Profile for Jeanne K. > Reviews

Content by Jeanne K.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jeanne K. (Southern CA)

Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause: A Guide to Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Health at Midlife and Beyond
by Suza Francina
Price: CDN$ 12.96
29 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of wisdom, June 10 2003
As a woman entering menopause, I have found this book to be packed with valuable information. Francina does not merely make claims for yoga postures -- she backs up those claims with scientific explanations, and goes into great detail describing the effect menopause has on the on the different glands of the body, then recommends postures to help deal with different situations (hot flashes, insomnia, etc.). I recently had comprehensive bloodwork done by my M.D., which indicated poorly functioning adrenals. My M.D. had no advice to give to correct the situation -- but lo and behold, Francina's book addresses the specific problem, saying that it's a common occurrence during/before menopause. She prescribes specific asanas (postures), which I have been doing regularly. I find them to be energizing and enormously helpful in reducing stress.