Profile for Teranika > Reviews

Content by Teranika

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Teranika (Vancouver, BC, CANADA)

ON BECOMING BABYWISE ONE: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
ON BECOMING BABYWISE ONE: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
by Robert Bucknam
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, common sense approach, Dec 29 2007
This book was recommended to me by a friend whose two children were sleeping 8 hours/night at the age of 7 weeks. She attributes their sleeping patterns to the lessons learned from this book. It provides a detailed, practical approach that allows parents to establish routines and guidelines for their infants. At the same time, the authors recognize the importance of flexibility - that no infant (or parent) is going to behave the same way - and provides tips on how to incorporate flexibility into a baby's routine when needed. Finally, I liked how this book aims to empower parents to be PARENTS - their goal is to make a new baby a valuable PART of a family, and not the family CENTER.

I was less enthralled with the early discussions of all of the different types of parenting methods and theories, but I see that the authors needed to put their approach in perspective of other theories that are out there. Also, much of the information about the benefits of breastfeeding were already known to me, and so this information was redundant (but might be useful to other readers). Nevertheless, I pointed out the three most relevant chapters (6,7,8) for my partner to read.

Finally, I particularly appreciated the inclusion of statistics of the numbers of babies who slept through the night when using this book's approach, as well as their stats on the number. Their discussion of scientific studies and just the overall common sense of the routines they suggest appealed to me.

The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: An All-Canadian Guide to Conception, Birth and Everything in Between
by Ann Douglas
33 used & new from CDN$ 1.63

1.0 out of 5 stars least informative, overly cutesy., Nov. 29 2007
Over the course of my pregnancy I've acquired several books about conception, prenatal development, and birth. This one was the least helpful. I am someone who likes to refer to how babies are developing and what general changes I would be likely to experience. I found that this book was somewhat outdated on these facts, and that the author preferred to focus on topics such as baby gear and maternity clothes. I also did not appreciate the structure of the book - the first chapter detailed all the reasons why one *shouldn't* have a baby to make the point that there is never a right time - instead I found it emphasizing potential difficulties and negatives about having a baby. The second chapter seemed to dwell on the message, "do this while you are young, because when you are older you'll just encounter problems" - a nice message to get from a book when your life has made it so that you are 39 and pregnant - I think an approach that describes the potential increase in problems while providing constructive advice on how to deal with some of challenges of becoming an older mother would have been more helpful.

And then, I simply found that other books simply provided more information, about fitness, symptoms experienced, prenatal development, nourishment, etc. There was no mention in this book of fibroids (an issue that I have encountered). And although "What to Expect When Expecting" is also not my preferred resource, I was grateful that it at least made *mention* of this rather common problem in pregnancy, and what I could expect during pregnancy and delivery. (Several other resources also skipped over the problems of fibroids).

I was also missing up-to-date and detailed information about tests, and what tests to expect as common within the Canadian system. As a foreigner living in Canada, I purchased this book in part for the promise of some "All-Canadian" resources (about available health resources, standard tests and injections, etc), but sadly I found these were also limited. So, I guess this book is not for everyone in their pursuit of "Project Baby" (the author's cutesy phrase, not mine.)