Profile for Kristen Cardozo > Reviews

Content by Kristen Cardozo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kristen Cardozo (California)

Page: 1 | 2
National Geographic Video: 30 Years of National Geographic Specials (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 33.62
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, but it doesn't matter, Aug. 15 2003
With 30 years of some of the best documentaries around to choose material from, it scarcely matters that there is no new footage. The narration seamlessly bridges the gaps between the various shorts from National Geographic specials of the past. I wasn't sure what to expect, since it is essentially teasers of other films, but this is a great film in its own right.
We got the film for our little boys, and they've loved it from day one. My older son is learning a lot about the differing relationships of the natural world, and the broad expanse of this film is perfect for him. It never gets bogged down in the mundane, but it also panders to a long attention span. This is a big difference from the National Geographic videos intended specifically for kids. They tend to be the same basic idea...cut footage from older films, but cut so that there is no footage of animals eating each other, no mating, and it is interspersed with unneccesary music videos and cutesy animation. Even with Dudley Moore's narration, it can't compete. Skip the kid stuff and give your kids the real thing.

Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
by Mercer Mayer
Price: CDN$ 4.74
102 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A very cute tool, Dec 12 2001
This book is excellent for teaching small children about the limitations and possibilties of a younger sibling. It is also one of the only books about two brothers available for very young children. When my son was disappointed to learn that he would not be receiving the younger sister he had yearned for, this book was great in getting him excited about a little brother. No masterwork of fiction, this, but it does get its point across loud and clear, and that is what matters with this sort of children's book anyhow. Some of the activities anticipated by Little Critter may not be those that every parent wants to encourage, but again, that probably isn't the point.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: A Novel
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: A Novel
by Michael Chabon
128 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fiction, Dec 11 2001
The much-lauded "Kavalier and Clay" deserves all of the praise it has received. The prose is lovely and fresh, descriptive without being overdone. This is one of the best novels written in recent years.
Set in the turmoil of the times surrounding WWII, also the "Golden Age of Comics", a story unfolds of two young men who are trying to succeed in the comic book industry, and by so doing, save themselves. Chabon explores the reasons for the popularity of superhero comics, namely among disenfranchised young men, without isolating readers who are uninterested in men in tights. He is so on target with human emotion and the drama inherent in life that one cannot help but feel for his characters. Joe Kavalier is a particularly captivating creation, a hero, and a hero more fascinating than any of his own paper progeny.
Enough has been written of the plot without my adding to it. I mostly just wanted to express appreciation for the only adult novel I've come across in recent months that was original, exciting, and great. There's a reason that this book won the Pulitzer.

Baby Science: How Babies Really Work!
Baby Science: How Babies Really Work!
by Ann Douglas
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Really more like 2 1/2 stars, Oct. 3 2001
I bought this book based on the reviews here, but I was fairly disappointed. The pictures and the layout leave much to be desired, and the text is not bad, but not great either. I could not hold my two-year-old's attention with this one, although he will sit still for most books. Frankly, I had purchased this book partially because of the photographs, but I think I would rather just show my son "A Child is Born" or "Your Amazing Newborn" and explain the text to him. There just wasn't as much information here as I had hoped for. This is certainly not a bad book, especially for slightly older children, but it is not a great book either.

Love You Forever
Love You Forever
by Robert Munsch
Price: CDN$ 15.72
48 used & new from CDN$ 1.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a little bit disturbing, July 29 2001
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
I know myself to be in the minority on this one, but this book has given me the willies ever since I first discovered it while working in a children's bookstore. Unlike 'The Runaway Bunny', a book which comforts children in an age-appropriate and metaphorical way, 'Love You Forever' seems to be written to comfort parents. The book only details the negative things that the son does, seemingly implies that the mother loves him 'anyway'. The pictures are distinctly odd, giving one the impression that the illustrator has never looked on a living teenager. While the idea that a mother loves her son no matter what he does is very sweet and comforting, the idea of an old lady driving across town with a ladder strapped to her car in order to climb into her grown son's window is not. There is no father in this book, making the obvious Freudian assumptions a little too real for comfort. Books like 'Guess How Much I Love You?' and 'Emma Bean' show just as much love, but in a gentler, more subtle way that I think children can appreciate better than the literal message of unconditional love of in 'Love You Forever'. Although I've had this book recommended to me many a time since my son was born, I think I'll stick to books that both of us are comfortable with.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man
by H. G. Wells
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 5.69
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on details, weak on the big picture..., July 16 2001
H.G. Wells is undeniably a master of ideas. Unfortunately, his concern for scientific details often interferes with his execution of a particular story. This is the case in his 'The Invisible Man'. Wells takes a fascinating idea of how invisibility could be possible and forces it into the story. The idea is good, the story is good, but they never meld. The requirements for invisibility are so specific that in order to find a suitable candidate, the executor must be a malevolent genius albino. Despite this improbability, the story could work, but Wells is much more interested in furthering his plot than in character development. The genius combined with the evil stupidities of his invisible man make the story almost laughable at points when it most wishes to horrify. One brief example is the dramatic moment when the invisible man succeeds in achieving invisibility. Despite the fact that he is a brilliant scientist, the man works the change during January in England. In order to be successful, the man has to be nude. As one may imagine, many inconveniences that help the plot ensue. There is no human nature to be found in this book, and for that reason, I quickly became bored. I love Wells' original ideas, but I find his execution heavy handed.

My Potty Book For Boys
My Potty Book For Boys
by Dorling Kindersley
Edition: Board book
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay book, but not great., July 13 2001
My son does love this book, but as far as its purpose goes, it falls far short of expectations. There is almost no focus on the purpose of a potty at all. I had hoped that the photographs would be helpful, but they are very cute, posed, and lack the body parts involved in the actual process of using the toilet. There is only one page that even mentions the prohibited bodily functions. I don't enjoy the choice of wording, and it feels like a cheap attempt by a publishing company to get a book out of as few pictures and words as possible. Inexpensive to make, yes, but helpful to toilet-training parents? An emphatic no.

The Baby Sister
The Baby Sister
by Tomie dePaola
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my son's favorites!, June 6 2001
This review is from: The Baby Sister (Hardcover)
My two-year-old absolutely loves this book. Unlike most of the other good books for expectant siblings, this book doesn't discuss any abivalent feelings concerning a new baby. While this could be a detriment in another book, here it seems beautifully appropriate. The autobiographical main character, Tommy, wants a baby sister more than anything else, and the happy ending comes when he gets his wish and meets his little sister. This is a beautifully simple and charming story with lovely, gentle pictures. I know that this book helped us to announce our pregnancy to my son. Even though he has other books on this topic, 'The Baby Sister' is his favorite, with 'Julius, the Baby of the World' taking a close second.

How To Travel With Salmon & Other Essays
How To Travel With Salmon & Other Essays
by Umberto Eco
Price: CDN$ 14.44
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Unobscure Eco, Feb. 14 2001
Umberto Eco's books are wonderful, but they often ignore the playful side of Eco's personality. Besides being a master of semiotics and trivia, Eco is also a talented humorist, and these essays, taken mostly from his column in an Italian magazine, reveal just that. The essays remind me of Woody Allen's 'Without Feathers', although I think I enjoyed Eco more. With observations on everything from fame to politics to minor personal inconvenience, a wealth of human wit and thought is compounded here in one slim volume. I personally have enjoyed other books of his more, but these essays reveal a side of Eco that his novels don't hide, but do tend to play down.

Penguin Classics Age Of Bede
Penguin Classics Age Of Bede
by J F Webb
Price: CDN$ 13.36
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Bede's Church, Feb. 14 2001
St. Bede is mostly known for his history of the Church in England, but his Life of Cuthbert is a wonderful read. The language is simple and eloquent, and the translation is excellent. Medieval logic can seem overly simplistic to the modern mind, but Bede is straightforward and concise. In contrast, Eddius' Life of Wilfred seems downright wily. Perhaps this makes it all the more enjoyable, as we discern the writer's own agenda. Trying to find the personalities behind the facts and misrepresentations makes for one of the most enjoyable medieval texts I've read in a while.

Page: 1 | 2