Profile for Anya > Reviews

Content by Anya

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Anya (Provo, Utah United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Discover Bellydance
Discover Bellydance
DVD ~ ve
Offered by Now Showing DVD's
Price: CDN$ 15.60
6 used & new from CDN$ 15.47

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal!, May 17 2004
This review is from: Discover Bellydance (DVD)
As a bellydancer for over 10 years, I was happy to find this set. It seems that this art is becoming popular, and so there are many instructional dvds out there now, you will notice the release dates are all pretty new!
Anyway, these two know how to teach well, and they are great! I learned a few new things, and it is a fun workout as well.
Get this one if you really want to learn bellydance.

What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work
by Ronda Rich
Price: CDN$ 12.64
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all women, southern or not!, April 30 2004
This was a fun book to read, and had a lot of advice that was surprizingly right on target. The writing style is like listening to a friend tell you stories and give advice, so it is a very enjoyable book to read, and it is also funny!
You will get something great out of this book, and you may even learn a thing or two about how to get what you want out of life. If anything, you will spend an enjoyable afternoon reading.

World Lounge
World Lounge
Offered by village_music_world-usa
Price: CDN$ 18.97
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD, April 29 2004
This review is from: World Lounge (Audio CD)
This is my favorite from the Putumayo collection. It has a perfect blend of various styles, but yet they go together well. It is great background music for a party, and it is a joy to listen to while you are busy at the computer.
It is a great introduction to world music. Once you start listening, you won't want to stop.

Whale Rider (Special Edition)
Whale Rider (Special Edition)
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 43.62
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars So interesting!, April 29 2004
This movie was so interesting. I watched it more than once. There are so many wonderful points to be learned in this film, but the most important of all is to be true to who you are. Pai, the main character, is convinced that she is to be the next leader, and sets out to become just that. It isn't an easy road, which I am glad to see, because it mirrors true life, which is never that easy. However, she stays true to herself, and overcomes a big obstacle to achieve her goal.
The setting, and the film itself, are beautiful.

Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
by Joe Dominguez
90 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plan, and message., April 29 2004
This book is truly about more than just getting out of debt and gaining control over your money. It is about choosing what is most important to you personally, then making the choices to help you get it (whatever that may be).
If you get this book, and want it to change your life, you have to follow the system laid out in it. It does no good whatsoever to just read it and then hope for the best. We need to take action and control of our money situations if we are going to make a change, and this book gives the tools needed to do just that.

Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing power of Belly Dancing
Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing power of Belly Dancing
by Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi
Price: CDN$ 14.44
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book about belly dance, April 29 2004
I got this book because I have been belly dancing for over 10 years and wanted to learn more about the history and background behind the dance. This book did not disapoint! It was a wonderful look into the beauty and power that can be found in belly dance, and the bonds of women.
This is a great gift for anyone interested in learning about belly dance and life in the Middle East. It is a great book for belly dancers, as the section about dance moves is very interesting and full of insights about why the movements are important.
Overall it was also an easy book to read and the style was great, even with the translation, it came across well. I really enjoyed reading it, and it has helped me with my dance practice as well.

Glimpses Into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
Glimpses Into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
by Marjorie Pay Hinckley
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, April 29 2004
This book is full of wonderful wisdom, from an inspiring lady.
I really enjoyed reading this book again after Sister Hinkley's recent passing. It was a fun and enjoyable way to get a peek into her life. She truly had an inspiring spirit, and a magical sense of humor that put everyone around her at ease instantly.
This is a book to be read at times of happiness, or in times of trouble. It is a great gift for any LDS household, and even for those who are not of this faith. There are so many wonderful insights about living and loving in this book.

Being Enough
Being Enough
by Chieko N. Okazaki
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for LDS Women, April 29 2004
This review is from: Being Enough (Hardcover)
I love all of Cheiko's books, but this one really is timely. She has a wonderful writing style, like you are having a conversation with a dear friend.
This book is all about being enough, relaxing and enjoying who and what we are right now. It has wonderful insights about how to do this, and how to take ourselves a little less seriously. I recieved this as a gift, and I was so happy to read the pages that I finished it in just two days. I think that this book is really great for women in this time period when so many messages are coming our way about what we need to be, how we always need to be doing more and more. We really don't need to be doing more, as long as we are focusing on the really important things in life, everything else is just extras that we can choose to add in, or leave out. This book reminds the reader to enjoy life and enjoy being who you are.

The Surrendered Wife: A Practical Guide To Finding Intimacy, Passion and Peace
The Surrendered Wife: A Practical Guide To Finding Intimacy, Passion and Peace
by Laura Doyle
Price: CDN$ 13.71
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice, and some bad., April 29 2004
I liked a lot of what this book had to offer. There were things that just wouldn't work in a lot of relationships though, so you really have to just take what feels right for yourself and ignore the rest.
The main point that she made that I really did like, and which I feel would help a lot of marriages, even good marriages, is the advice to state what you want clearly. This is something I feel can improve all aspects of your life. To state clearly your desires with the actual words "I want" or "I don't want", is empowering. The hard part is taking the second action after the want is stated, which is to let your husband fullfill this want for you, in his own way and time.
Don't be mislead by the title, this book really isn't about being totally submissive and ignoring your wants and needs. It is actually about getting more of what you want by repecting your partner. You can read the whole first chapter and intro on the Surrendered Wife website, and then decide if it is for you or not.

Sink Reflections
Sink Reflections
by Marla Cilley
Price: CDN$ 15.16
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Take what you need, leave the rest., April 29 2004
This review is from: Sink Reflections (Paperback)
There is a lot of great advice in this book. The clutter clearing tips alone make this a great addition to your library of housecleaning books. I also love the advice that even housecleaning done incorrectly still blesses the family, because I know that sometimes we can get hung up on the notion of doing things right or not doing them at all.
However, you will have to tailor the system to suit your family and your needs. For example, we just have two people in our house, it is very easy to keep our home clean with just some simple pick up and staying on top of laundy. The rountines suggested actually make it harder for me. For people with children, or with health problems, you may also have a hard time doing everything "by the book". Marla does encourage you to set it up the way that works for you though, which I appreciate.
There is one point that really bothered me in this book. Most women who will read this book, may have a husband who does absolutly nothing around the house. She basically says to get over it, and just do it yourself. She makes it a point that if you were living alone you would have to do all the chores yourself, so you may as well do them now without complaint. That'd be great if you were still living alone, but in a household with two adults, it seems fair that the wife has a little help, especially if both spouses work outside the home. I don't think it is too much to ask that a husband, or wife, pick up after themselves.
Overall it is a good book for getting ideas of how to improve your household by implementing the use of routines. There are also good cleaning tips, and her writing style is easy to read. Just be sure that you don't drive yourself crazy trying to do everything she tells you! Take the good, and what works, and leave the rest behind.

Page: 1 | 2