Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 186

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Culture Clash: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding the Relationship Between Humans and Domestic Dogs
by Jean Donaldson
Price: CDN$ 19.70
25 used & new from CDN$ 10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, May 19 2014
This book is BRILLIANT! I have read my share of dog training books and have gone to several dog training classes with different training styles, and my personal opinion is that Jean Donaldson is a genius. In her other book, "Train Your Dog Like a Pro" (comes with a 2.5hr training video), I was able to train my Golden Retriever puppy rock solid sits, downs, stays, recalls. Her method works. Before reading "The Culture Clash", I was missing information, like not fully understanding why my dog does certain behaviours and what my dogs needs to succeed as a confident and obedient dog. The Culture Clash has it all: how dogs learn, the natural behaviours of dogs, socialization importance, dog behaviour issues, and lastly amazing instructions on how to train for obedience.
This one was a tough read at first. When I first picked it up to excitedly devour "The Culture Clash", I was hugely disappointed. She does use college-level words and her advice is mixed in everywhere, so you have to read her wisdom while getting bits of training tips here and there. I was hoping for clear organization of the book, which this doesn't have, but I soon came to realize, the wisdom is on every single page of the book so I needed to read this first as a novel: front to back (no skipping ahead!). And then tape-flag the training bits and go back to them when I needed to apply the training advice.
If you have a dog, or planning on it, please read this one. It's the intelligent way to train, without physical punishment or aversive force.

The Culture Clash
The Culture Clash
by Jean Donaldson
31 used & new from CDN$ 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, May 19 2014
This review is from: The Culture Clash (Paperback)

Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
by Emma Parsons
Price: CDN$ 16.62
34 used & new from CDN$ 10.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, April 27 2014
I have read many dog training books over the last year. When we adopted a puppy, I was worried I would make a mistake so I started reading everything I could about training. I am sure I have made a lot of mistakes along the way! Our puppy is now one and has been socialized to everything and everyone. But he can be "bossy" at times, to dogs and to some people, like men who have rough housed with him (my dog loves it). So I read this book to see if I could prevent any further bossiness or it turning into aggression. I absolutely love Emma Parson simple but effective suggestions and have applied them with great success. This book is clear and to the point. He is rarely bossy (he used to demand attention from my husband by barking at him) and listens very well to instructions from all family members. I have tried many different training methods along the way with my previous dogs: Caser's methods, with treats, without treats with more physical force , etc, and I have found that my golden responds the best with clicker training. It's a highly intelligent way to train dogs, and, from my experience, highly effective if done properly. But I know every dog is different, and the training needs to be adapted to each individual dog.

Clicking with Your Dog: Step-By-Step in Pictures
Clicking with Your Dog: Step-By-Step in Pictures
by Peggy Tillman
Price: CDN$ 16.62
35 used & new from CDN$ 14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Super clear and easy to grasp, April 20 2014
I have had this book for over a year, when I adopted my Golden puppy. I did some clicker training with him, as well as, went to a clicker training class. But I found clicker training confusing sometimes, and I didn't understand the benefits and "rules" clearly. I have just finished rereading this book and have had a lot of "aha" moments. I wish I had tried a bit harder to figure it out, because I am now applying these exercises with amazing results. I have been lucky my Golden often helps me out and meets me halfway when we train together. Thankfully, with my better understanding, I hope I will not confuse myself and my new addition to the family: a Brittany puppy. This is a great beginning book! Super clear and easy to grasp!

The Nativity
The Nativity
by Ruth Sanderson
Price: CDN$ 11.91
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, March 27 2014
This review is from: The Nativity (Hardcover)
My children and I love this book. We love the work of Ruth Sanderson and her story and art of the Nativity is lovely. Highly Recommend!

Best Day
Best Day
Price: CDN$ 17.14
15 used & new from CDN$ 10.27

5.0 out of 5 stars So lovely!, March 27 2014
This review is from: Best Day (Audio CD)
I have all the Dala CDs. And I do love them all, but this one is by far their best work. My children and I listen to it all the time. For such young girls, their lyrics are so profound and are deep with meaning. Filled with wisdom. What I also love with their music is that its wholesome and full of depth, so I am comfortable with my three children: 11, 9, 7 to listen.

Kingdom Of God Is Like
Kingdom Of God Is Like
by Keating Thomas
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this little treasure!, March 27 2014
This review is from: Kingdom Of God Is Like (Hardcover)
I find the writings of Thomas Keating to really speak to me, right to my heart. The little chapters in this book allows me to read one a day and really contemplate the parable. Father Thomas, as always, seems to get right to the heart of the teaching. Such beauty. Thank you!

Psalms For Young Children
Psalms For Young Children
by Delval Marie-Hélène" "Delval Marie-Hélène"
Price: CDN$ 13.36
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro!, March 27 2014
I find the psalms a bit tricky for me to explore with my children, as I feel some of the wording harsh and of the concepts difficult to understand. The short snippets in Psalms For Young Children of some of the psalms has been perfect to begin to explore the rich poetry of the psalms. Another helpful book I found has been wonderful is Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness by Nan Merrill. She has reworded the psalms in positive phases. My 11 yr old and 9 yr old can now hear the psalms in a new way: a beautiful, heart opening way. Psalms for Praying is still too much for my 7 yr old to understand so Psalms for Young Children is perfect for her.

Tapestries: Stories of Women in the Bible
Tapestries: Stories of Women in the Bible
by Ruth Sanderson
10 used & new from CDN$ 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful!, March 27 2014
My children and I have been enjoying this book immensely. We love Ruth Sanderson's work, as we have several of her children's books. This book offers one page stories of the women of the bible. It's been fun exploring the bible with this companion.

What We Do in Lent
What We Do in Lent
by Anne E. Kitch
Price: CDN$ 10.92
27 used & new from CDN$ 3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro and activities to learn about lent, March 27 2014
This review is from: What We Do in Lent (Hardcover)
This has been a great guide for my children's journey through lent. We like reading the one line scripture readings on each page, plus the worksheets to explore the stories and ideas of the lenten season within the Anglican faith. There have been a few typos which is why I only give this 4-stars. For example, the word search spelt "temptation" incorrectly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11