unknown director and meet on short notice and 2) that the CEO of said corporation would kill someone over ground water contamination from one gas station is laughable. Embarassing, actually. I work for a medium sized corporation and couldn't get to see the "big guy" if my life depended on it. But I don't want to be too negative. Afterall, the book helped me get through a bad couple of rainy days in Maine so how bad could it be?

A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard
A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard
by Philip R. Craig
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm almost afraid to say "I liked it!", April 1 2003
The reviews of this simple little book are all over the map. The comments about "too much Zee / Joshua" are fair and I agree with them. This edition had a lot less fishing too, thank you very much. The plot was easy to follow and you probably won't be "guessing" until the end. But this series is designed for summer reading - a time when your mind should be on autopilot. That means, it should be easy. also, it should be fun and it should be atmospheric. I think Mr. Craig knows that and he has hit on a decent formula that he can use (milk?) until he runs completely out of ideas. I'm reading the series now because it's April and it's still snowing here in the NE. I could use a little Vineyard summer right now and the series continues to bring me back to one of the most beautiful places in the USA. I'll keep reading if he keeps writing because I know what I'm getting.

A Case Of Vineyard Poison
A Case Of Vineyard Poison
by Philip R Craig
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Best read with Vineyard sand in your shoes, March 15 2003
OK, the "Vineyard" series does not represent great literature. However, that's not the point about these 'atmospheric' novels is it? You read these kind of books while you're on the Cape or to bring you mentally back to the place. This one has a better plot that the others I have read in the series but the dialogue remains the weak point. Enough with the fishing and the traffic jams too, please. All in all, since we go to the Cape every year, this series is a fun read for me. However, if you want read a good series with excellent dialogue and a strong sense of place, find one of the Dibdin novels. They are set in Italy and they are wonderful.

The Mile High Club
The Mile High Club
by Kinky Friedman
Price: CDN$ 12.52
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars The dialogue is pure Kinky but the story lags behind others, March 10 2003
This review is from: The Mile High Club (Paperback)
I got hooked on the series a few years ago with "A Case of Lone Star." I have read every one since and love them - Kinky, please keep writing. The wise cracks, the plot, and Kinky's Krazy Kast of Kharacters made that one a hoot - I loved every word. This edition still has the highly irreverent dialogue and nutsy group of irregulars but, still, there was something missing. The basic idea of the passports as McGuffen seemed way too unbelievable to catch and hold me. At any point, a more reasonable man would have collected them and dropped them on the desk of your local FBI agent. By being too clever in this one (and Kinky is very clever) he lost me and that's too bad. Still, I'll buy the next and next and next and read every one in the hope that Mr. Friedman hasn't run out of good ideas.

Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission
Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission
by Hampton Sides
Price: CDN$ 13.00
157 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A gritty account of what good, brave men can accomplish, March 7 2003
As I write this, our country stands on the edge of war. In these frightening times, I found this captivating account of the ugly face of war and the heights good men can reach uplifting. The author, Mr. Sides, masterly weaves the past with the present, bringing the reader from the horrors of the Death March up to the rescue mission's first gun shot. While the author does not engage in a lot of flag waving, I felt proud of the accomplishments of my father's generation - people who fought a desperate fight they never asked for but didn't back away from either. If we still have people in America like the POWs and the Rangers who went into harm's way for them, maybe we still have a chance. Read it yourself and be inspired.

The Cat Who Went Up the Creek
The Cat Who Went Up the Creek
by Lilian Jackson Braun
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but certainly not the best in the series, Feb. 22 2003
As a hooked fan of the series, I have read every one of the Cat Who books. Like most serial novels, there is a comfortable sameness to every edition that I find charming. Alas, this one was below par but I enjoyed it nonetheless. As has been mentioned before, this would not be a good starting place to get acquainted with Mr. Q and the cats. Too much prior knowledge is assumed of the reader. As for my criticism of this book, it seemed to have been written to length rather than written to a logical or dramatic conclusion. At the last page I was left thinking, "Is that all there is?" It almost seemed like it was an abridged version (but it wasn't). I don't want to be too critical of this book and scare off future readers because there are some real gems in the series. (The Cat Who Read Shakespeare hooked me first.) Any fan of light mystery will find hours of pleasure working his or her way through them all. I suggest with this or any other series to start at the first book and move forward through them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4