Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 206

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Herb The Vegetarian Dragon P
Herb The Vegetarian Dragon P
by J Bass
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, Sept. 11 2008
Another Barefoot Book, this one is hilarious. If you are a vegetarian and have young kids you need to get this book. It's a bit of a choppy read, but well worth the message. Basically there's this peaceful, gardening dragon named Herb in the mist of the fighting between the violent people-eating dragons and the angry knights (who are the ones being eaten, along with the princesses). In the end, the message is it is important to learn to live together peacefully without ignorance...and perhaps become a vegetarian.

Being a vegetarian on and off since my early 20s (I started eating meat again when I became pregnant with my first, it was all I craved) and sometimes still eat the occasional pepperoni, I think it's safe to say vegetarians sometimes get "attitude" from some meat-eaters. It's strange, it's like the meat-eaters think it's an attack against them because we choose not to eat meat. It's kinda of funny to witness, and this is also in the book as the meat-eating dragons are kinda mean to Herb and at one part in the story they try to force him to eat some wild boar.

Any who, it's a hoot. We probably won't read it often, but it'll be a special book to pull out once and a while.

My Granny Went to Market: A Round-The-World Counting Rhyme [MY GRANNY WENT TO MARKET]
by Christopher(Illustrator) Blackstone Stella(Author) ; Corr
7 used & new from CDN$ 17.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun counting book!, Sept. 11 2008
For my last order, I went crazy buying Barefoot Books. Arthur and I love the books that come from this publisher. And this one is no exception: it's a fun colourful book that is just the right length to capture your pre-schoolers attention. It's a lively rhyming counting book full of bright pictures of Granny's trip around the world. Also great to introduce different cultures. An absolute joy to read!

Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
by Shea Darian
Price: CDN$ 22.41
21 used & new from CDN$ 9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Jam-packed with ideas, Aug. 19 2008
I really like how this book is laid out. Very easy to use, very quick to read through.

Basically this book is about guiding your child(ren) through the rhythms of the day by using simple songs and rituals. Providing a loose schedule (rhythms) for your child(ren) definitely provides calmness for you and your family. I have witnessed this with my own children! Over and over again!

There is also a CD that has all the songs, for those who are not musically inclined (me!). It's nice and calming, I highly recommend to get the CD if you are going to purchase the book.

Darian does add her Christian religion here and there, but it's not intrusive at all, and she does offer other alternatives. Waldorf is based on Anthroposophy which is the spiritual study of the human being, so when reading Waldorf-based books you are bound at read about the author's own spiritual beliefs, which I don't think it's a big deal.

Long Way Round: The Entire Series (Ten Episodes)
Long Way Round: The Entire Series (Ten Episodes)
DVD ~ Ewan McGregor
Price: CDN$ 28.98
14 used & new from CDN$ 21.02

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fun ride!, July 24 2008
This series is AMAZING! I loved watching Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride around the world and seeing all their adventures and mishaps they had along the way. It was funny, touching, exciting, and riveting, so it was definitely a roller-coaster ride just watching them. And it was really great to see all the different countries and the interesting people they met.

I highly recommend this series for motorcycle lovers and non-motorcycle lovers alike! (I'm in the latter category...well I was before watching this series, I have a new respect for motorcycling). I'm also pumped to watch their next series Long Way Down where they travel from Scotland down to South Africa, but I can't seem to find the American DVD format available. Either that, or it's so popular it sold out very quickly, as it was released in June of this year.

A word of warning though, there is quite a bit of swearing in this series, especially as they get along on their journey. Nothing too profane, just typical for a bunch of guys hanging out together for a long period of time.

Thankfully our DVDs did not skip or anything, even on our low-quality DVD player. Perhaps it's just the luck of the draw, or perhaps the manufacturer have fixed the issues concerning the quality.

The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
by Amanda Blake Soule
Price: CDN$ 16.61
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational!, July 17 2008
I just loved this book. I found the author Amanda Blake Soule to be very down to earth, yet firm in her convections. I really like her writing style, perhaps it's because I also firmly believe in what she's trying to convey, how being creative with your children helps nurture family connections, which is something sorely lacking in our society today. It is JAM PACKED with amazing, yet simple, creative projects to do with your little one(s). It's totally inspirational! Out of all the crafty books I've read recently, this is by far the best, I like almost all of the completely doable projects, and plan to try all of them over this year. Highly recommend!

Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
by Sharifa Oppenheimer
Price: CDN$ 31.24
35 used & new from CDN$ 23.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Suggestions for Implementing Waldorf Principles, July 17 2008
I really like this book, the author Sharifa Oppenheimer, writes with such a warm tone, guiding you along, helping you, as a parent, try to implement some of the Waldorf principles into raising of your child(ren). I found You Are Your Child's First Teacher to be a better, perhaps "meatier", resource for specific Waldorf Principles, while the easier to read through Heaven On Earth breaks it all down, giving you many simple examples on how to give your child the best richly creative environment for each age-specific developmental stage. Oppenheimer provides guidance on establishing life rhythms (so important for a stay at home parent to stay sane, while producing well-balanced children), creating indoor and outdoor spaces, numerous suggestions on celebrations, which helps build a "family culture" (absolute must!). I think out of the two (You Are Your Child's First Teacher vs Heaven On Earth), I will have my husband read Heaven On Earth, as it's definitely an quick and easier read.

Peaceful Piggy Meditation
Peaceful Piggy Meditation
by Kerry Lee MacLean
Price: CDN$ 7.95
26 used & new from CDN$ 1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids love this book!, June 28 2008
The pictures capture my young children's attention, the words are simple and clear, and I find it sets the right mood just before meditating with my children.
I highly recommend for any wiggly meditator!

Zen Shorts
Zen Shorts
by Jon J Muth
Price: CDN$ 14.72
50 used & new from CDN$ 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 27 2008
This review is from: Zen Shorts (Hardcover)
I just love this book!

Zen Shorts is such a positive, engaging story for young children. And thought provoking too, as my oldest (whose five) asks many questions about the morals in the stories (there are several). The illustrations are beautiful, the story is unique, and it's a wonderful inspiring read for young minds.

You are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
by Rahima Baldwin
Price: CDN$ 28.18
25 used & new from CDN$ 6.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend For Every Parent of Young Children, June 27 2008
What this book helps with is seeing children differently...through their various developments, so you can help guide them - at the right times - and to avoid frustrations, because you can now see what your children are or aren't capable of, depending which development stage they are currently at.

Baldwin Dancy recommends having "rhythms" (loosely based schedule) to your day to avoid a lot of the chaos and confrontations, because your children will know what's happening next. It was interesting to read that most children under six don't have the focus/concentration to sit for long periods of time (like my children). And that children do best learning through play.

This book explains why it's beneficial to avoid television,video games, and computers. Plus ways to provide the right natural imaginative toys for learning and growing developmentally.

Baldwin Dancy even explains why a stay-at-home parent is so tired at the end of the day and how it's so important to take care of yourself.

Some main-stream parents might find this read a little too "hooky" and "new-agey". So all I ask is you keep an open mind, as your children will benefit immensely. I'm not sure I agree with all the "stressed" importance of some of Steiner's writings on childhood education as I am still not convinced I shouldn't teach my son to read until his adult teeth come in or the importance of colour therapy. But I now have some absolutely amazing tools I can take from such an unbelievable rich style of raising and teaching your children.

Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
by Sarah Napthali
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Every New Mother, June 16 2008
I highly recommend that every mother read Buddhism for Mothers, even if you do not practice Buddhism. Bringing the insightful 2500 yr old teachings of the Buddha and blending them into practical advice for mothers of young children is so necessary for every parent to read and implement.

The author Sarah Napthali (from Australia) is so real and easy to identify with. Several years ago, I tried reading a different parenting buddhism book and felt the author was way to "perfect" to relate to and put it down half read.

Each chapter of Buddhism for Mothers deals with an area to work on (dealing with anger, finding calm, parenting mindfully) and offers ways to evolve to a more mindful loving parent.

I also thoroughly enjoyed "Creating Loving Relationships" and "Living With Partners". Packed with many helpful tips to create connections in a real and honest way, something our society is seriously lacking.

I think my favourite chapter was "Finding Happiness". Being a mother is absolutely wonderful, however, if all of us mothers were honest we can say that mothering is hugely challenging and lonely and selfless and occasionally stressful, having a positive outlook and changing your "delusion" or "perception" of your reality is absolutely necessary to create a sense of calm peacefulness, which I think every one needs. In Buddhism for Mothers, Napthali gives you the starting tools to create your new mindful path.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12