Profile for Sara Youngman > Reviews

Content by Sara Youngman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sara Youngman (Grand Rapids, MI United States)

Step Inside This House
Step Inside This House
Price: CDN$ 32.31
11 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Music, March 26 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Step Inside This House (Audio CD)
I recently heard David Rodriguez (author of the Snow Leopard and the Tanqueray Cowboy) original version of the song. It was a very matter-of-fact, almost throw-away song about a rich girl suffering from all that "Daddy's money" could not buy. Compare this to Lyle's version, where he drops the "daddy" and sings one of the most beautiful ballads I've ever heard. Much more of a love song than anything else. I find his interpretation masterful, powerful and highly pleasurable. This is the best song on the 2 cd set.

My Baby Dont Tolerate
My Baby Dont Tolerate
Price: CDN$ 24.58
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Lyle Let Me Down, Oct. 23 2003
Ce commentaire est de: My Baby Dont Tolerate (Audio CD)
I've been an avid fan for about 3 years; one of those who hate country but love Lyle. This is the first of his cds which sounds like a traditional country album - with the exception of the 2 glorious gospel songs. I agree that the music is redundant, but it is also that twangy-kind of country music that Lyle never did. I've listened to it twice, straight through, and probably won't listen to it again. What a disappointment.

The Yardbirds: The Band That Launched Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page
The Yardbirds: The Band That Launched Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page
by Alan Clayson
Price: CDN$ 16.75
18 used & new from CDN$ 16.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, Aug. 13 2003
Conveyed new information, so was worth the read for an avid fan, but it dragged on and on.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood: A Memoir
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood: A Memoir
by Eric Burdon
15 used & new from CDN$ 33.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, Aug. 13 2003
Informative and well written. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Within Our House
Within Our House
Price: CDN$ 110.55
4 used & new from CDN$ 91.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious Music, March 24 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Within Our House (Audio CD)
What a thrill to hear Gary Brooker's relatively unchanged voice from Procol Harum's hayday. Their music was always glorious, but these versions of "A Salty Dog" and "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" made the heavens open wide. Unthinkable that these songs could ever have been improved upon, but in this cd, taped inside Brooker's church, they were. Any Procol Harum fan must have this cd. It was truly glorious. Thus speaketh the atheist.

Isle of Dogs
Isle of Dogs
by Patricia Cornwell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
115 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A Real Stinker, Oct. 23 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Isle of Dogs (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been a Cornwell fan since she began writing. The books featuring Dr. Kay Scarpetta are beautifully written, suspenseful and keep me glued to my seat. The Isle of Dogs, on the other hand, was like a very cheap imitation of Carl Hiiasen novels. It just does not work; I was embarrassed for the author. How can such a wonderful writer write such [stuff]? I hope she got this out of her system and goes back to what she does so beautifully.