Profile for Jonathan Davies > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Davies

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jonathan Davies (Ottawa, ON, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Changing Suburbs: Foundation, Form and Function
Changing Suburbs: Foundation, Form and Function
by Richard Harris
Price: CDN$ 179.43
12 used & new from CDN$ 172.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Of Great Interest to Anybody Interested in Suburbia in all of the Top 4 English-speaking Nations, Sept. 14 2007
This book is of great interest to anyone who is interested in the history and current trends of suburbia in all of the top 4 English-speaking nations (i.e. the U.S., the U.K., Canada, and Australia).

I was especially interested in the one chapter about post-war suburban development in Australia, because I am interested in how Australia's suburbia compares with that of North America (the U.S. and Canada). This is the first book I have found so far that has detalied information on the history and current trends of Australia's suburbia. From what I have read in this book, it doesn't sound as if Australia's suburbia is very different from that of Canada.

I was a little surprised by the fact that the one chapter about Australia's post-war suburbia doesn't give any explanation for why the suburbs of Australia's major cities are served by more extensive networks of commuter rail service than the suburbs of comparably sized Canadian cities. I would never know that from what I read in this book, but I happen to know that from other sources. Knowing from this book that Australia's suburbs are just as spread out as those of Canada, I am surprised that they have more extensive networks of commuter rail service! I know that European cities have more extensive networks of commuter rail service (than Canada) too, but they are also more densely populated and less spread out than those of Canada or Australia.

Incorporating Social Goals In The Classroom
Incorporating Social Goals In The Classroom
by Rebecca A. Moyes
Price: CDN$ 27.07
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and positive, June 22 2007
Although I haven't purchased a copy of this book, a read a copy that I borrowed from a library, and I find it very useful and positive.

As a middle-aged adult with Asperger's Syndrome, I know how useful and helpful a book like this would have been if one had existed when I was in elementary school, as well as if the social training programs that this book's author recommends had existed back then. I was in special ed classes from the ages of 6 to 14, and although they were very helpful in giving me every chance to achieve academically, they did not give me the social skills training that I needed. On a positive note, the peers I had in the special ed classes I was in were also quite advanced intellectually (or at least average intellectually), and this, as well as the work my teachers had me doing, helped me to mature intellectually more than I would have if I had been put in with kids who were much more limited intellectually. I was put in with those who had behaviour problems, and also those who probably had A.D.D. and A.D.H.D., as well as with others with A.S., and all of them were fairly advanced (or at least average) intellectually. One problem, however, was that they did not give me the social skills training that I needed, and, unfortuantely, I still didn't have the social skills that I needed even after graduating from a regular high school. I might add that my elementary school years were from 1965 to 1973.

Suburban Form: An International Perspective
Suburban Form: An International Perspective
by Brenda Case Scheer
Price: CDN$ 77.00
7 used & new from CDN$ 68.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Of Great Interest to Those who want to know about Suburbs Around the World, June 13 2007
This book is of great interest to anybody who wants to know about suburbs around the world, and/or wants to know how suburbs in various countries around the world compare with those of the U.S.

Of all the books that there are about suburbs, most focus exclusively on those of the U.S. This one is the first English-language book I have found so far that says anything about either the history or the current trends of suburbs in Quebec City. Ironically, even "The New City", by John Lorinc, which is one of the few Canadian books about cities and suburbs, doesn't say a thing about the suburbs of Quebec City (that book gives detailed information about the suburbs of Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, and even Ottawa and Montreal, but not those of Quebec City). You would never know that Quebec City has typical North American sprawling suburbs when you are in the old part of that city, nor would you ever know it from very many books about suburbs. However, I know it from looking at maps of Quebec City, and from being in some of them (e.g. Sainte-Foy). I am very interested in how the suburbia trend in French-Canadian communities compares with those in American and English-Canadian communities. Unfortunately, information on them is very hard to find!

Heat: How to Stop the Planet from Burning
Heat: How to Stop the Planet from Burning
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very balanced and realistic, June 6 2007
Although I haven't purchased a copy of this book, I have read a copy that I have borrowed from a library, and I find it very balanced and realistic. On one hand, this book's author doesn't say anything that sounds "too good to be true", and he acknowleges the fact that we will have to make sacrifices in order to save our planet, but on the other hand, he gives us reasons for hope that at least we can save our planet without having to become very poor or live very miserable or uncomfortable lives. I really like all books that offer solutions to major problems and/or better alternatives to the status quo, and more specifically, ones that are realistic and achievable, rather than "too good to be true"!

How to Find Work that Works for People with Asperger Syndrome
How to Find Work that Works for People with Asperger Syndrome
by Gail Hawkins
Price: CDN$ 28.45
28 used & new from CDN$ 18.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Very positive and encouraging!, June 6 2007
I found this book very positive and encouraging! After I read this book, I was very pleased to see that there is somebody out there who realizes that people with Asperger's Syndrome are capable of learning the skills they need to become successful members of society, if they are given all the help that they need. I wish that there were a lot more people who realized this! I hope that there will be in the not-too-distant future!

It's A Sprawl World After All
It's A Sprawl World After All
by Douglas E Morris
Price: CDN$ 17.56
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and informative, June 2 2007
When I read this book, I found it very interesting and informative. I was interested to learn about how and why sprawl came about in the first place, as well as how it has affected people's lives and our society generally, and the solutions to it. I really like books that offer solutions to major problems and/or better alternatives to the status quo!

It is interesting that sprawl is a major contributor to the high crime rate in the U.S.! According to this book's author, suburban sprawl and crime are worse in the U.S. than in Canada. Sprawl and crime may not be as bad in Canada as they are in the U.S., but even in Canada, both of those things are bad enough!

BANLIEUE REVISITÉE (LA)
BANLIEUE REVISITÉE (LA)
by ANDRÉE FORTIN
Price: CDN$ 23.36
4 used & new from CDN$ 23.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting information about Quebec City's suburbs, May 31 2007
Although I have not purchased this book, I have read a copy that I borrowed from a library.

Of all the books that I have read that are about cities and/or suburbs, this is the only one I have found so far that says anything about the suburbs of Quebec City. I know that Quebec City has sprawling suburbs similar to those of most other North American cities, but you would never know it when you are in the old part of the city! I know it from looking at maps of Quebec City's metropolitan area, and from actually seeing some of Quebec City's suburbs (e.g. Sainte-Foy).

Although I don't understand French very well, when I read this book, I understood enough of what is said in it to learn that Quebec City's suburbs started to spring up in the 1950s, which was also when suburbs started springing up in most other North American cities. I was surprised, knowing that the Quiet Revolution didn't start until 1960! Until I read this book, I thought that until the Quiet Revolution started in 1960, French-Canadians had continued to build only their own traditional style of communities, rather than catch on to any trends that were set by Americans or English-Canadians.

It is very interesting to find out how the history of suburbia in Quebec City and other places that are almost entirely French-Canadian demographically, compares with the history of suburbia in American cities and English-Canadian cities (e.g. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary)!

Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
by Lynn Kern Koegel PhD
Price: CDN$ 14.80
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very positive and encouraging!, May 31 2007

While the author of this book doesn't guarantee that autistic kids will improve suddenly as soon as their cargivers start giving them the help they need, she talks about how much they can progress eventually if their caregivers give them all the help they need. I really like books that tell us about how much autistic people can progress eventually if they are given every chance to progress as much as they can, and that also give examples of those who have made great progress already, as a result of being given every chance to progress as much as they can. In fact, I really like all books that offer solutions to major problems and/or better alternatives to the status quo!

Passenger Rail: The Transportation Alternative
Passenger Rail: The Transportation Alternative
by Walton W. Loevy
Price: CDN$ 31.04
5 used & new from CDN$ 22.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, May 30 2007
The suggestions and solutions offered in this book are very practical. I really like books that offer solutions to problems we face and/or better alternatives to the status quo.

Superbia!
Superbia!
by Dan Chiras
Price: CDN$ 19.96
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, May 28 2007
This review is from: Superbia! (Paperback)
Although I haven't purchased this book, I have read a copy that I borrowed from a library.

This is a very practical book. It is nice to know that there is a way in which suburbanites can become less car-dependent, and that you don't have to live in a city's downtown care to become less car-dependent! I also like the idea of suburbs becoming more like traditional towns surrounding each big city. If suburbs were like traditional towns, they would be much more pleasant and more interesting places to live in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5