biss boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Learn more Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 343

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (BC)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Journey To The Heart
Journey To The Heart
by Frank Jelenek
Price: CDN$ 15.95
32 used & new from CDN$ 7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a perfect intro to prayer for my children, March 27 2014
This review is from: Journey To The Heart (Paperback)
I have been looking for a children's book to share my love of Centering Prayer. The author uses the most moving words to describe the experience in terms that my three children (11, 9, and 7) can understand and use. Really captures the heart of the practice. I have several meditation style books written for children, and this one is by far the best. Highly recommend!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: CDN$ 14.88
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful. Poetic. One of the best novels I've read., May 18 2010
Beautiful. Poetic. One of the best novels I've read. The Time Travelers Wife is such a lovely, yet authentic, love story with a very unique twist. It touches every emotion. I loved every minute of it. It's the kind of novel I will read over and over again.

One Hundred Days of Solitude: Losing Myself and Finding Grace on a Zen Retreat
One Hundred Days of Solitude: Losing Myself and Finding Grace on a Zen Retreat
by Jane Dobisz
Price: CDN$ 14.19
24 used & new from CDN$ 13.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Snippets of Wisdom, May 15 2010
One Hundred Days of Solitude by Jane Dobisz was a delight to read. Definitely full of snippets of wisdom. The reader can learn a lot about the unique Zen Buddhist philosophy by reading her experiences, as Dobisz has a knack of teaching through writing about her own personal practice. I think this would be a great book for someone who does not know the basics of Buddhism, because Dobisz eases the teachings using examples of common human experiences we all share. Lovely. Great reminders for those already on the path as well.

Cave in the Snow
Cave in the Snow
by Vicki Mackenzie
Price: CDN$ 19.95
28 used & new from CDN$ 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspiring, May 9 2010
This review is from: Cave in the Snow (Paperback)
I am deeply moved by Tenzin Palmo's life story. I practice Insight Meditation, and being a woman, I look for stories by other woman practitioners on the Buddhist path that I can indentify with and perhaps aspire to. Definitely Tenzin Palmo is one such woman. I enjoyed her life story, from her English beginnings to her early days as a Tibetan nun in India to her time in her cave to her teachings that came after. I thoroughly enjoyed getting glimpses of her core teachings in the later chapters of the book. And also, the debate of the role of women in Western Buddhism, as well as, being provided with information on some of the other Buddhist women teachers who have chosen to get married and have children with-in their spiritual path. And I think her current quest to build a Tibetan nunnery is so wonderful and inspiring. I highly recommend this inspiring read.

Lotus in the Fire
Lotus in the Fire
by Jim Bedard
Price: CDN$ 17.39
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A true pageturner!, March 26 2010
This review is from: Lotus in the Fire (Paperback)
Wow. What an amazing book. I am so glad the author Jim Bedard shared his experience. The book was so moving, so heartfelt. I practice Buddhism, not Zen, more simply Vipassana, however, the faith he has is so real and so strong, I truly believe his experiences and he has completely inspired me. Thank you Jim!

Evidence Of The Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
Evidence Of The Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
by Jeffrey Long
Price: CDN$ 26.99
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the skeptic, March 9 2010
I was a skeptic before reading Jeffrey Long and Paul Perry's book titled "Evidence of the Afterlife", but since we all have our eventual death in common, the book intrigued me enough to purchase it and read it front to back. I think the book definitely presents a strong case, with a lot of research and data behind it. Some of the presentation of the data was tiresome, but great for those who love to read all the facts. I thought it was written well, with a nice personal touch, Jeffrey Long come across like a very nice, intelligent man. I highly recommend for those interested in NDEs and want some well thought out proof.

Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
by Jennifer Cornbleet
Price: CDN$ 21.95
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the newbie!, Nov. 18 2009
Since the summer I have been transitioning to almost all raw foods, with the exception of the odd homemade soup or stew. I first started off with Ani Phyo's "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" and a little while later with Cherie Soria's "The Raw Food Revolution" and while both of these recipe books are good, I was a little discouraged with the amount of work all this "uncooking" was. Then I picked up Jennifer Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy" and I am so glad I did! Not only are the recipes simple and easy to prepare but all the dishes I've tried thus far are so yummy! I have tried about half of the recipes in this book. I love that Jennifer spells out everything for the newbie. Even on how to chop and use the equipment. I wish there were more entree selections, but there's enough here to get started and then "go with" to start to create your own dishes. To note: Jennifer does use avocado, nuts and seeds, though compared to other raw cookbooks, I don't think Jennifer's recipe to be overly high in fat, which is good.

Yoga Radiance [Import]
Yoga Radiance [Import]
DVD ~ Vincent D. Corry
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 51.64
7 used & new from CDN$ 51.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely practice, Nov. 7 2009
This review is from: Yoga Radiance [Import] (DVD)
I have many yoga DVDs, and though it's not my favourite (I really like Eoin Finn's DVDs), I do reach for this DVD often. It is quite challenging, but it's great for variety when I'm feeling strong. I find that the cueing is good, not great, but good enough once you've done the DVD a few times. You may need to look at the TV screen at parts in the beginning just to fully grasp what the narrator is trying to convey.
Definitely worth a try for those looking for a challenge and variety.

Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
by Joel Fuhrman
72 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, Sept. 30 2009
Oh my. I have read numerous books on nutrition and health and I would have to say Eat To Live is the best one out there. For over ten years the author Joel Fuhrman, MD has helped so many people change their bad eating habits and change their health. Being a doctor he looks at all the recent research and studies to formulate his recommendations. I completely trust his advice, 100%. His book is very clear and to the point, and he offers many easy recipes to get you started. Though this book has been geared to those who are in poor health and overweight, the healthy leaner person can get a lot out of this book as well. Fuhrman positively shows how what you eat really does affect your health. Eating the way he recommends will reduce your chance of getting sick and increase your chances of living longer and healthier.

Don't hesitate and read this book! (Most libraries have it).

The Thrive Diet: The Whole Food Way To Losing Weight Reducing Stress And Staying
by Brendan Brazier
Price: CDN$ 18.75
42 used & new from CDN$ 3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Change Your Health!, Sept. 30 2009
What an excellent book. I got The Thrive Diet as a birthday present while camping and I read the entire book with-in three days. It was such a great, inspiring read. I was familiar with the author Brendan Brazier's main message as I had just finished his new (and free!) Thrive in 30 program offered from his website. The book has clarified and expanded on those points, where I now have a much better understanding on his approach to a healthy body (and mind).

I love his premise on reducing all types of stress (nutritional, psychological, environmental) and his explanations for his Thrive diet. Truly amazing. And definitely following his advice will get you extremely healthy! I have many books on health, and the good ones stress the same elements: eat more vegetables. Especially green leafy veggies, plus switching a plant-based diet. Of course there's so much more, which is why I recommend reading this book.

I would say my only gripe is Brendan doesn't footnote; he does mention a lot of research and science-based studies but there are no further noting/resources about these studies. I know what he says is correct as I've read other books on plant-based nutrition (like Eat To Live book by Joel Fuhrman, MD and Michael Greger, MD DVD series) who do mention similar studies and research and provide the footnotes (and/or shows the studies on the DVD). I figure Brendan is coming from an athletes perspective, not from a researcher and/or MD, so he doesn't need to provide all the medical and clinical studies.

I have tried many of his recipes and I enjoy all his smoothies, pre/post exercise, cereals, and some of his veggie recipes. I have had to adapt many of his other recipes to suit my own tastes, but the recipes are definitely a good starting point. For newbie cooks, I suggest getting other healthy eating or specifically raw cookbooks (or checking out the internet) to complement Brendan's recipes. I love Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, Becoming Vegetarian, and The Gluten-Free Vegan, but of course, I usually adapt those as well.

Good book! Change your life (and health) and read it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15