Profile for SassyOphelia > Reviews

Content by SassyOphelia

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

SassyOphelia "sassybroad12" (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Lady In The Loch
Lady In The Loch
by Elizabeth Scarborough
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder mystery, horror story, historical novel, Aug. 4 2003
This book is all of these things. One thing, though, the dialogue is written in dialect. While if I had known this, I probably wouldn't have gotten the book, I actually enjoyed the Scottish flavor. It's not so unitelligable that you lose the plot. Most of it is easy enough to understand, especially after being read out loud. Even if the dialogue can't be understood, the writing is so good, that the point is driven across anyway.
After all that, what is left is a look into a different society; a murder mystery where young gypsy girls are going missing, and a horror story where the dead rise to sccuse their killers, and a crazed doctor tries to assemble parts to bring his lover back to life.
A definite must read.

Shade's Children
Shade's Children
by Garth Nix
Price: CDN$ 9.26
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sure it's disturbing. That's all the fun., Aug. 4 2003
Yes, this book is disturbing. All adults gone, kids harvested for parts, death everywhere. But that chill is the beauty of the work. While I read this book at when I thought i would be too old for the writing, I was still too young for the content. I have to admit practically crying at the end. This book moved me in such a way that I was freaked, yet inspired. Hey, that's good writing.

The Memoirs of Cleopatra: A Novel
The Memoirs of Cleopatra: A Novel
by Margaret George
Price: CDN$ 15.67
67 used & new from CDN$ 1.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Egyptian, July 28 2003
This book was a great find. I love reading fiction set in ancient Egypt, and Ms. George does a very admirable job. Everything is well researched, and documented in the back of the book. Over 900 pages might seem a lot, but it isn't. I loved the daily life details that were gone into, it COULD have been shorter by deleting them, but the book was so much richer for them.
Memoirs political manuvering, intrigue, romance, war, everthing anyone could want in a novel. I didn't enjoy all the politics and war details, but that is just a personal opinion and they were easy enough to skip over.
I highly reccommend this book to anyone, even if they have no idea of the history of the times or characters. Memoirs works as a stand alone work of fiction as well as a historical novel with real people and events.

Xanth: The Quest for Magic
Xanth: The Quest for Magic
by Piers Anthony
20 used & new from CDN$ 33.13

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Trilogy to Begin With., May 14 2003
This book is a compilation of the first three books of the Xanth series. It is great for people who want to get started on a series, but don't have the patience to stop the story long enough to buy the next book. With the first three in hand, you can easily immerse yourself in this magical world without setting foot in a bookstore.
Xanth is a land where everyone has a magical talent. The first book tells of a quest where a young man named Bink searches for his talent before he is exiled to Mundania, where magic does not exist. Clever puns and witty dialogue make up for the slightly sexist themes. A great read.

The Lottery and Other Stories
The Lottery and Other Stories
by Shirley Jackson
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect to Make Sense from This, Feb. 6 2003
The stories are chilling and rememberable. However, many of the stories seemed to have no point. "Art for art's sake alone" perhaps, but I felt somewhat empty after reading some stories and not quite understanding them. However, I am rather young, so perhaps that is just my opinion for someone in teens or twenties.

Black Thorn, White Rose
Black Thorn, White Rose
by Ellen Datlow
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great One, Feb. 6 2003
Another great one from the team of Datlow and Windling. The magic and beauty of popular fairy tales with new twists and adult themes. I especially liked Midori Snyder's "Tattercoats". For some reason, of all of this 'series" I would say this is my least favorite, with many stories being confusing, but being the least favorite of these books still places it high above many others.

Jimmy Eat World
Jimmy Eat World
Price: CDN$ 13.01
40 used & new from CDN$ 5.21

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Got a Beat and you can Dance to it, Jan. 2 2003
This review is from: Jimmy Eat World (Audio CD)
lots of people were introduced this this album via the radio. When I bought the album, I did not expect the diversity of styles on it. Most albums by one artist get boring, all songs sound alike. However, this is one of the few CDs that I can listen to all the way through without getting bored, or skipping songs I don't like. I love every song on this CD.