ARRAY(0xbb095f0c)

Profile for Jennifer A. Jilks > Reviews

Content by Jennifer A. Jilks

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jennifer A. Jilks "author: Living & Dying With Dignity" (Perth, Ontario CANADA)

Page: 1 | 2
When Your Grandparent Dies
When Your Grandparent Dies
by Victoria Ryan
Price: CDN$ 8.95
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping Kids with Grief, Jan. 23 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
In my teaching career I looked for many ways to help my students with the grieving process. Picture books worked as well with the older kids than the younger. This book would be excellent, for kids whose parents believe in heaven. Not good for a family of any other group. It refers to it being OK to cry, mixed emotions, but what bothered me was the fact that they typecast grandma as baking cookies and grandpa going fishing in heaven. Truly, this works for rural, stereotypical families, but not ours.When Your Grandparent Dies

Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
by Amy Sedaris
Price: CDN$ 25.59
77 used & new from CDN$ 6.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Another waste of money, Jan. 21 2011
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This book was a terrible waste of money. As a Hospice Volunteer, I was hoping for ideas to use with my clients. I was really upset with this. Disgusting, vulgar, and a total farce on crafting, with ridiculous pictures and useless crafts.

I'm A Big Sister
I'm A Big Sister
by Joanna Cole
Price: CDN$ 8.08
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars big sisters, May 16 2010
Ce commentaire est de: I'm A Big Sister (Hardcover)
This is a lovely little book. My granddaughter just had a baby sister a week ago. She loves the book, a gift from three young ladies who are sisters. I agree that breastfeeding could/should have been mentioned,rather than putting in bottle feeding, but the benefits of the book outweigh this minor issue.

Shaped by the West Wind: Nature and History in Georgian Bay
Shaped by the West Wind: Nature and History in Georgian Bay
by Claire Elizabeth Campbell
Price: CDN$ 33.20
9 used & new from CDN$ 26.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical read, May 3 2010
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I really have enjoyed this book, reading beside the lake. There is a lot of information about our region.

Writers Have No Age: Creative Writing for Older Adults, Second Edition
Writers Have No Age: Creative Writing for Older Adults, Second Edition
by Karen Updike
Price: CDN$ 47.15
10 used & new from CDN$ 47.13

3.0 out of 5 stars pricey for content, Feb. 9 2010
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I was quite surprised at the size of this book. For the $20 I paid, it includes a series of essays about facilitating writing, but I do not think it is worth the cost.

I didn't read the 'fine print' and notice that there are only 134 pages.
There are a few ideas I will use in my Creative WRiting class at our local penitentiary, but I don't think it is value for the money. As a retired teacher, counting my volunteer expenses, I would not recommend it. There is not a lot that is new. Only a few bits of practical information.

Writing to Heal: A Guided Journal for Recovering from Trauma & Emotional Upheaval
by James W. Pennebaker
13 used & new from CDN$ 247.12

4.0 out of 5 stars discipline required, Jan. 2 2009
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I truly believe in writing as part of the healing process. This type of book would be a good one for a group working together. For those dealing with grief, bereavement, and mourning, whether it be death or other life trauma, it is difficult to find the discipline to write on a regular basis. For myself, I found it hard to do anything. Decisions were hard to make, and plans were difficult to come by.

Kay Porterfield's review is excellent, but if you do not have self-discipline, and a support group, I would suggest this book might not be a good investment. There are many lined pages for writing, but I find this limits me. I prefer my computer keyboard or a pad of paper.

Mom's Cancer
Mom's Cancer
by Brian Fies
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars laughter - the best medicine, Jan. 1 2009
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Mom's Cancer (Hardcover)
- need I say more? There comes a point when laughter is difficult, but in the meantime let it go!

Inspector Lewis: The Pilot & Series 1 (Masterpiece Mystery!)
Inspector Lewis: The Pilot & Series 1 (Masterpiece Mystery!)
DVD ~ DVD
Price: CDN$ 28.33
20 used & new from CDN$ 27.82

4.0 out of 5 stars another great Brit production, Jan. 1 2009
I quite liked it. None of the American style blood and guts. Realistic people with the odd turn of plot.

On Death and Dying
On Death and Dying
by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
Price: CDN$ 13.71
78 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for all of us, Jan. 1 2009
Ce commentaire est de: On Death and Dying (Paperback)
She is an amazing woman, and her books have really helped me. This one really helped me deal with the death of my parents. It gave me much food for thought when writing my memoir.

Breaking the Silence: Overcoming the Problem of Principal Mistreatment o
Breaking the Silence: Overcoming the Problem of Principal Mistreatment o
by Joseph J. Blase
Price: CDN$ 45.13
14 used & new from CDN$ 45.13

4.0 out of 5 stars speak truth to power, Jan. 1 2009
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Excellent book that came to me at a time when I was looking for help with this problem. It is not a small one, nor limited to the US. There is much that rang true for an educator in an Ontario city.

A must for principal's training courses.

It helps to know you are not alone and gives many good suggestions.

Page: 1 | 2