ARRAY(0xac61e438)

Profile for Adriana Larrain > Reviews

Content by Adriana Larrain

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Adriana Larrain "Az" (Santiago, RM Chile)

I Love You: Bolero 3
I Love You: Bolero 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as old as it sounds, April 25 2004
This review is from: I Love You: Bolero 3 (Audio CD)
I ordered this CD for my parents, because they wanted it. This alone should have been reason enough to hate it, but even in spite of my prejudice, I liked this guy's music. It's not boring as elevator music and will get your attention even if it is just playing in the background, but not too much. Just enough so that if you pay attention to the music, you can notice how good it is. Good saxophone versions of nice well known songs.

Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile
Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile
by Bill Willingham
Edition: Comic
18 used & new from CDN$ 7.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing covers, good art, mediocre characters, Dec 8 2003
Ok, the art is quite good and Willingham takes a sort of dumb idea: fairy tale characters taken to contemporary NY, into quite an interesting crew of people. However, I really missed more character development. Ok, there's conflict and relationships between them, but it all seemed so straightforward and simple!
Besides, Snow White appears like such an interesting character with her attitude and all, along with B. Wolf, but I really think that they've been treated with not enough respect. I think they deserved more development, more texture and depth.
And the end of the story is kinda obvious. Although if you take it as a sort of wink to classic detective novels such as Agatha Christie's, etc, it may acquire a better edge. Though not enough.
I still liked the book, read it quickly and enjoyed it enough to get me the second part. However, I don't see how this can compare to other Vertigo titles such as Sandman or Preacher, which are an absolutely different kind of literature, more mature and the kind that really makes you think and question things.
And I REALLY don't see how this could ever be compared to Sandman... please...
Still, I want to see how the series develops, I have some faith in it. Take a look at the covers for the second book: wow.

Death: At Death's Door
Death: At Death's Door
by Jill Thompson
Price: CDN$ 10.79
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars What happens with this book is weird, Sept. 19 2003
This review is from: Death: At Death's Door (Paperback)
I like Sandman a lot, I like Death a lot. I sometimes like manga. However, there's something not quite right about this book. It may be seeing the Endless lose their temper, it may be the many many pages without such a good story, or it may be the use of cheap blinks at sandman fans just to win them over but without really making good use of stuff like, for example, green mouse and telephone icecream. Dream screaming may have done it for me. From that moment on I just didn't take the book or the story too seriously and I ended up having more fun with it. After all, it is what it says it is: A party at Death's door held pretty much by Delirium... What would you expect?
Don't get me wrong, I liked the book. Some of the drawings, especially of Death, are great, and I laughed at the jokes about the perky goth girl. It's just that I think the book isn't really at Sandman level and I expected a bit more from Jill Thompson (though I do give her points for drawing AND writing it) because it sometimes looked like fanfic.
Still, a Sandman fan must. (Though I certainly do not crave for a second part (it says "N° 1" on the cover))

The Sandman The Quotable Sandman
The Sandman The Quotable Sandman
by Neil Gaiman
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Being a Sandman freak, I absolutely recomend it, Sept. 11 2003
Having said that, I must say that this is something you should buy once you have the whole Sandman collection. It doesn't have anything to add to the storyline, but the drawings... Ahhh... the drawings!!!
Towards the end of the book (which is an adorable small size) there are some drawings that were never shown in the series and I was breathless... A great drawing of Desire, and one magnificent Death by some artist that clearly hasn't had all the credit he deserves. There is some preference for Delirium, who has lots of quotes and pages, but as a Tori Amos freak as well I can't complain.
I'd say it's a must for any obsessive collectionist like me.