Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 211

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Gospel of Matthew, The
Gospel of Matthew, The
by Edward Sri
Price: CDN$ 18.17
30 used & new from CDN$ 11.67

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit simplistic, June 28 2015
This review is from: Gospel of Matthew, The (Paperback)
I don't know...I would love to give this five stars, but I think four is fair. I felt that the author offered simplistic explanations after each gospel passage. The author basically repeated in his own words what the gospel just said, rarely was any new insight given. But given that, I think this book would be good for beginners (maybe that was the author's target market?), or for those who do not want to get too "heavy" into Scripture. All in all, I enjoyed the light read into Scriptures, and I did learn from it, and the author did apply the Scripture to Catholic doctrine, which was helpful.

Soul Keeping: Caring For The Most Important Part Of You
Soul Keeping: Caring For The Most Important Part Of You
by John Ortberg
Price: CDN$ 11.54
19 used & new from CDN$ 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought that perhaps this book - though incredibly entertaining - might be a waste of my time, June 16 2015
When I was reading the first couple of chapters (most of Part 1), I thought that perhaps this book - though incredibly entertaining - might be a waste of my time. John Ortberg's writing style is easy to comprehend and humorous, however, I thought maybe this book would be all fluff. So I put it down for awhile. Recently, I picked it up again and began to continue to read where I left off. I am glad I did. I read the rest in a couple of days. This book touched me deeply. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about John's experiences with Dallas and Dallas' incredible wisdom. One of Dallas Willard's quotes in the book that stood out for me was "you must arrange your days so that you are experiencing deep contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday life with God". So true, so beautifully said. Also, this book did not contain fluff. There were many times in the book where I felt remorse as I came face to face with some of the typical things I do that can lead me away from God and wound my soul. It was also a comfort, that I discovered most people struggle with the same sins I do. Part 2: What the Soul Needs is definitely the meatiness part of the book, and it's really important for the soul. The soul needs to be with God. Part 3: The Soul Restored was so moving, I cried at certain parts.

Into the Silent Land: A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation
Into the Silent Land: A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation
by Martin Laird
Price: CDN$ 15.27
41 used & new from CDN$ 8.21

5.0 out of 5 stars can deepen anyone's practice, from beginner to advanced, June 6 2015
There are numerous intelligently thorough reviews for this little gem on here. I don't think I have really anything new to add. I homeschool three children, I have two young dogs, and a chatty husband. So I know I need more silence. From my limited experience, it's in the silence that I nourish my relationship with God. Contemplative prayer is just one way a Christian can find that silence. The wonderful news is there are many ways to grow your relationship with God: vocal prayer, mental prayer, imaginative prayer (Ignatius), reading Scripture (Lectio Divina), as well as, contemplative (meditation in silence) prayer. But with all of those, I notice, it's during the quiet times of prayer when your conversation with God deepens. Martin Laird's little guide goes through the process of contemplative prayer: the prayer word, body position, distractions, etc. But what I found the most helpful was reading the second half of the book, where Laird gives guidance on practicing with afflictions, dealing with the wounds of sin, temptations, definitions on humility, and looking at our failures as focal points of growth.

Jesus with Us: The Gift of the Eucharist
Jesus with Us: The Gift of the Eucharist
by Antonio Tarzia
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids and I have enjoyed reading this book, June 4 2015
My kids and I have enjoyed reading this book. The pictures are so beautiful. The history of the Eucharist was fun to learn about in this format.

Talking With God
Talking With God
by Francois Fenelon
Price: CDN$ 16.50
12 used & new from CDN$ 12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the chapters have been so powerful I feel like been grown spiritually from reading them, June 4 2015
This review is from: Talking With God (Paperback)
This book is full of immense amounts of wisdom. The chapters are small, 1-3 pages long, so I take this little book to Mass and read one before Mass starts. Some of the chapters have been so powerful I feel like been grown spiritually from reading them. I often have "aha" moments. Amazing piece of work. Highly recommend!

Renovation Of The Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ
Renovation Of The Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ
by Dallas Willard
Price: CDN$ 15.19
28 used & new from CDN$ 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favourite books on Christianity, June 4 2015
This is one of my favourite books on Christianity. Full of Biblical points to look up in your Bible and slowly digest. Full of intelligent and inspirational wisdom to help each Christian on their individual journey towards the Kingdom of God. I found Renovation of the Heart an easier read then a few of his other books (The Spirit of Disciplines and Hearing God), also with this book the way its laid out it has small bit size points (1-2 pages) you could quickly read (and re-read) and then put down through out the day.

The Spirit of the Disciplines
The Spirit of the Disciplines
by Dallas Willard
Price: CDN$ 14.72
40 used & new from CDN$ 5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars I love reading Dallas Willard's work, June 4 2015
I love reading Dallas Willard's work. For me, his words hit home and I truly feel moved. He is gentle, intelligent, and writes how to become the disciple Jesus is calling all Christians to be. I have read several of Dallas' book, this one got a bit dry at places, but I still read it all, as I didn't want to miss anything Dallas had to say. I found Renovation of the Heart an easier read, also with that book the way its laid out it has small bit size points (1-2 pages) you could quickly read (and re-read) and then put down through out the day.

House That You're Building, The
House That You're Building, The
Price: CDN$ 14.74
38 used & new from CDN$ 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Audrey's songs are better because they are about the Catholic Faith, June 4 2015
Audrey's voice reminds me of Sarah McLachlan's voice. Audrey's songs are better because they are about the Catholic Faith. So inspiring. So moving. My kids (ages 8-12) and I love listening to her songs. The piano and other instruments add such richness and beauty to her voice. Highly recommend!

Nrsv Go-Anywhere Bible Ce (Red)
Nrsv Go-Anywhere Bible Ce (Red)
by Harper Bibles
Edition: Imitation Leather
Price: CDN$ 36.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 17.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully printed Bible, June 4 2015
Beautifully printed Bible. Font size is readable (any smaller and it would have been too hard to read). Great size to cart around everywhere. Harpers Bibles makes great quality Bibles. Highly recommend!

Saints and Sinners
Saints and Sinners
Price: CDN$ 12.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids (between ages 8-12) and I absolutely love this album, June 4 2015
This review is from: Saints and Sinners (Audio CD)
My kids (between ages 8-12) and I absolutely love this album. The songs are beautifully written and music is incredibly well done. Every song is amazing. And uplifting. Highly recommend!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12