Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions
Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG
Top Reviewer Ranking: 233

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (Southern Ontario)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
The Quiltmaker's Gift
The Quiltmaker's Gift
by Jeff Brumbeau
Price: CDN$ 15.75
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful message, Nov. 16 2008
This review is from: The Quiltmaker's Gift (Hardcover)
What a beautiful story...a greedy, yet unhappy, King demands a quilt by the very generous Quiltmaker, but she refuses because she only gives her quilts to the poor. In the end, the King gives all his treasures away and realizes how much happier he is with less.

It's a great story for our over-consuming un-fulfilled society, a perfect example that living simply provides a more contented way to live. Also, shows children how giving without expecting anything in return provides happiness.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, and the text just flows when read aloud. It's a longer story, perfect for my six year old.

Rea;Shiva Fluid Power Vinyasa
Rea;Shiva Fluid Power Vinyasa
DVD ~ Shiva Rea
Price: CDN$ 24.63
25 used & new from CDN$ 16.35

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yoga DVD out there, Sept. 25 2008
Shiva Rea is perhaps the most inspiring yoga instructor out there (that's available on DVDs, as I'm sure there are many amazing yoga instructors teaching in local yoga studios).

This past week, I purchased Shiva Rea's Fluid Power and have tried a couple of the practices, and all I can say is...this is the best yoga DVD out there (for those looking to try something different). It's so distinctive and so beautiful (the poses and the scenery). Some of the reviews I've read say that what Shiva Rea teaches on this DVD is not yoga, and I completely disagree. What Shiva Rea teaches is EXACTLY what yoga truly is. This is raw yoga (it's a "fluid" practice, where the poses move you like water), perhaps like the poses taught in India for many past generations, not the mechanical "mainstream" yoga taught in North America today.

If you are looking for more "tradtional" yoga poses, I highly recommend Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti.

So if you've been practicing yoga for several years and are bored of your routine, then I highly recommend trying one of Shiva Rea's inspiring DVDs. She'll take you to another - spiritually moving - level, and perhaps rekindle your love of yoga.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational, Sept. 25 2008

I have been practicing the Yoga Shakti DVD for a couple of months now. It is so wonderful. Using her unique matrix system, you can "create" an abundant different sequences, mainly traditional sun and moon salutations (with Rea's own unique take on them). Shiva Rea's form is just perfect, every move and pose is flawlessly executed.

This practice is not for the absolute beginner. I pop in this DVD when I'm feeling energetic and ready to take on a challenge. I'm always glad I did, as I usually feel so amazing afterwards. It reminds me of when I use to walk home after a taking a class at an amazing yoga studio in Toronto, and I felt like I was walking on a cloud, as every muscle tingled with energy. That's how I feel after a Yoga Shakti "class". That's never happened with any other home practice DVD.

I have been practicing yoga for 14 years now, and taught "power yoga" at the last gym I worked at before kids. For the past 7 years though, I've been mainly practicing yoga at home, and so I have collected a huge array of yoga DVDs. Many are boring and mechanical, except for the Namaste series, and now the Shiva Rea DVDs.

Sharing Nature with Children
Sharing Nature with Children
by Joseph Bharat Cornell
Price: CDN$ 10.93
38 used & new from CDN$ 1.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book full of activities, Sept. 20 2008
This is a great little book for those wanting ideas to play innovative games with a group of children to explore nature together in fun and exciting ways. For homeschooling families, there may be a need to adapt the games to suit individual requirements of a much smaller group (unless you have six or more kids!). Given that, I do think after having read all the activities, I may adapt a few for next time we're on a hike or camping, just for fun.

One more thing to note, reading Joseph Cornell's words, you really get a sense of his reverence to nature.

Story Tree (Book & CD)
Story Tree (Book & CD)
by Hugh Lupton
20 used & new from CDN$ 10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars one of our faves, Sept. 19 2008
This review is from: Story Tree (Book & CD) (Paperback)
-Beautiful illustrations, super colourful and very interesting.

-Great read aloud book, it reads very well, and captures the attentions of wiggly pre-schoolers and energetic first grader boys (I speak from experience, lol).

-Perfect length, definitely not too long that the reader doesn't loose the audience's attention. But still not too short that you go "is that it?".

-FULL of great stories! Storytime has: The Rooster, the Mouse, and the Little Red Hen, The Gingerbread Man, The Ugly Duckling, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Timid Hare, The Three Little Pigs, and Stone Soup. See?! That's a lot of great stories! If new parents are on a budget, then this is all you will ever need when your children are young.

-And lastly, the collection of stories are mainly classics from all over the world, from different cultures. I love exposing my kids to different stories that we wouldn't normally know or hear about otherwise. :)

Flavors of Entanglement
Flavors of Entanglement
Price: CDN$ 19.65
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo good!, Sept. 18 2008
This review is from: Flavors of Entanglement (Audio CD)
I'm not a huge "rock" fan, and I do find many of the tracks on Morissette's new CD are such, yet I am still completely in love with this album. There's just enough mix of Morissette's unique voice entangled with funky techno or rockin' electric guitar. I wouldn't listen to this CD with my young kids, but it's awesome for exercising to.

The first track called Citizen of the Planet is by far my favourite on this album. But I also enjoy Underneath, Strait Jacket, and Versions of Violence as well. Heck, I love all the songs.

I just finished reading a bunch of interviews from Morissette's website . I am so pleasantly surprised how insightful and thought-provoking she is.

The Faerie's Gift
The Faerie's Gift
by Tanya Robyn Batt
25 used & new from CDN$ 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFULLY illustrated, wonderfully written, and loving storyline, Sept. 11 2008
This review is from: The Faerie's Gift (Hardcover)
Oooohhh, I absolutely love this Barefoot Book. BEAUTIFULLY illustrated, wonderfully written, and loving storyline, this is a must for all young children. My kids love when I pick this book to read to them. The illustrations are warm and welcoming, the words are comforting, and the message is clear. It's about a man who saves the life of a faerie and in return receives one wish to be granted. The man is torn on what to wish for, but in the end helps out all his loved ones.

Herb The Vegetarian Dragon P
Herb The Vegetarian Dragon P
by J Bass
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, Sept. 11 2008
Another Barefoot Book, this one is hilarious. If you are a vegetarian and have young kids you need to get this book. It's a bit of a choppy read, but well worth the message. Basically there's this peaceful, gardening dragon named Herb in the mist of the fighting between the violent people-eating dragons and the angry knights (who are the ones being eaten, along with the princesses). In the end, the message is it is important to learn to live together peacefully without ignorance...and perhaps become a vegetarian.

Being a vegetarian on and off since my early 20s (I started eating meat again when I became pregnant with my first, it was all I craved) and sometimes still eat the occasional pepperoni, I think it's safe to say vegetarians sometimes get "attitude" from some meat-eaters. It's strange, it's like the meat-eaters think it's an attack against them because we choose not to eat meat. It's kinda of funny to witness, and this is also in the book as the meat-eating dragons are kinda mean to Herb and at one part in the story they try to force him to eat some wild boar.

Any who, it's a hoot. We probably won't read it often, but it'll be a special book to pull out once and a while.

My Granny Went to Market: A Round-The-World Counting Rhyme [MY GRANNY WENT TO MARKET]
by Christopher(Illustrator) Blackstone Stella(Author) ; Corr
6 used & new from CDN$ 0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun counting book!, Sept. 11 2008
For my last order, I went crazy buying Barefoot Books. Arthur and I love the books that come from this publisher. And this one is no exception: it's a fun colourful book that is just the right length to capture your pre-schoolers attention. It's a lively rhyming counting book full of bright pictures of Granny's trip around the world. Also great to introduce different cultures. An absolute joy to read!

Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
by Shea Darian
Price: CDN$ 22.41
15 used & new from CDN$ 9.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Jam-packed with ideas, Aug. 19 2008
I really like how this book is laid out. Very easy to use, very quick to read through.

Basically this book is about guiding your child(ren) through the rhythms of the day by using simple songs and rituals. Providing a loose schedule (rhythms) for your child(ren) definitely provides calmness for you and your family. I have witnessed this with my own children! Over and over again!

There is also a CD that has all the songs, for those who are not musically inclined (me!). It's nice and calming, I highly recommend to get the CD if you are going to purchase the book.

Darian does add her Christian religion here and there, but it's not intrusive at all, and she does offer other alternatives. Waldorf is based on Anthroposophy which is the spiritual study of the human being, so when reading Waldorf-based books you are bound at read about the author's own spiritual beliefs, which I don't think it's a big deal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13