ARRAY(0xa6aeeb4c)

Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 169

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Namaste: Energy Series Vol.6 -
Namaste: Energy Series Vol.6 -

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, April 23 2008
My husband bought all of the volumes in the Namaste DVD series for my birthday last year and I love them all! I have many yoga DVDs and this series is by far my favourite. The episodes are each a manageable length (around 25min each), the flow of the postures are amazing, perfect for advanced beginners and intermediates (not for very new yogis who need more pose instruction). Plus Kate Potter's voice is so calming. And the settings? Breathtaking! Very visually stunning to say the least!
I highly recommend this series!

Namaste: River Series Vol.5 -
Namaste: River Series Vol.5 -

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best yoga DVD series I own!, April 23 2008
I highly recommend this series!

The Three R's
The Three R's
by Ruth Beechick
Price: CDN$ 11.68
37 used & new from CDN$ 4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Resource!, April 22 2008
This review is from: The Three R's (Paperback)
This is an amazing book! If you have young children in kindergarten to grade three, then you need this book! Whether you are homeschooling your child or your child is in the public school system! Dr. Ruth Beechick gives a HUGE amount of great advice on how to guide your children to learning reading, writing, and arithmetic (the three R's).

I now understand how the young mind operates and grows and how in the early years my educational guidance should be catering to their different thought processes. Beechick also gives numerous sample activities that you can easily duplicate.

It's a short book, only 120 pages, so it's a very quick read (which is important when you have limited time with three little ones at home!). It's also written very well, with only one typo I saw.

Any who, if you are interested in educationally guiding your young children, do yourself a favour and buy this book!

The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child: Your Complete Guide to Getting Off to the Right Start
by Linda Dobson
Price: CDN$ 15.88
26 used & new from CDN$ 3.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book To Calm Your Anxiety, April 20 2008
The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child is a nice, easy read where the author, Linda Dobson, complied many wonderful inspiring words of wisdom from numerous North American homeschooling families.

The book should calm down the nervousness that most parents feel when first starting their homeschooling path. I picked up so many helpful tips I will definitely utilize during my own family's homeschooling journey.

I recommend this book if you are just starting out and you are unsure of which homeschooling road to take. A few of the chapters are dedicated to explain a handful of the more popular homeschooling styles/methods. Plus, there's a great chapter on "week-in-a-life" of real homeschooling families describing their week using their method of choice. For me, I have already researched many homeschooling methods and have read various books and websites to figure out what will work best for me and my children, so this book was more of a confidence booster and a "warm hug" to say everything will be okay if I follow my instincts. Plus, this whole book is worth every penny for the substantial homeschooling resource section located in the final chapter.

One note of caution though, I did find this book had an "unschooling" slant.

More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
by Catherine Levison
31 used & new from CDN$ 5.37

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource jam-packed with advice, April 18 2008
I am happy to report this book is better written than the first of Levison's How-To books (there are two, this is her second one), plus there is much less Christian rhetoric in this second book. And it does provide wonderful condensed information about the Charlotte Mason's method of teaching. Levison offers lots of great advice on how to implement Mason's system, while providing wonderful quotes from Mason's written work from Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series . From reading both of Levison's how-to books, I feel I have a solid understanding of this method and can begin to successfully start teaching with this style. I'm also very inspired to read Charlotte Mason's original work, which I have just ordered on-line.

There is one major downside to Levison's books though. I am quite shocked that these mainstream (somewhat) published books (which both Chapters and Amazon sell on-line) can be full of such unprofessional opinions which fill many of the pages inside. Let me preview one of my favourites, an excerpt from the Coping Strategies chapter from More Charlotte Education, pg 110: "Pack our bullet proof vest and proceed. Spend as much time as they allow. Mingle with the students and observe the teachers interacting with a classroom. I've done this several times and the outcome is always an overwhelming sense of confidence in my ability to educate my children. I often return from these visits saying, "If I can't do a better job with both hands tied behind my back and drunk then there's something wrong with me." Is this an appropriate thing to write?! I think not! I know she was probably just trying to be funny, but still! However, given all these opinions from the author, of which I mostly disagree with, I do enjoy Levison's writing style and I do like her.

If you can positively skip over those extremely unprofessional, highly opinionated parts, then I recommend this book simply for the amazing amount of great advice on how to follow the Charlotte Mason method, and homeschooling in general. I'm excited to begin Mason's original work, and I feel that I now have a solid background to digest her writings (which are supposed to be quite intense).

Charlotte Mason Education: A How to Manual
Charlotte Mason Education: A How to Manual
by Catherine Levison
Price: CDN$ 9.83
31 used & new from CDN$ 5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a good quick review, April 14 2008
I really enjoyed this book. I read it very quickly in one day. If you are looking for a quick overview of the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling, this is definitely the book to read! She gives great suggestions on how to get started - cheaply - and basic teaching tips for all the subjects.

The only drawback for me is the author is very Christian and I had to giggle every time Levison wrote suggestions on how to censor certain things from her children because of her religion. For example, she puts post-it notes over the private parts on printed copies of famous paintings that she shows her children. See? Didn't you giggle?

Other than that, I highly recommend this book! I love the author's conversation style of writing. I'm now on her second book, which is a bit better written IMO, and goes into much more detail on the Charlotte Mason method.

Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More
Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More
by Gordon Neufeld
16 used & new from CDN$ 8.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Thought Provoking Book, April 6 2008
Last summer I picked up Hold On To Your Kids. Quite honestly, it has taken me a while to get through it (finally did today!). Part One The Phenomenon of Peer Orientation was fascinating. Part Two Sabotaged: How Peer Orientation Undermines Parenting scared the crap out of me. Part Three Stuck in Immaturity: How Peer Orientation Stunts Healthy Development was a tough read as Neufeld regurgitated the same points from part one & two with just a slightly different theme, though I still highly recommend reading this part. Part Four How to Hold On To Our Kids (How to Reclaim Them) was inspiring and motivating for raising children in a loving parent-child bond while providing gentle discipline. Part Five Preventing Peer Orientation gives great advice on how to avoid an overabundance of peer-peer socialization, however a lot of it is common sense which many parents could formulate after reading the previous chapters.

Basically, Neufeld & Mate feel we're in a state of crisis concerning our children. Children are bonding with their peers, putting them first. We're letting our children be raised by other children. Children need adults to show them correct morals and values on how to become a good human being. Children do not learn that from their peers. Adults, mainly parents, grandparents, and teachers, provide unconditional love, while peer bonds usually have many conditions.

In his book, Neufeld & Mate give the reader many wonderful tools to use to help create the parent-child attachment (part four). Basically, be attentive, connect, be supportive, offer unconditional love, and guide instead of dictate.

Well Trained Mind
Well Trained Mind
by Susan Bauer
17 used & new from CDN$ 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, I'm impressed with the amount of info packed in one book!, March 25 2008
This review is from: Well Trained Mind (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this book and I'm so glad I did! It's really inspiring for me, as I would like to homeschool but I really didn't know where to start. The authors have laid out the curriculum from K to the end of high school, which is really great for us novices! A great resource for recommended books as well. I have noticed the authors do recommend their books over others, but in defence, the authors probably created these books because they couldn't find the right book for their recommended curriculum.
Given that, I don't think I'll be following the Classical Education to a tee, especially the history and geography, I'll be following the Ontario government's educational guidelines instead. But I will be using this as a major resource for many years.

EDITED TO ADD: I have now read this book twice, and I'm so thankful I did! It's amazing how much information can be packed into one book!

For parents who would like to keep their children in the school system, the authors do give suggestions on how to implement additional education, but for the most part the authors are helping those families who would like to teach the Classical Education for their children full-time.

I'd have to say, the program is intense, but exciting too. Though I will not be following this program exactly (I love Charlotte Mason's method as well, which allows for more creative and nature-based pursuits) I have started to use the authors recommendations. Their list of resources are wonderful, and extremely helpful, as well as their immense amount of clear and professional educational advice.

I highly recommend this book to anyone serious about homeschooling their children.

Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: 6th Edition
Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: 6th Edition
by Paula Begoun
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Resource and Information on Certain Products, July 17 2007
I have a love/hate relationship with this book. Often when I'm looking into buying a certain product and I really want it, I am hoping Ms. Begoun has something good to say about it, but she often doesn't, lol. But all in all, I think if you're shopping for skin care and make-up, you MUST have this book. I don't always take her word for everything she states about a certain product, but it's nice to have her opinion before making such a expensive purchase.
I highly recommend you have this if you are shopping for cosmetics! Also check out her website, it's also very informative!
ps: I also agree with the last reviewer, I also like The Skin Type Solution, it's a great book on helping you discover your skin type and helps out find the right products for your skin.

The Beautiful Skin Workout: Eight Weeks to the Smoothest, Healthiest Skin of Your Life
by Michelle Copeland
Price: CDN$ 13.68
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Overview on Caring For Your Skin, July 17 2007
This is a good book generally listing all the necessary steps for "Creamy Skin". I first read The Skin Type Solution, which is great for which skin type you have and what products work best for each time. The Beauty Skin Workout was great in filling the gaps on why you need antioxidants and exfoliants, etc.
It's also nicely written, very quick read, in a more conversation style. She does push her products tho!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11