Profile for Daniel F. Moore > Reviews

Content by Daniel F. Moore

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Daniel F. Moore (Yarmouth, Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Soups And Stews For Fall And Winter Days
Soups And Stews For Fall And Winter Days
by Liza Fosburgh
Price: CDN$ 10.80
25 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of low fat recipes that don't sacrifice the flavor!, Nov. 4 2001
I have recently begun a Weight Watchers program and I have been looking for recipes for soups that I could eat for lunch. I saw the description of this book and decided to give it a try. The first two recipes that I cooked, Mulligatawny and Hawaiian Hot Pot have been winners...and not that many points either. This is not 'diet food'! You can serve it to the family and the young ones will like it too. There are suggestions for modifying some of the recipes for children and that is well advised. My goal in the Weight Watchers program is to cook two new recipes per week in an attempt to build a repertoire of foods that are both tasty and healthy. I plan to use this book often and I think that you will enjoy it as much as I have.

The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual
The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual
by Smoky Hale
15 used & new from CDN$ 41.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a Grilling or Barbeque Question? THIS book's for you!!, Aug. 7 2001
I have subscribed to the Barbecue'n On the Internet newsletter ... for about 3 years and that is where I first 'met' Smoky Hale, who has a column there. His 'aw shucks' self-deprecating style is both humorous and very informative. His many inside tips and experience with the art of 'Q' made me an instant fan. When his book was released in 2000, I eagerly purchased it and to no surprise, I use it regularly. The book is really a conversation with the reader. Smoky shares his years of experience, some good, some bad and you get the feeling that making some really bad food is part of the learning process. And he does discuss every aspect of the grilling and barbeque process. Barbequing, broiling, roasting and smoking procedures are thoroughly covered in detail. He also talks about seasonings, rubs and marinades....what to use and why. I really appreciated Smoky's discussions about choosing the right grill, cooking with a variety of heat sources: wood, charcoal, gas and electricity, meat selection, storage and safety and the chapter on building your own grill. These chapters were not only informative, but were replete with many humorous anecdotes and quotations. Whether you are a novice to barbeque and grilling or a self-styled pitmaster, you will enjoy this book. I have over fifty books on the subject and this is without question one of my top choices. It will demystify a sometimes confusing cooking genre and will give you answers to most, if not all of your questions.

Get Smokin': 190 Award-winning Smoker Oven Recipes
Get Smokin': 190 Award-winning Smoker Oven Recipes
by Cookshack
Price: CDN$ 13.36
38 used & new from CDN$ 5.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at best....., Aug. 6 2001
I purchased a Cookshack smoker over 5 years ago and have experimented with it off and on. While I realize that barbeque is more art than science, I have been frustrated by the lack of information on just how much wood to use with particular recipes. I pre-ordered this book in anticipation of learning some secrets and tricks in the use of the Cookshack smoker. I waited for more than a month for delivery of the book and upon receipt of it, I eagerly delved into it looking for answers to my many questions. To my great disappointment, this book offered absolutely no information that I hadn't learned from trial and error. How much wood should I use? The book suggests that I consult the Cookshack Operator's Manual. There are some general guidelines but the guidelines don't tell you what amount of wood works best with what amount of food. Although I have had some delicious food from the Cookshack, if I am cooking for guests, I use my Brinkmann smoker as I am more confident that the food will be cooked to perfection. The water smoker takes longer, but is more forgiving than the sealed, dry smoking Cookshack. People who like to smoke fish will find 48 pages of recipes. If you prefer beef or pork, the list is much smaller, 16 and 15 pages respectively. There are also small sections dedicated to sausages, lamb and game. In short, this is a book that should have been a digest for Cookshack owners and prospective buyers. At best, it is a generic guide for smoking recipes. It doesn't promote the product line and it isn't a worthwhile choice for anyone new to smoking foods.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse
by John Stage
Price: CDN$ 18.80
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.57

5.0 out of 5 stars American cuisine with a barbeque twist.....YUMMM!, Aug. 2 2001
I must admit that I avoided purchasing this book as I have been disappointed in the past with cookbooks that are written for a particular restaurant. Too often, the recipes in such books are only close approximations of the real items. Alas, this book forgoes that tendency and gives the actual menu directions. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que cooks traditional 'American cuisine'. The recipes for 'Not Your Mama's Meatloaf' and 'Macaroni and Cheese Shepherd's Pie' were big hits. Each section (Beef, Poultry, Seafood, Pork etc.) contains some suggestions for the barbeque novice. But what separates the 'Dinosaur' from other cookbooks are the recipes for sauces, rubs and marinades. I have grown habanero chiles in my garden this summer and used them to make the hot version of the Mutha Sauce. Problem is, I can't get enough of this stuff. The combination of tastes will just dance on your tongue and you too will use it in more and more recipes. The Creole Rub is also an easy to create but versatile spice combination. On a lighter note, the compilation of the best of Dinosaur graffiti is hilarious. It is obvious that this establishment takes its food seriously without taking itself all that seriously. Buy the book....make the sauces....assemble the rubs and try the recipes. As the authors suggest, this will be only a guidebook for you. Feel free to experiment with your own spices and flavors. If it isn't already, barbeque will become an indispensable part of your culinary experience!

Grilling And Barbecue
Grilling And Barbecue
by Editors of Cooks Illustrated
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece from Cook's Illustrated, Feb. 12 2001
This review is from: Grilling And Barbecue (Hardcover)
Grilling and barbecuing have become a distinctly American passion as more and more grills and smokers appear in our backyards. Too often however, that juicy ribeye or succulent tenderloin roast becomes something more fit to use as footgear than to appear on the dinner table. Once again, the authors at Cook's Illustrated have scored a huge success with their latest book on the subject of grilling and barbecuing. You will learn what to look for in equipment, the basic principles of both grilling and barbecuing and a thorough examination of preparing burgers, steaks, poultry, kebabs, fish and shellfish, veggies, pork and of course, ribs. Rubs, sauces and salsa recipes are also provided. But the main reason to purchase this book is for the techniques and recipes. Each and every technique and recipe is the culmination of exhaustive testing by the authors. You will be hailed as a grilling guru or pitmaster every time your family or guests experience the pleasure of tasting your fare. You will use this book often and one word of caution: Don't let anyone borrow it or it will be the last time you see it!

Pressure Cooking for Everyone
Pressure Cooking for Everyone
by Rick Rodgers
Price: CDN$ 15.64
32 used & new from CDN$ 4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare your favorite meals in a fraction of the time!, Feb. 11 2001
I have purchased several cookbooks for pressure cooking and have found only a few recipes that interested me. Rick Rodgers has rekindled my interest in the pressure cooker. This book gives clear instructions and recipes for many popular recipes. What I have been looking for and until now failed to find, is a cookbook that gives directions for making traditional 'American cuisine'. You will enjoy recipes for pot roast, barbequed chicken, beef stew with carrots and potatoes, beans, spaghetti and meatballs and a host of other favorites. And no pressure cooker book is complete without a sinfully delicious cheesecake recipe. Mr. Rodgers gives us Orange and Chocolate Marbled Cheesecake and you won't be disappointed. If you are looking to trim your cooking time and still be able to serve some of your favorite traditional meals, then this book will be a delightful addition to your kitchen library.

The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
by Bruce Weinstein
Price: CDN$ 15.16
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Crowd Pleaser, April 30 2000
It is a tradition at our school to begin each year with a pot luck luncheon. I have an electric ice cream maker with a spare bowl. I was able to borrow an additional bowl and made 3 recipes from the book: Butter Pecan, Oreo Cheesecake, and Chocolate Malted Milk Ball. Suffice it to say, my colleagues wanted to know where I got the recipe(s) and upon learning, several purchased this book. The format is simple and for each recipe, some suggested variations are provided. There are some recipes (Earl Grey Ice Cream) that I wouldn't touch, but Bruce Weinstein has written what I consider to be the definitive guide thus far to creating exquisite ice cream desserts. You will come back to this reference time after time and you won't be disappointed!

Pasta Machine Cookbook
Pasta Machine Cookbook
by Bristol Publishing
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Making fresh pasta has never been easier!, April 21 2000
This review is from: Pasta Machine Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book a few years ago after purchasing an electric pasta maker. The instructions are very clear and concise. But the best thing is that the book gives the reader a huge number of pasta recipes including the use of various flours, herbs, vegetables, fruits, spices and cheeses. After using the book for awhile, I decided to experiment with some of my favorites...garlic, basil and parmesan. You will delight every person who sits at your table and you will be proclaimed an absolute gourmet chef. Pasta is very healthy and now it can be equally delicious. Imagine chocolate pasta topped with brandied strawberries! Even the kids can make pasta with these recipes. I have had many hours of culinary pleasure thanks to Donna German and you will too!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5