Profile for Just My Opinion > Reviews

Content by Just My Opinion

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Just My Opinion

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
WORDPERFECT OFFICE X7 STANDARD EN ESD
WORDPERFECT OFFICE X7 STANDARD EN ESD
Offered by Mendax Micro Canada
Price: CDN$ 274.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful program except for one flaw, May 26 2015
I find WordPerfect so much easier to use than Word. If I need a document in Word, I just use WP to convert it. There is a button for that. Voila! and it's done. I bought this version as an upgrade because of the EBook features. I was offered the opportunity to include all my previous setting. This went well EXCEPT -- instead of being able to customize macro icons they have changed this feature to a finite number of png files that have no relation to anything. Before, I could customize the macro icon in a way that helped me remember its purpose. Now, they are just random symbols and I need a chart to interpret them. So many times "they" feel they have to make changes for change sake rather than keep features that work very well as they are.

Montcalm And Wolfe
Montcalm And Wolfe
by Roch Carrier
Price: CDN$ 22.60
5 used & new from CDN$ 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs maps, Dec 20 2014
This review is from: Montcalm And Wolfe (Hardcover)
This book would have been easier to follow if it had some maps. Both Montcalm and Wolfe jump all over the place.

The Visual Enneagram
The Visual Enneagram
by Aine Ni Cheallaigh

3.0 out of 5 stars Group Exercise?, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: The Visual Enneagram (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love seeing ways of illustrating the Enneagram. However, as a book to use it to help people find their Enneagram I don't see it as being of much value. It would be more of a group exercise such as ask each type to illustrate what it means to be their type.

The Beggar's Opera [Import]
The Beggar's Opera [Import]
DVD ~ Rosemary Ashe
Price: CDN$ 35.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 27.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles very inaccurate, July 3 2013
This review is from: The Beggar's Opera [Import] (DVD)
I already have a copy of this opera without subtitles and when I saw that it was available with subtitles I ordered a copy. I'm not sure where they got the text from, but the words are not the same in almost every sentence. It's as if they had the text from another version. I found the sound quality clear and easy to follow, but I was constantly having to edit in my head what I was reading in the subtitles.

John Carter [Blu-ray + DVD]
John Carter [Blu-ray + DVD]
DVD ~ Taylor Kitsch
Price: CDN$ 9.96
28 used & new from CDN$ 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars What more do Sci Fi fans want?, Aug. 26 2012
When I saw this movie in the theatre, I thought it was fantastic. I was so disappointed that it wasn't a success as I hoped for more sequels. I just saw it again on the Movie Channel and was intrigued all over again. The CGI work is wonderful. If you like fantastic stories, you won't be disappointed.

Tchaikovsky
Tchaikovsky
DVD ~ Various
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 115.16
5 used & new from CDN$ 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, Aug. 12 2012
This review is from: Tchaikovsky (DVD)
I found this documentary an excellent combination of narration and musical performance. It was interesting and informative. I realize that there are unanswered questions about Tchaikovsky's life but a biography can only give at most a snapshot of the individual.

HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME
HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME
DVD ~ Diarra Kilpatrick, Jonathan Blanc, Eric Debets, Chad Allen Michael Airington
Price: CDN$ 14.95
24 used & new from CDN$ 10.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Just drags along, Nov. 5 2011
This review is from: HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME (DVD)
The colour of the film is quite faded. The hero is a colourless character who I don't care about. It is his hopeless attempt to go to Hollywood to get over the end of his relationship, and perhaps start a Hollywood career. Having bought the DVD I figured I owed it to myself to watch it to the end, but if it had been on TV, I would have switched it off. After an hour an a half, I kind of felt sorry for the poor guy, but not really.

True Love [Import]
True Love [Import]
DVD ~ John Ainsworth
Price: CDN$ 24.52
18 used & new from CDN$ 11.52

1.0 out of 5 stars Why was this made?, Oct. 17 2011
This review is from: True Love [Import] (DVD)
This video could be shown to anyone who is gay to scare the life out of them. The message is "Life is terrible and then you die!" The video is series of short vignettes.
"A Christmas Story" is a "home movie" of children opening their Christmas presents. The little boy wants the little girl's frilly dress and is shamed.
"Going Gay" describes a father's reaction to his son's sleepover and being caught with another boy.
"History" tells of a young man confronting his uncle about what might have been a false memory.
"Sunday" is the only positive clip of the bunch showing two older men sharing affection for each other.
"He Was Perfect" tells of how getting what you dream of may be your worst nightmare.
"Staying Together" is more positive with one lover assuring another that he will stay with him.
"A Little Drama" shows a stage technician watching a production and someone he is enamored with performing. Unrequited love.

Murdoch Mysteries: Season One
Murdoch Mysteries: Season One
DVD ~ Yannick Bisson
Price: CDN$ 74.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 38.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series, Dec 27 2010
I agree with the other reviewers. This is an excellent series. I have watched it several times on TV, including reruns. I gave it 5 stars even though it has one serious flaw. Every time the scene changes, there is very loud music/noise to indicate a scene change. I don't remember it being that noticeable on the TV. It means that if you have the sound turned up loudly enough to hear the dialogue, the scene change sound is quite annoying. But this is such an excellent series that I couldn't knock it down a star. Since much of our top talent goes to the USA, this is an outstanding Canadian production. The star Yannick Bisson is a very handsome man, a close tie with Paul Gross.

Handel: Messiah (Theater an der Wien 2009) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Richard Croft
Price: CDN$ 47.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 32.66

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing version, Nov. 6 2010
Having sung in the chorus of the Messiah, I am quite familiar with the music. I found watching this version quite riveting. Instead of a mass choir and soloists standing in a concert setting, this is an operatic presentation. Someone has committed suicide and the story unfolds as to how the family and other react to this tragedy. The singing and music is excellent. I was fascinated as to how this very traditional musical event could be presented in a very non traditional way. Unfortunately, there were no extras. It would have been fascinating to hear what was in the director's mind as he conceived this version.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3