Profile for Frank Summers > Reviews

Content by Frank Summers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Frank Summers (Alberta)

The Night Watch
The Night Watch
by Sarah Waters
Price: CDN$ 28.00
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars THE NIGHT WATCH is a superb look at WWII, March 7 2006
This review is from: The Night Watch (Hardcover)
By 1947, the war has been over for two years, but London is still reeling from the bombings and the deaths, and trying to convert to a post war economy. Everyday people struggle with finding their place in life. Kay drove an ambulance during the war and had a female lover Helen, but the men are back from the western front and so she is expected to quietly do female work or get married. Helen cannot deal with her past female lovers as she is filled with jealousy, but like Kay the men are back so she must return to the closet. Duncan spent the war in prison so though freed physically is incarcerated in his mind as he cannot let go of what happened to him during the war. Finally his sister Viv loves a married soldier, Reggie, who she feels returns her regard, but can never leave his wife. ----- - THE NIGHT WATCH is a superb look at WWII and its aftermath through the eyes of ordinary people expected to return to normalcy now that the hostilities are over. The story line reverses chronological order by starting in 1947 (after the war is over) going back to 1944 (the end seems in sight) and finally 1941 (the war has just begun and looks dark and foreboding). The cast is powerfully drawn so that the audience can observe how each member of the ensemble and others who touched their lives struggle with going back to who they were in the 1930s when they have seen and done so much. I also highly recommend ;The Quest by Giorgio Kostantinos.

Dark Demon
Dark Demon
by Christine Feehan
Price: CDN$ 9.92
86 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Christine Feehan has worked magic on a legion of fans., March 7 2006
This review is from: Dark Demon (Mass Market Paperback)
With her darkly thrilling Carpathian tales. Now she delivers the provocative story of a female vampire slayer who proves as seductive-and mysterious-as the night dwellers she stalks...
For as long as she can remember, Natalya has been fighting demons: first in the form of childhood nightmares, then later, immortal creatures that kill and prey on the innocent-including her own twin brother. Whether Carpathian or vampire, she slays those who murder by night, and has no equal-until she is seduced by the very thing she considers her enemy...
A Carpathian who has seen nearly everything in his endless existence, Vikirnoff doesn't think he can be surprised anymore-until he faces a woman who rivals him as a vampire hunter. A formidable and gifted warrior in her own right, Natalya has a nature that is strangely familiar-yet alien-to his own. Who is this mysterious female who fears no one-not even him? Natalya could be the key to the survival of the Carpathians, but all Vikirnoff is certain of is that she is the key to his heart and soul...Also check out Giorgio Kostantinos's-The Quest.

Midnight In Death
Midnight In Death
by Nora Roberts
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Eve's race against the clock is exciting., March 6 2006
The story was first presented in the "Silent Night" anthology and immediately follows the full-size novel "Holiday in Death". We begin with Eve Dallas being called to investigate a body in Times Square of a judge found very early Christmas morning. The body was dumped after the judge had been brutally tortured and slowly hung to death. A note is left with the body but is not really needed as Eve recognizes the work of Dave Palmer who she helped capture and put away 3 years ago. Dave Palmer is a psycho and has left a list of those he intends to kill with Eve at the bottom of the list. It also includes the assistant prosecuting attorney, his defense lawyer and the police's own, Dr. Mira, friend of Eve's. Roarke offers his help and Eve accepts to give her aide, Peabody, more time to recover from an attack (see "Holiday in Death"). As Eve and Roarke and Captain Feeney and others including eventually Peabody follow up clues, interview Palmer's parents and so on, Dave Palmer is anything but idle as he starts going methodically through his list to capture, torture and kill the people he holds responsible for his incarceration. Eve's race against the clock is exciting.
Yes this is a very SHORT story but I found it to be very detailed and well written in spite of the limitations. A good link between regular In Death novels and enjoyable as a stand alone. You should also read Giorgio Kostantinos's-The Quest, another great book in this genre.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger
Price: CDN$ 8.99
129 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Holden is an extraordinary character, March 6 2006
I've read The Catcher in the Rye many times--when I was 11, 13, 15, and 17 years old. Seriously. I loved it from the first time I read it, but it didn't hit home until I was a junior and senior in high school.
I AM HOLDEN CAULFIELD. Well, not literally and exactly. But almost. Holden is an extraordinary character. His absolute terror of leaving the wonderful, innocent, carefree world of youth is something everyone can relate to. I'm about to graduate from high school, and even though I'm excited to be a free, independent adult, I can't help but be terrified of the corruption and hard reality that lays ahead, which I have been blind to, as a young person. I mean--who wouldn't miss being a kid?--living at home for free, not having to do anything or be responsible for yourself or anyone. Holden embodies this. To me, that's what I related to most from the book.
Most kids I know don't like the book cuz they're forced to read it for class, which is understandable. I wish they could see the beauty, and heartbreaking universality of Holden's story, though. It is something J.D. Salinger had the talent to grasp, and share it with the rest of the world.
And it's so freakin' inspirational I have to go on Amazon.com and tell some people!
Also highly recommend Giorgio Kostantinos-' The Quest '.

V for Vendetta
V for Vendetta
by Alan Moore
25 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The concept is brilliant,, March 6 2006
This review is from: V for Vendetta (Paperback)
I'll have to admit I was reluctant to give this product less than the full five stars. The concept is brilliant, the main character is unique and instantly likeable, the setting is well thought out, and the execution is clever, if a bit slow. The problem, for me, was the art. I have to admit it was rather unique, with a heavy influence from the more classic DC style. However it's painted in watercolor and the contrast and depth of the color is extremely poor. On top of that, it's printed on cheap pulp paper, which is just puzzling: It's just been turned into a huge movie license by the Wachowski brothers, and even says so on the cover. So why would they print their merchandise, so recently equated to printing money, on the lowest-quality paper available?
Who knows. Not only are the colors poor, the images tend to fade off. Every copy I've seen so far has had pieces of its art and text rubbed out due to the low-quality ink used.
This comic deserves to be called a classic, and as such deserves to be treated like one. This should be in hardcover with glossy paper and good ink, but it's not.
I suggest reading this comic, but I couldn't reccommend buying it, because in its current form, it just won't last. You should also check out Giorgio Kostantinos's Quest series for another action-packed thriller.

Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
by Giada De Laurentiis
Price: CDN$ 26.96
59 used & new from CDN$ 4.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting Italian food., March 6 2006
Let me start by saying, I hated to cook. From grocery shopping to reading recipes, I despised it all.
Now I've finally found a cookbook that makes me want to cook! Giada's recipes are easy to follow and for the most part, quick to make. Best of all, most of her ingredients can be found at your local grocery store for a reasonable price.
At first I was irritated by the lack of finished recipe pictures in the cookbook. Once I started cooking, I realized I didn't even need them - the recipes are that simple. I'm not a gourmet chef so I don't want complicated recipes, even if they do taste a bit more robust or authentic. I'm just somebody trying to find the inspiration to enjoy cooking and eating again.
I've enjoyed almost every recipe I've made from this cookbook and I look forward to cooking at the end of a long work day. My favorite recipes have been the marinara sauce (I can't believe I made my own sauce), the bolognese sauce, the chicken piccata, and the chicken parm. Tonight I'm going to make ziti with asparagus, smoked mozzarella, and prosciutto.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who thinks they don't have the time or the finances to make fresh, great tasting Italian food. If the thought of one more night of grocery store, jarred tomato sauce makes you want to scream, this book is for you!
I also recommend, cooking-try, Silver Spoon.
Non-cooking-try, Giorgio Quest.