march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Kitchen Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family
Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 407

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (BC)

by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Price: CDN$ 17.88
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could rate this a 10, it's so good!, Jan. 9 2009
Everyday Blessings is so moving, so inspiring, and to read it provides such essential healing, for parents and, as a result, hopefully for children.

It speaks about things I think most new parents intuitively feel when they become a parent, and yet...society has parenting so backwards at times.

Basically the premise of the book is to inspire parents to live their life mindfully (to practice mindfulness, which is the practice of living moment-to-moment), and in doing so, brings awareness to their life, that perhaps the parent was living on "autopilot" until beginning their practice of mindfulness. What's the problem with living on "autopilot"? Well...so many things. But, if I may tackle this question, with-in the realm of parenting after just finishing reading this book: if a parent lives on autopilot, they usually repeat old habits and patterns from their parents, and for a large part, from society "norms" of the time.

Living on autopilot means missing out on life and your children's lives. And perhaps, without meaning to, being cold and distant to your children, which seems like nothing, but it really is something, as, if you look into your own memories of childhood I'm sure you'd find a child who perhaps felt misunderstood, or lonely, or...________ (fill in blank).

Perhaps to live with a bit more awareness we can truly see our children, with-out our own expectations forced on them; perhaps with a bit more awareness we can truly see what our children really need (usually lots of love and attention), with-out just thinking of ourselves and putting our own needs first; perhaps with a bit more awareness we can ride the wild ride of parenting, knowing when to change to suit the needs of each individual child.

This book is full of so much wisdom, it's a amazing journey that I highly recommend to anyone open enough to digest what the authors are saying.

Jon Kabat-Zinn is very well-known as the founder of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), and has several other extremely popular books on the benefits of practicing mindfulness. Jon and Myla are the parents of three - now grown - children. When this book was written, in the early 90s, their children were teenagers.

Seven-Year-Old Wonder-Book(paper)
Seven-Year-Old Wonder-Book(paper)
by Isabel Wyatt
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Jan. 7 2009
This "waldorf" chapter book is a rare gem. Full of magical delight for my six yr old son. Jam packed with highly imaginative fairy tales that highlight important festivals and holidays throughout Sylvia's (the main character) sixth year.

My six yr old and four yr old immensely enjoyed the first half of this book. But somehow the book didn't capture their attention with that same intenseness during the latter half. Hard to pinpoint as to why.

And though I did thoroughly enjoy The Seven-Year-Old Wonder Book by Isabel Wyatt (who was a Waldorf/Steiner teacher in England), I do have two complaints. Firstly, because the story is marking (anthroposophical) developmental steps for a six yr old's full year, my son often compared himself to the main character, and often wondered why those "magical" events aren't/weren't happening to him (for example, when Sylvia lost her first tooth she was visited by three fairies and went on a magical quest for her "first-tooth" gifts). It was tough to explain that this is just a story as at this age he believes everything he sees and hears. Secondly, this book has a strong "anthroposophical Christian" undertone. The descriptions of the festivals are heavily Christian (and for that matter heavily Anthroposophical).

I do plan to read this book again when my eldest daughter turns six. I do think this book is highly valuable for enriching their young imaginations in a very positive way. And from what I've researched about Anthroposophy thus far, it's pretty interesting, and harmless.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Jan. 6 2009
Jillian Michaels is a popular trainer from The Biggest Loser TV show. While I don't watch the show, I read a bunch of Amazon reviews for this DVD and so, it looked like a winner. And I wasn't disappointed!

The DVD consists of three circuit training workouts, each equaling 20min in length. Each circuit is 6min long; 3min of strength, 2min of cardio, and 1min of abs. There are three levels, from easier (but not easy) to hard, and yep, I found level 3 to be really intense. What I really like about this DVD, are her cues on good form, her safe and controlled exercises, and her very unique take on basic strength and cardio moves. A lot of her cardio are fun polymeric moves, which of course, helps keep the heart rate up and gets it up there FAST.

For me, it's so tough to get to a gym, so it's nice to have a DVD like this to introduce new moves, and definitely for motivation to workout hard. Highly recommend this one!

In Search of the Thunder Dragon
In Search of the Thunder Dragon
by Sophie Shrestha
Price: CDN$ 23.95
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Jan. 6 2009
My kids and I love this book. The illustrations are so vivid and beautiful. The story is the perfect length - not too short but not too long - and reads very well aloud. The beginning of the story starts off with a young girl visiting her extended family in Bhutan (which is in between Tibet and India, I believe). The excitement builds slowly as the girl and her cousin start looking for the mysterious Thunder Dragons. They eventually find the dragons and have a wonderful adventure. My six yr old son loves it!

This book is so enchanting and definitely captures the audiences' attention. It's a great addition to any Buddhist family's library. Great Buddhist books for children are hard to find. But you don't have to be a Buddhist to enjoy this book. It's simply a great book to introduce young children to the rich history and traditions of the Bhutan culture.

Sleepy Little Yoga: A Toddler's Sleepy Book of Yoga
Sleepy Little Yoga: A Toddler's Sleepy Book of Yoga
by Rebecca Whitford
Price: CDN$ 16.69
24 used & new from CDN$ 7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Bonding Time, Jan. 2 2009
With my 2.5yr old I love going through the Little Yoga books, by Rebecca Whitford. It is definitely one of my favourite times in the day. There are 7 poses in the book; first with colourful double-page illustrated pictures of the poses with some text, and then at the end of the book, it shows the poses again, this time as photographs of toddlers performing the poses. My toddler watches me demo the pose and then tries it herself. It's fun and highly enjoyable!

Little Yoga: A Toddler's First Book of Yoga

The Wisdom of the Crows and Other Buddhist Tales
by Tricycle Press
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend!, Jan. 2 2009
My four-yr-old and six-yr-old love The Wisdom of the Crows by Sherab Chodzin and Alexandra Kohn. It is definitely one of our favourites. As a practicing Buddhist I am always on the lookout of good Buddhist tales to share with my children. The thirteen stories come in varying lengths, some are one page while others are five to six pages, with lovely illustrations. I'm guessing the suggested age range would be six to twelve, however, if your younger-than-six child can sit through the longer stories, like my four-yr-old, I still recommend this book. Also, the book contains many shorter stories for the younger child. I don't think young children need to "get" the moral of each story at such a young age, if read enough they will remember the teachings in their later years. And I have read that it is unnecessary to explain the moral, they will know it in time. This book is full of amazingly colourful traditional Buddhist tales, I highly recommend.

YogaKids: Educating The Whole Child Through Yoga
YogaKids: Educating The Whole Child Through Yoga
by Marsha Wenig
Price: CDN$ 20.01
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, Jan. 2 2009
The YogaKids book, by Marsha Wenig, is a great resource with over 50 poses for children. Great addition for newbies, but also for season yogis as well, just for the wealth of fun poses children (ages 3-12) will love.

Teaching Yoga to Children Through Story
Teaching Yoga to Children Through Story
by Sydney Solis
Price: CDN$ 25.05
27 used & new from CDN$ 15.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Out There, Jan. 2 2009
The two books, Storytime Yoga and The Treasure in Your Heart, both by Sydney Solis, are new additions to our yoga collection. These two books are by far the best out there IMO. Especially if you are looking for enriching, life-affirming, confidence-boosting, and unique yoga practice ideas for preschoolers to age 12. With-in their pages, there may be not be enough information for the newbie-to-yoga parent/teacher, but it's perfect for the seasoned yoga teacher/parent wanting something with more "substance" with just going through the poses. The premise is teaching the yoga postures while presenting a story before and during practicing the poses. Also, the second book, The Treasure in Your Heart, goes through meditation, yoga nidra, visualizations, and techniques for teaching yoga philosophy to children. Both books are full of amazing stories with suggested corresponding postures, I highly recommend getting both.

The Treasure in Your Heart: Yoga and Stories for Peaceful Children