Profile for Suzanne Amara > Reviews

Content by Suzanne Amara

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Suzanne Amara (MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Melendy Family Four Story Mistake
Melendy Family Four Story Mistake
by Elizabeth Enright
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The rare special kind of book that stays with you always, Jan. 13 2000
There is something about this book that is very, very special. There are some many moments in the Melendy series (of which I think this book is the best) that really stay with you always. A few---Christmas eve, and Randy talking about how Christmas eve sometimes feels more special than Christmas---as you are waiting for everything---I think about that every Christmas eve. Oliver seeing the Luna moth. Mona coming home from her first dance. The way Cuffy is described---I can picture her as if I knew her. It's hard to use my own words to do any justice to Enright's words. Just will say---I hope you will try this book and let it become as special a part of your life as it is of mine.

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio
Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio
by Kehret
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and well written look into the world of polio, Jan. 11 2000
Although I've of course held of polio, and gotten polio vaccines for my boys, I knew very little about it before reading this book. After reading it, I am eager to find out more about the world of polio. This book brings to mind other hospital stories such as the wonderful but now out of print The Plague and I. It's interesting how the author adjusted to life in the treatment center and has trouble re-adjusting to "real life". I loved hearing about what happened to her friends with polio in their later life, and felt truly sad to read the author has post-polio syndrome. I would recommend this book for both older children and adults.

Tornado Alley: Monster Storms of the Great Plains
Tornado Alley: Monster Storms of the Great Plains
by Howard B. Bluestein
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice writing style, great images, Jan. 7 2000
This book was really well done. The images of thunderstorms, clouds, tornadoes and various rare weather events are just wonderful. The writer's style is casual and friendly. I really liked the way he would toss in interesting tidbits amoung the technical scientific writing---he'd be writing in depth about how tornadoes form, and would mention as an aside a restaurant all the tornado chasers liked! Anyone who has a fascination for tornadoes will really enjoy this book.

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown
Edition: Library Binding
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you have a child to read this to, you will understand!, Dec 23 1999
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Library Binding)
Until I started reading to my older son, I didn't really understand what was this book's unique hold on people was. However, from my first reading to him, I did! There must be something magical about this book and the way children love it. It's very comforting to them, with the easy to memorize lines and the gentle arrival in the great green room of nighttime. However, it's also full of little details for them to notice and delight in--the hidden mouse, the dollhouse with lights on, the pictures on the wall. It's the perfect book to start kids "reading" themselves---leave out the crucial word in a line and wait for them to say it---"a bowlful of...." "MUSH!", they scream with delight! And they all love the "Goodnight Nobody" page best---I think it really gets kids thinking in a philosophical way---How can you say Goodnight to Nobody? This book is a true, true gem and belongs in every library.

Blueberries for Sal
Blueberries for Sal
by Robert McCloskey
Price: CDN$ 16.24
52 used & new from CDN$ 5.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This day captures perfectly a long ago day in Maine, Dec 23 1999
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Hardcover)
Having grown up in the part of Maine this book is set in, and having had many days as a child Sal's age picking blueberries and eating them, I can tell you that this book captures perfectly the feeling of such a day. I can put myself into the picture and be carried back to the low scrub-filled woods behind my grandmother's house, the sun warm on my clothes, and bushes around me so filled with blueberries you could fill a pail without moving. I can hear the clink of berries in a nearly empty pail, as Sal did. I never ran into a bear, but I can almost feel like I did, from reading this book. I'm glad to say my young city dwelling son loves this book also, and it's nice to be able to share part of my past with him through it.

The Little House: Her Story
The Little House: Her Story
by Virginia Lee Burton
Price: CDN$ 10.79
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.13

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that stays with you through the years, Dec 23 1999
I loved this book as a child---loved seeing the city gradually swallow up the house, and then seeing it get its freedom once again. I think I learned important concepts from the book too---that the same place can somehow become a very different place over time, and that we can recreate what is lost if we try hard enough. My son loves this book too, but for very different reasons---he loves it that the city scenes have trains in them! I'm just glad he will listen to all of it with me--always so nice with a book so fondly remembered.

The Little Engine That Could: The Complete, Original Edition
The Little Engine That Could: The Complete, Original Edition
by Watty Piper
Price: CDN$ 9.49
136 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A real crowd pleaser for the train loving set, Dec 22 1999
If I were rating this book based on how much I like it, it would be about a 2 star book! If my son were rating it, it would be 5 plus stars! I always found this story a bit dull and predictable. I was given this book for my son, and read it to him half thinking he would feel the same. Well, from the time he was less than a year old, he loved it very, very much. We read it over and over and over....I think the message does inspire kids, and of course, it's about trains, which alone is enough to make him happy. So I have mellowed on this title, and think it richly deserves a 4 star vote!

Five Novels
Five Novels
by Danie Pinkwater
Price: CDN$ 11.70
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinkwater's genius is in the details, Dec 22 1999
This review is from: Five Novels (Paperback)
What makes reading Pinkwater's books such a rare treat is the details---you really never know what you'll read next---what bizarre movie will be showing at the neighborhood theater, what odd TV show will be on late at night, what weird teacher you will meet at the new school---it's so unusual to find truly imaginative and surprising reading like this. And unlike so many books that give lip service to diversity, it really exists in these books----it's not wrong here to be overweight, to live in the city and like it, to find school truly useless. Every book included here is great.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn Classic Ed
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn Classic Ed
by Betty Smith
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can still remember my first reading of this book, Dec 22 1999
Many years ago, I was staying with my aunt and hunting for something to read. She handed me this book and told me how much she had liked it. I started it and time stood still----I was transported to Brooklyn and the world of the characters---and I was very sad when the book ended and I had to leave that world! I wish this book had a sequel. I've read it many times since, with the same effect every time. If you've never had a first reading of this wonderful book, I envy you! You are in for such a treat.

Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down
Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down
by Anne Fadiman
165 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars non-fiction writing at its best, Dec 21 1999
What I liked best about this book was how it didn't demonize anyone---I think this would be very hard to do when writing about a subject you really care about, as I could tell the author did here. But I came to understand everyone's point of view, and how that made the tragedy which came about even sadder---there is really no-one to blame. It was unusual and a pleasant surprise to have the foster mother be one of the kindest people involved with the sad undoings of events. I felt I learned a very lot about the Hmong culture while reading a real page turner I couldn't put down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11