Profile for Peter John Hill > Reviews

Content by Peter John Hill

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Peter John Hill "Peter" (Seattle, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Space Shuttle
Space Shuttle
by Dorling Kindersley
15 used & new from CDN$ 9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent history of the Shuttle, June 23 2003
This review is from: Space Shuttle (Hardcover)
I purchased this the day that the Columbia was lost. I needed to have some help dealing with the loss. I have been interested in the Space program since the 70's. I was born the day before Apollo 11 took of for the moon.
The stories in this book are excellent, the photographs, amazing. If you want or need a memento of the Shuttle, this is the book to buy.

The Animatrix
The Animatrix
DVD ~ Dane A. Davis
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 15.38
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for anyone who wants to learn more about the Matri, June 23 2003
This review is from: The Animatrix (DVD)
These 9 shorts are excellent background material for the Matrix movies. Some of them are very important, if one wants to fully understand reloaded, as they tell the stories that were only briefly mentioned, and also let you know who that annoying kid was that greeted them when they first got to zion.
The animation is first-rate, done by some of the top anime houses around. If you think animation is for children, then you definitely need to see this to show you what the medium can do for a story.
An excellent set of stories, pay attention to the ratings, there is as much violence in these as there are in the movies.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly easy to use, lots of functions, June 23 2003
My wife is about to have a baby, and I bought this to keep track of contractions that will hopefullly begin soon. I like this stopwatch, it is light, fairly easy to use. The instructions need some help. There are times when you need to hold one button and then press another. The directions do not convey that very well.
In the end, I am glad I bought it, it works very well.

The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Franka Potente
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 6.36
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but little in common with the book, June 23 2003
Okay, I saw the movie before reading the book. Loved the movie so much that I ran out to get the book only to find that the plot-lines went down separate paths right after the second page. Sure, there are similarities, and the fact is, both the movie and the book are excellent. As long as you don't try to make one follow the other.
I am glad that I bought the DVD, this is an excellent movie. It is fun to watch it over again. The sound on this movie is one of the best edits ever.

Die Another Day (Widescreen Special Edition) [2 Discs] [Import]
Die Another Day (Widescreen Special Edition) [2 Discs] [Import]
DVD ~ Pierce Brosnan
Offered by DealsAreUs
Price: CDN$ 25.69
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pierce and Halley, the best Bond match ever, June 18 2003
Incredible movie. I have only listened to the first hour of Pierce's commentary. Semi-humorous. As a bond movie, though, this may be the best of Brosnan's films. Lots of great settings, interesting story (an actual story). Great action sequences.
The packaging is excellent. It is a double-dvd set full of extras. Two sets of commentary tracks. It is a worthy addition to any collection.

The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
by William Sears
122 used & new from CDN$ 1.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of pages, not much information, April 20 2003
There are about five or six things that Dr. Sears and wife want you to know and believe. They spend about a hundred pages on each topic. Let's see how many I can remember... Breastfeeding, Letting child sleep in your bed, wearing your baby in a sling, taking care of a "high need" child.
This is not one of those books that say, you could do this, or you could do that. In this book, there is the Dr. Sears way, and everyone else is wrong. If people don't believe in Dr. Sears method, he tells you many times throughout the book that you should not listen to those people and perhaps not spend any time with them.
I would not buy this book again. I have read it, to be fair to the Dr. and his ideas. In the end, I feel like he is trying to start a cult. Many people like this book and I say, "good for them" I would look for it in a Library, because I don't think it is worth owning, as there is enough stuff to buy when getting ready to have a child and this book is not worth my money.

Simply Red: Live in London
Simply Red: Live in London
DVD ~ Simply Red
Price: CDN$ 27.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 9.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, enough to buy, Feb. 9 2003
This review is from: Simply Red: Live in London (DVD)
I have become obsessed with buying DVDs of my favorite musicians. This one is pretty good, for a live performance. Not as good as "All this Time" by Sting. Nowhere near is groundbreaking and feature packed as Moby Play, the DVD, or the Criterion Beastie Boys. This DVD does include an impressive number of songs, and the quality is pretty darn good for me. The sound is more TV production quality, not DVD/film quality. They could really push up the vocals a bit. They could take a cue from Sarah McLachlan's concert DVD and allow the watcher to have the option of picking which camera angle they want to view. Clearly they must have about 5 or 6 cameras filming this. It really is jumpy. I just now timed about a minute of one song, and they never had a shot up for more than 4 seconds.
It is pretty good though, if you are a Simply Red fan, you simply must get this DVD.

Other Peoples Songs
Other Peoples Songs
Price: CDN$ 19.63
11 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars It will have you singing in your car, Feb. 9 2003
This review is from: Other Peoples Songs (Audio CD)
Wow, how fun is this? Lots! A fun pick of songs, I have been listening to it in my car constantly and can't stop singing along. Thank goodness I'm alone ;-) I didn't even know I could like some of the songs as much as I do. We may have to come up with a new verb: Erasurized

Footsteps Of Our Fathers
Footsteps Of Our Fathers
Price: CDN$ 16.70
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Branford is a genius, and this recording show it, Jan. 15 2003
This is an excellent recording. I would like to see a live version on a DVD, similar to Sting's "All This Time." I listened to Footsteps on the bus home from work and when I closed my eyes, I imagined myself in a Paris Jazz club. Having seen Branford perform with his Buckshot LeFonque group, I am completely hooked to his musical genius.
[edit]
This is now the most played album on my iPod. "A Love Supreme" is truly incredible. I have not heard the original, but I am back to Amazon to add it to my cart. The liner notes are very interesting, giving background info on the selections and original artists. Fantastic purchase. [/edit]

Bored Of The Rings 51st Anniversary Edition
Bored Of The Rings 51st Anniversary Edition
by Harvard Lampoon
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, July 15 2002
You can't go wrong, unless you don't have a sense of humor.
Quick story, I read LOTR as a child, and when I was in seventh grade, one of my friends gave me a copy of Bored of the Rings. I thought it was hilarious. I brought it to church and told the mother of a friend how funny it was. How the changed Frodo to Frito and Gandalf to GoodGulf and Bilbo to Dildo...
I didn't understand the humor with the last name change. Now I know why she looked so mortified. :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3