Profile for Terry Cates > Reviews

Content by Terry Cates

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Terry Cates (Rochester, NY)

High on the Hog
High on the Hog
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 35.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 29.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you're looking for: NOT like Jericho, June 7 2004
This review is from: High on the Hog (Audio CD)
If you're looking for the good-timey, not-too-heavy-on-the-lyrics, straight-ahead music Band, you'll enjoy this. But Jericho it's not: if you're looking for more thoughtful lyrics, more complex arrangements, that's the album to get from this period. Overall, this feels most like Rick's album. Fun but not life-changing.

Northern Accents
Northern Accents
by Matthew Drummy
7 used & new from CDN$ 27.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Refreshing, June 7 2004
This review is from: Northern Accents (Paperback)
It's very refreshing to read this collection of stories about the Northeast (and a couple in Michigan, North Dakota) because these stories capture this area in a very fresh way. I compare this writer favorably to Richard Russo: Drummy is quirkier and not as neat as Russo, but in the end the stories make me laugh and cry about an area of the country I have a love/hate relationship with. They hit me harder than Russo.
"Dolphin" captures Buffalo/The Falls in a way that very few stories have. "Peretuck" has so many cliched elements, with football, love story, other stuff that would give the story away--but again it's fresh somehow. It's the voice, a funny, honest voice. "Apprentice" is the most extreme story, very funny, very sad, very bizarre, but I never stop believing in it. I've never read a story quite like it.
This is a good buy at 12 bucks, and the freshest read I've had in years. I guess I've said "fresh" about 10 times, and I guess that says it all.

Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
by Ted Andrews
Price: CDN$ 15.64
49 used & new from CDN$ 5.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Reference Book for Those Who Believe in This Stuff, May 27 2004
And I do, so this is a Superb Reference Book! Andrews thows everything at the wall about every insect, animal, etc.--from Native American symbolism to Greek symbolism to pagan beliefs and on and on. Sometimes it seems a little too comprehensive and not discriminating enough--as if EVERYTHING is a symbol for water and therefore maybe time to take a look at your feminine energies, therefore create, therefore. . . . But we're grown-ups, we can do our own distinguishing.
He also covers everything from numerology to symbolic qualities of trees and flowers and everything distantly related to the topic. It's truly comprehensive and eminently readable. If you have any belief in this stuff, buy the book!