Profile for Jennifer A. Jilks > Reviews

Content by Jennifer A. Jilks

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jennifer A. Jilks "author: Living & Dying With Dignity" (Perth, Ontario CANADA)

Page: 1 | 2
A Sniper's Conflict: An Elite Sharpshooter’s Thrilling Account of Hunting Insurgents in Afghanistan and Iraq
by Monty B
Price: CDN$ 20.03
36 used & new from CDN$ 18.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written but gruesome, March 7 2015
What an autobiography, A Sniper’s Conflict! He pulls no punches, as far as I can tell. He calls himself Monty B, this author. It's a pretty gruesome saga, with gory details about death, sniper kills, and dying. There are some photos, as well. Some faces, of soldiers still living with faces blurred to protect them. Many were lost, as we know.

This book, A Sniper’s Conflict is very precise in teaching the reader how to focus, hold a breathe, relax and prepare to shoot an insurgent. Monty B was a sniper instructor for 14 years of his 26-year career, and taught many others the discipline of sniping. He served in operational tours in Northern Ireland, the Balkans, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I found it gruesome. It is truly an manual for being a sniper.

There is a glossary of terms, for we know how fond the military is of acronyms! His writing is excellent, with colourful language, as one would expect.
He also manages, for me, to explain PTSD.
"It is only when you are back in the sanctuary and security of your patrol base... Then when you finally get chance to put your head down, your mind and body let you know what the F you have just put them through as you lie there in would-be silence with the battle noise still ringing in your ears. Surrounded by complete darkness, you finally try to close your eyes and rest but there is one more final battle: a battle against the still very active and conscious mind and aching body that only you as an individual can fight. All you need and want to do is simply shut your eyes and rest and make it all go away."
He writes eloquently of the landscape and the arrival of dawn.
"Light was slowly penetrating through the dark clouds that blanketed the heavens, breaking through and beaming down onto the earth below. As I observed this effect it reminded me of the images associated with a classic old big-budget biblical Hollywood epic...Gradually the darkness was replaced by bright colour: a mixture of light purple and red that tainted the low-lying dark clouds and skyline on the far horizon."

The Cancer Olympics
The Cancer Olympics
by Robin McGee
Price: CDN$ 23.51
11 used & new from CDN$ 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written story of empowerment, Feb. 22 2015
This review is from: The Cancer Olympics (Paperback)
Robin and I traded books. I am so glad we did. It is a well-written, well documented journey by a well-educated, well-read woman. She has courage, strength, and many, many friends who helped her on her journey. She has worked hard to make improvements to the healthcare system in her province, Nova Scotia.

It's interesting how, for the most part, it is the individual doctors who make such terrible mistakes. The system usually works well if all fulfill their proper roles. Mind you, it is helpful is we live in larger cities, with more services.

When Your Grandparent Dies
When Your Grandparent Dies
by Victoria Ryan
Price: CDN$ 9.95
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping Kids with Grief, Jan. 23 2013
In my teaching career I looked for many ways to help my students with the grieving process. Picture books worked as well with the older kids than the younger. This book would be excellent, for kids whose parents believe in heaven. Not good for a family of any other group. It refers to it being OK to cry, mixed emotions, but what bothered me was the fact that they typecast grandma as baking cookies and grandpa going fishing in heaven. Truly, this works for rural, stereotypical families, but not ours.When Your Grandparent Dies

Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
by Amy Sedaris
Price: CDN$ 31.99
93 used & new from CDN$ 4.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Another waste of money, Jan. 21 2011
This book was a terrible waste of money. As a Hospice Volunteer, I was hoping for ideas to use with my clients. I was really upset with this. Disgusting, vulgar, and a total farce on crafting, with ridiculous pictures and useless crafts.

I'm A Big Sister
I'm A Big Sister
by Joanna Cole
Price: CDN$ 8.08
226 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars big sisters, May 16 2010
This review is from: I'm A Big Sister (Hardcover)
This is a lovely little book. My granddaughter just had a baby sister a week ago. She loves the book, a gift from three young ladies who are sisters. I agree that breastfeeding could/should have been mentioned,rather than putting in bottle feeding, but the benefits of the book outweigh this minor issue.

Shaped by the West Wind: Nature and History in Georgian Bay
Shaped by the West Wind: Nature and History in Georgian Bay
by Claire Elizabeth Campbell
Price: CDN$ 33.20
9 used & new from CDN$ 33.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical read, May 3 2010
I really have enjoyed this book, reading beside the lake. There is a lot of information about our region.

Writers Have No Age: Creative Writing for Older Adults, Second Edition
Writers Have No Age: Creative Writing for Older Adults, Second Edition
by Karen Updike
Price: CDN$ 66.33
9 used & new from CDN$ 47.94

3.0 out of 5 stars pricey for content, Feb. 9 2010
I was quite surprised at the size of this book. For the $20 I paid, it includes a series of essays about facilitating writing, but I do not think it is worth the cost.

I didn't read the 'fine print' and notice that there are only 134 pages.
There are a few ideas I will use in my Creative WRiting class at our local penitentiary, but I don't think it is value for the money. As a retired teacher, counting my volunteer expenses, I would not recommend it. There is not a lot that is new. Only a few bits of practical information.

Writing to Heal
Writing to Heal
by James W. Pennebaker
14 used & new from CDN$ 66.28

4.0 out of 5 stars discipline required, Jan. 2 2009
This review is from: Writing to Heal (Hardcover)
I truly believe in writing as part of the healing process. This type of book would be a good one for a group working together. For those dealing with grief, bereavement, and mourning, whether it be death or other life trauma, it is difficult to find the discipline to write on a regular basis. For myself, I found it hard to do anything. Decisions were hard to make, and plans were difficult to come by.

Kay Porterfield's review is excellent, but if you do not have self-discipline, and a support group, I would suggest this book might not be a good investment. There are many lined pages for writing, but I find this limits me. I prefer my computer keyboard or a pad of paper.

Mom's Cancer
Mom's Cancer
by Brian Fies
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars laughter - the best medicine, Jan. 1 2009
This review is from: Mom's Cancer (Hardcover)
- need I say more? There comes a point when laughter is difficult, but in the meantime let it go!

Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis The Pilot & Series 1
Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis The Pilot & Series 1
DVD ~ Charlie Cox
Price: CDN$ 35.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 22.94

4.0 out of 5 stars another great Brit production, Jan. 1 2009
I quite liked it. None of the American style blood and guts. Realistic people with the odd turn of plot.

Page: 1 | 2