Profile for Michelle Malmberg > Reviews

Content by Michelle Malmberg

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michelle Malmberg (Calgary, Alberta)

Why Isn't My Brain Working?
Why Isn't My Brain Working?
by Datis Kharrazian
Price: CDN$ 27.04
18 used & new from CDN$ 27.03

5.0 out of 5 stars SEVEN STARS - The answers I had been waiting for., Feb. 21 2014
This book is phenomenal - from the front matter pages, the introduction, the 481 pages of detail, plus references. Dr Kharrazian clearly understands his patients and their distress. The information in this book gave me answers to issues no other specialist could address after my neurosurgery. The nutritional advice is so helpful; I had implemented much of what he recommends the year prior with tremendous results. I followed the book's additional recommendations for four months and immediately began to see more improvements. Dr Kharrazian has a brilliant mind, a sincere heart, two very open ears, sans ego, and is now my rock star doctor. I am SO grateful this book led me to his clinic and was so glad this book outlines a lot of the initial work one can do to help oneself before that first appointment. I am so grateful for his dedication to this specialty within functional medicine.

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
by Catherine Shanahan
Price: CDN$ 32.15
26 used & new from CDN$ 10.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal compilation of wisdom, June 15 2012
Very engaging, compelling, and easy to read, the information and concepts in 'Deep Nutrition' benefit the layman and the professional; a life-changer. The Shanahans make a humble correlation of their observations on physical development and food to deliver knowledge we've always had but have overlooked and nearly forgotten. The wisdom is presented once again for all readers to embrace and easily employ.

This book is the 'modern times' companion to Dr Weston A Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" which was first published in the 1930s. Both books are tremendous proof that dental work and orthodontics are not a symbol of wealth but as a sign of malnutrition, and that merely straightening teeth does not ensure a healthy future. The entire body needs building blocks found in traditional food - food we must introduce our families and children to so the next generation is stronger and more vibrant.

Nutrition and Evolution: Food in Evolution and the Future
Nutrition and Evolution: Food in Evolution and the Future
by Michael Crawford
17 used & new from CDN$ 19.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Evolution unnoticed, Oct. 11 2010
It is interesting to me that a book with such a powerful title overlooks the fact our ancestors ate butter and got us here, more or less, just fine. The typical North American population is now an international embarrassment, ruined in less than one hundred years by artificial foods including margarine and the hallowed polyunsaturated oils. Is it any wonder why the modern endocrine systems are so unbalanced, the minds of our children fraught with despair, infertility treatments a booming business? Could it be that we are not evolving very well at all on our new man-made menu plan? And, that Dr Pottenger may very well be right - fertility of nutritionally inferior members of the species will cease...? The End.

Empty Harvest
Empty Harvest
by Bernard Jensen
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wake-up call, May 9 2010
This review is from: Empty Harvest (Paperback)
Though I do not subscribe to Jensen's low-fat recommendations in other publications (we evolved on saturated fat - I hardly think it suddenly became toxic, though the production of it has...) his commentary on the loss of nutrient density is thoughtful and profound - and certainly changes the chemistry of saturated fat - especially evident in the number of chronic illnesses and rise of infertility in North America. This ties in nicely with the work of Dr Weston A Price, Dr Henry Bieler, Gary Taubes, many others, and all the sustainable agriculture advocates we have in our midst. This awareness is critical if our species is to survive.

Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook
Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook
by Katie Singer
Price: CDN$ 10.80
24 used & new from CDN$ 4.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lost knowledge, May 9 2010
This book is very simply written - accessible to all ages, all comprehension levels. It is SUCH important information every young woman needs to have a copy for her lifetime. The loss of quilting bees and closer females relationships have sadly left us with legacy of misunderstood womanhood. Appreciating what a marvel of creation the female body is, and is capable of, is celebrated here. Hormones are powerful on so many levels. Especially interesting is the writing on estrogen dominance which will, no doubt, affect so many millions of women today - and more tomorrow - that we need to understand the basics of the endocrine system and how it affects every cell in the body in micro-doses, no less. The Pill, the patch, the drugs are no answer to our "ills" but understanding true cycles, real rhythmic living is - on so many levels.

Discipline Without Distress: 135 tools for raising caring responsible children without time-out, spanking, punishment or bribery
by Judy Arnall
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: CDN$ 15.64
45 used & new from CDN$ 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saver!, Jan. 25 2010
A little lost in the world of parenting, I bought this book after reading advice Judy Arnall gave on the Mothering Dot Commune "Ask the Experts" webpage. The writer sounded sincere and grounded and I was moved to spend the money on yet another parenting book. Akin to that dog-eared Best Ever Dinner Cookbook one always gravitates toward, all our other parenting resources are shelved... somewhere.

I call this book my bathroom bible, because it sits close to hand, near where I sit... whenever I need a sanity break to resolve the issue I've just run from. It's useful for leaving open to a page for my husband to read regarding a particularly draining parenting issue; even friends have picked it up when in the loo!

The book is packed with information, easily navigated, well-referenced, has a great bibliography, and the margins can't get much narrower, so I definitely got my money's worth. Of particular interest and help to me is the 50-page quick reference tool guide... a life-saver during a quick bathroom escape. The book is an easy, informative, thought-provoking read whenever I simply thumb through it to learn about something new.

What IS refreshing is the short yet informative presentation of childrearing experiences (she's been through each stage FIVE times) and the humble, personal recount of what-not-to-do. I appreciate, and prefer, the humanness in authors who have learned their lessons from real life experiences.

I certainly have a lot more strength when I recall the author's words about parenting with dignity - no more blow ups here anymore - who's the adult, anyway? Parenting certainly is far more peaceful with Judy Arnall's guidance and, combined with no-processed-foods nutrition, we have a toddler we confidently take anywhere - dinner parties, multiple errands around our city, and long-haul flights overseas.

The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
by George Mateljan
Price: CDN$ 34.08
8 used & new from CDN$ 34.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, save for the low-fat entries, March 5 2008
Sensational compilation - fabulous nutritional analysis, recommendations, recipes. Almost unbelievable. His website is also of the same quality - he has put together an amazing team with exceptional credentials. After searching many sites and books, I can (and will) raise my infant son on these nutritional principles - they are solid and so very detailed. The biggest drawback is with his team's low-fat recommendations which are in need of updating; as is not noting for readers that pasteurized milk is a very processed food and not a healthful choice. Fermented milk would be an improvement - whole milk yogurt, kefir. Otherwise, skipping over the USDA nonsense sell-out, a great addition to the personal library. Did you know to let your cabbage, onions and garlic stand after cutting?? If not, I think you'd consider getting this book!