Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 312

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Finding the Still Point (Book and CD): A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
Finding the Still Point (Book and CD): A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
by John Daido Loori
Price: CDN$ 13.00
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starting Point, May 24 2008
I read this book start to finish last night (it's small). Though I knew most of basics from when I went to a Zen Centre a few years back, this book was a nice refresher. And I did learn a few excellent things that will help my zazen practice greatly, like the best sitting position to keep my spine straight with-out strain, plus a great way of easy counting of my breath to keep the mind from wandering. I tried both techniques during this morning's zazen, and found the results amazing. I listened to the CD today. Though short, it was nice to listen to Loori, he is very calm and informative in an informal way, which I liked. I don't think the two meditations sessions, one 10min and the other 30min, are really necessary tho, as all it does is have three gongs at the beginning and two gongs at the end, something you can do on your own. But I gather it would be helpful for some to have the exact timing for each meditation session, instead of consistently checking their clock, and perhaps for those who do not have a singing bowl or gong.

I definitely recommend this little book and CD for any beginner looking for good basic advice and motivation to start their Zen meditation practice.

Baby Buddhas: A Guide for Teaching Meditation to Children
Baby Buddhas: A Guide for Teaching Meditation to Children
by Lisa Desmond
17 used & new from CDN$ 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treasure, May 22 2008
I highly recommend this book! I was very skeptical at first as I was afraid with a name like "baby buddhas" it would be hooky, with not a lot of substance. Boy was I wrong! The author, Lisa Desmond, is very knowledgeable and passionate about her practice and her teaching meditation to pre-school children. She walks through the basics in a very easy-to-grasp-way without omitting anything you may not know. She suggests certain props, suggests what to say and when to say it, and leads you through many loving and calming meditations.

I've tried a couple meditations from the book, Adult Morning Meditation and Sunshine Meditation (for children), and both flowed beautifully. I took all her suggestions (like explaining why we sit up straight - for energy flow - my five-yearr-old son then took the straightening of the spine very seriously - to maximize his energy flow of course), which really helped. I like her prop suggestions, which to me aren't necessary, but for children who like to "feel" and "touch" seem like a great idea.

I'm going to be using this book for many years to come, I'm so happy I found this treasure. Plus, I love the glossy thick paper of each page.

Bringing the Sacred to Life: The Daily Practice of Zen Ritual
Bringing the Sacred to Life: The Daily Practice of Zen Ritual
by John Daido Loori
Price: CDN$ 20.30
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource to Help Deepen Your Practice, May 21 2008
This is a good little book (total of 120 pages), full of wisdom about the "heart" of Zen liturgy (rituals, practices). This book contains meaningful Zen chants and rituals, and goes a step further and explains in passionate detail the reasons behind them.

Not for the beginner, but I highly recommend if you are meditating already and practicing simple Buddhist practices and would like to expand and deepen your practice. I like the author's style of writing and his teachings, so much so in the near future I plan to read Finding the Still Point: A Beginner's Guide To Zen Meditation, which comes with an audio CD and perhaps Invoking Reality: Moral and Ethical Teachings of Zen.

John Daido Loori's words are more "meaty" than Thich Hnat Hanh's beautiful prose. I love Hanh's simple message, but it can be nice to sometimes introduce new teachings to keep the mind "fresh". Because of Loori's "deeper" teachings, I found his words slightly more perplexing (as Buddhist teachings tend to be).

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
by Thich Nhat Hanh
Price: CDN$ 13.68
58 used & new from CDN$ 1.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself, your family, and your community a favour and read this book, May 18 2008
Wow. What an amazing little book full of such wise words. Truthfully, I have tried to read different Buddhism-inspired books from start to finish, but this is the first one that I was able to read from front to back with ease. Thich Nhat Hanh is a gentle teacher, with simple to understand wise words gracing every page. His message is clear: people need to live mindfully, fully aware in the present to live a full, peaceful, and compassionate life. Hanh supplies much helpful advice to start your own path, your own way to begin to live with mindfulness. Conscious breathing is central to Thich Hnat Hanh's teaching. Use conscious breathing when meditating, washing dishes to driving the car to become fully present in every moment. This will bring you peace and clarity. Everything else will follow. Do yourself, family, and your community a favour, and pick up this little gem. I love it so much I bought a copy for my husband for Father's Day; I know it'll change his life as much as it has enriched mine

Science Arts
Science Arts
by MaryAnn F. Kohl
29 used & new from CDN$ 4.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Creative, Amazing Resource For Many Years!, May 7 2008
This review is from: Science Arts (Paperback)
I recently got this book from the library and have read all the experiments, and I love how this book is jam-packed with imaginative and inventive activities that are not only great for learning, but for simple creative fun too! This book has recommended age levels, so there's a bunch of activities geared for younger preschool children (3-5+), plus a handful of more advanced activities for older 6-8+ aged children. So this book will be an amazing resource for many years. Plus, I do really like the layout of MaryAnn Kohl's art books, she explains the activities well and all have a nice hand-drawn illustration of the activity or the finished product.

Matharts
Matharts
by MaryAnn F. Kohl
Price: CDN$ 29.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 5.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Very creative! Has a handful of great activities to try!, May 7 2008
This review is from: Matharts (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the creative "math" centred art activities in this book. Though, compared to my other experiment/activity based books I've read (Science in Seconds, Busy Books, Nature in a Nutshell, and ScienceArts) I didn't find as many activities I'm interested in doing with the kids, maybe about 10 in all. So I suggest getting this one from the library before purchasing. I do really like the layout of MaryAnn Kohl's art books, she explains the activities well and all have a nice hand-drawn illustration of the activity or the finished product.

Nature in a Nutshell for Kids: Over 100 Activities You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less
by Jean Potter
Price: CDN$ 12.99
37 used & new from CDN$ 4.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Learning About Nature, May 6 2008
This book is GREAT! Almost every experiment is doable and fun!
I really love how this book has simple and easy activity/experiments to help connect kids to nature. They really get to explore and learn in a fun way. As a homeschooling mom I aim to help my young kids perform at least 1-2 of the experiments a week, and they really do learn a lot from each one. I highly recommend this book and Jean Potter's other book Science in Seconds.

Science in Seconds for Kids: Over 100 Experiments You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less
by Jean Potter
Price: CDN$ 12.99
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, May 6 2008
I LOVE this book! Almost every experiment is doable and fun! I have several science experiment books and this one is by far the best, followed closely by Jean Potter's other amazing book called Nature in a Nutshell.

One of the reviewers here say there isn't a lot of cause and effect type experiments, I disagree, this book is FULL of them.

As a homeschooling mom I aim to help my young kids perform at least 1-2 of the experiments a week, and they really do learn a lot from each one. I highly recommend!

Everybody Has A Body
Everybody Has A Body
by Robert E Rockwell
Price: CDN$ 26.95
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, May 6 2008
This review is from: Everybody Has A Body (Paperback)
I have another book from the same authors called Mudpies To Magnets, and out of the two, I definitely like this one better. They provide a great amount of fun experiments to help create body awareness in young children. But I have to admit, this one is not my favourite, mainly because it's written more for classrooms than for parents. I have found all the Busy Books by Trish Kuffner(I have them all) to give many more easy suggestions that work well for homeschooling families.

Mudpies To Magnets
Mudpies To Magnets
by Robert A Williams
Price: CDN$ 14.40
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favourite, May 6 2008
This review is from: Mudpies To Magnets (Paperback)
Because the authors are writing mainly for school teachers, a lot of the experiments don't work well for me as a homeschooling mom. I found a handful of good experiments to try, and some the kids have enjoyed, but I can't really recommend this book, since there are so many great science experiments books are there, like Science in Seconds and Nature in a Nutshell. Check out those, along with ScienceArts, before picking up this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11