Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 230

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Zen Shorts
Zen Shorts
by Jon J Muth
Price: CDN$ 14.87
48 used & new from CDN$ 1.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 27 2008
This review is from: Zen Shorts (Hardcover)
I just love this book!

Zen Shorts is such a positive, engaging story for young children. And thought provoking too, as my oldest (whose five) asks many questions about the morals in the stories (there are several). The illustrations are beautiful, the story is unique, and it's a wonderful inspiring read for young minds.

You are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
by Rahima Baldwin
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend For Every Parent of Young Children, June 27 2008
What this book helps with is seeing children differently...through their various developments, so you can help guide them - at the right times - and to avoid frustrations, because you can now see what your children are or aren't capable of, depending which development stage they are currently at.

Baldwin Dancy recommends having "rhythms" (loosely based schedule) to your day to avoid a lot of the chaos and confrontations, because your children will know what's happening next. It was interesting to read that most children under six don't have the focus/concentration to sit for long periods of time (like my children). And that children do best learning through play.

This book explains why it's beneficial to avoid television,video games, and computers. Plus ways to provide the right natural imaginative toys for learning and growing developmentally.

Baldwin Dancy even explains why a stay-at-home parent is so tired at the end of the day and how it's so important to take care of yourself.

Some main-stream parents might find this read a little too "hooky" and "new-agey". So all I ask is you keep an open mind, as your children will benefit immensely. I'm not sure I agree with all the "stressed" importance of some of Steiner's writings on childhood education as I am still not convinced I shouldn't teach my son to read until his adult teeth come in or the importance of colour therapy. But I now have some absolutely amazing tools I can take from such an unbelievable rich style of raising and teaching your children.

Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
by Sarah Napthali
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Every New Mother, June 16 2008
I highly recommend that every mother read Buddhism for Mothers, even if you do not practice Buddhism. Bringing the insightful 2500 yr old teachings of the Buddha and blending them into practical advice for mothers of young children is so necessary for every parent to read and implement.

The author Sarah Napthali (from Australia) is so real and easy to identify with. Several years ago, I tried reading a different parenting buddhism book and felt the author was way to "perfect" to relate to and put it down half read.

Each chapter of Buddhism for Mothers deals with an area to work on (dealing with anger, finding calm, parenting mindfully) and offers ways to evolve to a more mindful loving parent.

I also thoroughly enjoyed "Creating Loving Relationships" and "Living With Partners". Packed with many helpful tips to create connections in a real and honest way, something our society is seriously lacking.

I think my favourite chapter was "Finding Happiness". Being a mother is absolutely wonderful, however, if all of us mothers were honest we can say that mothering is hugely challenging and lonely and selfless and occasionally stressful, having a positive outlook and changing your "delusion" or "perception" of your reality is absolutely necessary to create a sense of calm peacefulness, which I think every one needs. In Buddhism for Mothers, Napthali gives you the starting tools to create your new mindful path.

Each Breath a Smile
Each Breath a Smile
by Sister Susan
Price: CDN$ 10.79
35 used & new from CDN$ 4.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A great beginning book for teaching mindfulness to young children, June 9 2008
This review is from: Each Breath a Smile (Paperback)
I read Each Breathe a Smile by Sister Susan before every KidsYoga session (so two times a week) and I think it's definitely a great beginning book on mindfulness and conscious breathing for very young children. My five-yr-old and my three-yr-old definitely take the soothing words seriously and, for the most part, they breathe deeply when the story says to. I do find the story a little too long for my young children, they do get a tad squirmy near the end of the book. There aren't a lot of words per se, however, with all the breathing-in and breathing-out we do through-out the book, it takes a little while to finish it. I don't think it's a really big deal, as we practice I'm sure they will get less restless. The colourful pictures are so beautiful!

The Sun in My Belly
The Sun in My Belly
by Sister Susan
10 used & new from CDN$ 34.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a lovely book for young children, June 9 2008
This review is from: The Sun in My Belly (Paperback)
The Sun in My Belly by Sister Susan has such a beautiful story about two young friends who have a selfish fight and in the end realize all life is wonderfully interconnected. My five-yr-old and three-yr-old were glued to their seats listening to the engaging story. I personally love the gorgeous water-paint art that fills each page. I highly recommend this book for all young children, as this is the age to start teaching this message about how our actions can affect many things and how many things affect our actions...and to become mindful of that.

Finding the Still Point (Book and CD): A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
Finding the Still Point (Book and CD): A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
by John Daido Loori
Price: CDN$ 13.00
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starting Point, May 24 2008
I read this book start to finish last night (it's small). Though I knew most of basics from when I went to a Zen Centre a few years back, this book was a nice refresher. And I did learn a few excellent things that will help my zazen practice greatly, like the best sitting position to keep my spine straight with-out strain, plus a great way of easy counting of my breath to keep the mind from wandering. I tried both techniques during this morning's zazen, and found the results amazing. I listened to the CD today. Though short, it was nice to listen to Loori, he is very calm and informative in an informal way, which I liked. I don't think the two meditations sessions, one 10min and the other 30min, are really necessary tho, as all it does is have three gongs at the beginning and two gongs at the end, something you can do on your own. But I gather it would be helpful for some to have the exact timing for each meditation session, instead of consistently checking their clock, and perhaps for those who do not have a singing bowl or gong.

I definitely recommend this little book and CD for any beginner looking for good basic advice and motivation to start their Zen meditation practice.

Baby Buddhas: A Guide for Teaching Meditation to Children
Baby Buddhas: A Guide for Teaching Meditation to Children
by Lisa Desmond
19 used & new from CDN$ 31.83

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treasure, May 22 2008
I highly recommend this book! I was very skeptical at first as I was afraid with a name like "baby buddhas" it would be hooky, with not a lot of substance. Boy was I wrong! The author, Lisa Desmond, is very knowledgeable and passionate about her practice and her teaching meditation to pre-school children. She walks through the basics in a very easy-to-grasp-way without omitting anything you may not know. She suggests certain props, suggests what to say and when to say it, and leads you through many loving and calming meditations.

I've tried a couple meditations from the book, Adult Morning Meditation and Sunshine Meditation (for children), and both flowed beautifully. I took all her suggestions (like explaining why we sit up straight - for energy flow - my five-yearr-old son then took the straightening of the spine very seriously - to maximize his energy flow of course), which really helped. I like her prop suggestions, which to me aren't necessary, but for children who like to "feel" and "touch" seem like a great idea.

I'm going to be using this book for many years to come, I'm so happy I found this treasure. Plus, I love the glossy thick paper of each page.

Bringing the Sacred to Life: The Daily Practice of Zen Ritual
Bringing the Sacred to Life: The Daily Practice of Zen Ritual
by John Daido Loori
Price: CDN$ 20.30
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource to Help Deepen Your Practice, May 21 2008
This is a good little book (total of 120 pages), full of wisdom about the "heart" of Zen liturgy (rituals, practices). This book contains meaningful Zen chants and rituals, and goes a step further and explains in passionate detail the reasons behind them.

Not for the beginner, but I highly recommend if you are meditating already and practicing simple Buddhist practices and would like to expand and deepen your practice. I like the author's style of writing and his teachings, so much so in the near future I plan to read Finding the Still Point: A Beginner's Guide To Zen Meditation, which comes with an audio CD and perhaps Invoking Reality: Moral and Ethical Teachings of Zen.

John Daido Loori's words are more "meaty" than Thich Hnat Hanh's beautiful prose. I love Hanh's simple message, but it can be nice to sometimes introduce new teachings to keep the mind "fresh". Because of Loori's "deeper" teachings, I found his words slightly more perplexing (as Buddhist teachings tend to be).

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
by Thich Nhat Hanh
Price: CDN$ 14.08
51 used & new from CDN$ 7.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself, your family, and your community a favour and read this book, May 18 2008
Wow. What an amazing little book full of such wise words. Truthfully, I have tried to read different Buddhism-inspired books from start to finish, but this is the first one that I was able to read from front to back with ease. Thich Nhat Hanh is a gentle teacher, with simple to understand wise words gracing every page. His message is clear: people need to live mindfully, fully aware in the present to live a full, peaceful, and compassionate life. Hanh supplies much helpful advice to start your own path, your own way to begin to live with mindfulness. Conscious breathing is central to Thich Hnat Hanh's teaching. Use conscious breathing when meditating, washing dishes to driving the car to become fully present in every moment. This will bring you peace and clarity. Everything else will follow. Do yourself, family, and your community a favour, and pick up this little gem. I love it so much I bought a copy for my husband for Father's Day; I know it'll change his life as much as it has enriched mine

Science Arts
Science Arts
by MaryAnn F. Kohl
Price: CDN$ 16.16
40 used & new from CDN$ 10.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Creative, Amazing Resource For Many Years!, May 7 2008
This review is from: Science Arts (Paperback)
I recently got this book from the library and have read all the experiments, and I love how this book is jam-packed with imaginative and inventive activities that are not only great for learning, but for simple creative fun too! This book has recommended age levels, so there's a bunch of activities geared for younger preschool children (3-5+), plus a handful of more advanced activities for older 6-8+ aged children. So this book will be an amazing resource for many years. Plus, I do really like the layout of MaryAnn Kohl's art books, she explains the activities well and all have a nice hand-drawn illustration of the activity or the finished product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13