Profile for Judgeman > Reviews

Content by Judgeman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Judgeman (VA USA)

Plain Heathen Mischief
Plain Heathen Mischief
by Martin Clark
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 16 2004
This review is from: Plain Heathen Mischief (Hardcover)
Plain Heathen Mischief is the story of Baptist minister Joel King -- comfortable,certain, respected -- his sudden fall from grace (and what, the reader is allowed to wonder, really did happen between Pastor Joel and beautiful Christy when she was "almost 18?") and his fascinating journeys from a Virginia to jail cell to a

Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--and How to Avoid Them
by Bill Walsh
Price: CDN$ 18.95
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fun, May 1 2004
Bill Walsh, the Washington Post's copy editor for national news, is an unabashed "prescriptivist" -- someone for whom, in writing, there are things that are wrong because they've always been wrong. "Even if you think it's arrogant to condemn a perfectly understandable bit of prose as 'wrong,'" he writes, "you have to answer one big question: Do you want to look stupid?"
With "The Elephants of Style" you'll reduce the chance of sounding stupid, increase the likelihood that your writing will have style -- or, as Walsh puts it, FLAIR! ELAN! PANACHE! -- and have a lot of fun. "The Elephants of Style" is the rare book about writing and style that you may (as I did) read from cover to cover for sheer pleasure -- like the pleasure of learning that "the New York train station is Grand Central Terminal," but "Grand Central Station remains the correct expression for mothers yelling at their kids about running in and out of the kitchen."
I'll admit it: I'm one of those lovers of English who has shelves full of books about writing and the use of our language. I regularly read Walsh's website "The Slot: A Spot for Copy Editors," and I also purchased his first book, "Lapsing Into a Comma," which also was a delight. "Lapsing" was aimed at an audience of more sophisticated word users or, as Walah says, was written for editors and writers. "Elephants of Style," he says, was written for writers and editors. It will benefit everyone, I say, from professional writers and editors to middle-school English students. I recommend it highly.

Gwinna
Gwinna
by Barbara Berger
11 used & new from CDN$ 34.64

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more stars!, Dec 24 2000
This review is from: Gwinna (Hardcover)
Gwinna is, hands down one of the best books I have ever read. Its moving and beautiful text are backed up by brilliant, exhilirating pictures. When recently I needed to find a gift for my 10 year old cousin I remembered this book. By checking with my aunt and uncle I discovered (to my horror) that we had never sent her this book. Needless to say, I jumped on this as the perfect gift. If any of you are picky shoppers (like me) you will know how hard the perfect gift is to find. It is not just for a ten year old that I would recomed this book either, it's still one of my favorites. Gwinna is one book I can say, without a doubt influenced me. It is the most moving "flight of fancy" imaginable. I recomend this book to anyone who has ever wished for wing to fly out over the horizon. I recomend it even more strongly to those of you who have not, because after Gwinna, you will.