Profile for betsyapudliner > Reviews

Content by betsyapudliner

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"betsyapudliner"

The Dark Highlander
The Dark Highlander
by Karen Marie Moning
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Temptation, Oct. 4 2002
My sister has a nasty habit. When contemplating buying a book she reads a few of the first couple of pages, turns to the middle and then goes to the end. I stare dumstruck at her half the time wondering, do you go to a movie only to see the first few scenes, go out for a drink and popcorn, come back, go out again and then the end. Whats the fun? After completing Kiss of the Highlander, I read the letter striking and it struck very deep cord of emotion. Perhaps it is the fact that we are all haunted by demons. When the book arrived this morning, I dived right in and soon finished it. Throughout the adventure I had to force myself not to turn to the last page. Whatever you do savor every page, do not be tempted to turn to the end.
I live in Scotland now and Ms. Moning captures the emotions of her characters perfectly, gritty and sizzling. One thing though she is perhaps the closest to come to describing the scenery but you have to be here to really understand. One suggestion cozy up to a warm fire, within reach of a good 25 year old single malt that has a touch of peat, citrus and spice. Add a pinch of soft highland or Irish pipe music and you have the perfect setting in which to devour this tale.

Atlantis Found A Dirk Pitt Adventure
Atlantis Found A Dirk Pitt Adventure
by Clive Cussler
56 used & new from CDN$ 1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to delight..., July 11 2001
Since 1979, I have eagerly awaited every new Clive Cussler book... I give credit to Cussler and to Pitt for instilling in me the desire to be a researcher and academic, to search out the answers to everyday mysteries....I read Atlantis Found over a 24-hour period last summer after I finished my Master's thesis.... Dirk Pitt. Okay, so he's getting up there in age. The character is in his late 40's (I checked some sources, birthdate is 1952) but Cussler never fails to give us the one-two-three punch. I read the excerpt of Atlantis in Dirk Pitt Revealed and couldn't wait. Cussler masterful prose at creating the scene of the birth and death of the mythical island is spellbinding. Putting scenes and action aside, I feel that this is the best character development novel for Cussler and Pitt to-date. He has set the stage for his next novel. I cried at the end of this novel because I could see it coming. I lanquish at reading the next for fear of what it might contain and yet, I'm itching to tell my parents to bring me a copy of it with them when they visit in September. For me Dirk Pitt is ageless and thank heavens he is a character on a piece of paper I can go back to time and time again.
If anything, if this is your first visit to Clive Cussler's world, read this to tempt you back to his other books. And set you up for Vahalla Rising.

RAISE THE TITANIC
RAISE THE TITANIC
by Clive Cussler
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
68 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagination...it is all in the imagination, July 11 2001
I don't understand the bad reviews. This was the first book I read of Cusslers back in the late 70's (79?). I had picked it up in the book store because I had just finished composing an extensive paper on the Titantic for school and when I read the back cover, was intrigued. Okay here is the dirt Cussler did his homework; it is evident if you read between the lines. Cussler uses the what if scenario and his method works. He weaves a fantastic tail of intrigue, dirty politics and fantastic science. The best scene that still plays through my mind even to this day is Dirk Pitt roaming the ship after it has risen to the surface and then raises the White Star pennant. After constructing my own paper, reading all the evidence I could find, looking over blueprints, etc., Mr. Cussler bought what was on paper to life for me. So, simply for a good read put aside the facts about the Titantic that we knew before this book came out (and after) and simply enjoy the thrilling ride that is the Cussler writing. Cussler gives his characters an edge not found in any other adventure series that I have read. Not Clancy, not Crichton, no one. It is total escapism at its best.