Profile for Just My Opinion > Reviews

Content by Just My Opinion

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Just My Opinion

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Visual Enneagram
The Visual Enneagram
by Aine Ni Cheallaigh
Price: CDN$ 13.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Group Exercise?, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: The Visual Enneagram (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love seeing ways of illustrating the Enneagram. However, as a book to use it to help people find their Enneagram I don't see it as being of much value. It would be more of a group exercise such as ask each type to illustrate what it means to be their type.

The Beggar's Opera
The Beggar's Opera
DVD ~ Rosemary Ashe
Price: CDN$ 35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles very inaccurate, July 3 2013
This review is from: The Beggar's Opera (DVD)
I already have a copy of this opera without subtitles and when I saw that it was available with subtitles I ordered a copy. I'm not sure where they got the text from, but the words are not the same in almost every sentence. It's as if they had the text from another version. I found the sound quality clear and easy to follow, but I was constantly having to edit in my head what I was reading in the subtitles.

John Carter [Blu-ray + DVD]
John Carter [Blu-ray + DVD]
DVD ~ Taylor Kitsch
Price: CDN$ 9.96
37 used & new from CDN$ 7.88

5.0 out of 5 stars What more do Sci Fi fans want?, Aug. 26 2012
When I saw this movie in the theatre, I thought it was fantastic. I was so disappointed that it wasn't a success as I hoped for more sequels. I just saw it again on the Movie Channel and was intrigued all over again. The CGI work is wonderful. If you like fantastic stories, you won't be disappointed.

Tchaikovsky
Tchaikovsky
DVD ~ Alice Glover
Offered by OptiShopper Canada
Price: CDN$ 17.70
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, Aug. 12 2012
This review is from: Tchaikovsky (DVD)
I found this documentary an excellent combination of narration and musical performance. It was interesting and informative. I realize that there are unanswered questions about Tchaikovsky's life but a biography can only give at most a snapshot of the individual.

HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME
HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME
DVD ~ Diarra Kilpatrick, Jonathan Blanc, Eric Debets, Chad Allen Michael Airington
Price: CDN$ 12.32
14 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Just drags along, Nov. 5 2011
This review is from: HOLLYWOOD JE T'AIME (DVD)
The colour of the film is quite faded. The hero is a colourless character who I don't care about. It is his hopeless attempt to go to Hollywood to get over the end of his relationship, and perhaps start a Hollywood career. Having bought the DVD I figured I owed it to myself to watch it to the end, but if it had been on TV, I would have switched it off. After an hour an a half, I kind of felt sorry for the poor guy, but not really.

True Love [Import]
True Love [Import]
DVD ~ John Ainsworth
Price: CDN$ 21.89
14 used & new from CDN$ 13.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Why was this made?, Oct. 17 2011
This review is from: True Love [Import] (DVD)
This video could be shown to anyone who is gay to scare the life out of them. The message is "Life is terrible and then you die!" The video is series of short vignettes.
"A Christmas Story" is a "home movie" of children opening their Christmas presents. The little boy wants the little girl's frilly dress and is shamed.
"Going Gay" describes a father's reaction to his son's sleepover and being caught with another boy.
"History" tells of a young man confronting his uncle about what might have been a false memory.
"Sunday" is the only positive clip of the bunch showing two older men sharing affection for each other.
"He Was Perfect" tells of how getting what you dream of may be your worst nightmare.
"Staying Together" is more positive with one lover assuring another that he will stay with him.
"A Little Drama" shows a stage technician watching a production and someone he is enamored with performing. Unrequited love.

Murdoch Mysteries: Season One
Murdoch Mysteries: Season One
DVD ~ Yannick Bisson
Price: CDN$ 69.99
21 used & new from CDN$ 37.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series, Dec 27 2010
I agree with the other reviewers. This is an excellent series. I have watched it several times on TV, including reruns. I gave it 5 stars even though it has one serious flaw. Every time the scene changes, there is very loud music/noise to indicate a scene change. I don't remember it being that noticeable on the TV. It means that if you have the sound turned up loudly enough to hear the dialogue, the scene change sound is quite annoying. But this is such an excellent series that I couldn't knock it down a star. Since much of our top talent goes to the USA, this is an outstanding Canadian production. The star Yannick Bisson is a very handsome man, a close tie with Paul Gross.

Handel: Messiah (Theater an der Wien 2009) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Richard Croft
Price: CDN$ 37.16
13 used & new from CDN$ 31.76

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing version, Nov. 6 2010
Having sung in the chorus of the Messiah, I am quite familiar with the music. I found watching this version quite riveting. Instead of a mass choir and soloists standing in a concert setting, this is an operatic presentation. Someone has committed suicide and the story unfolds as to how the family and other react to this tragedy. The singing and music is excellent. I was fascinated as to how this very traditional musical event could be presented in a very non traditional way. Unfortunately, there were no extras. It would have been fascinating to hear what was in the director's mind as he conceived this version.

Verdi;Giuseppe Aida [Blu-ray] [Import]
Verdi;Giuseppe Aida [Blu-ray] [Import]
DVD ~ Verdi
Price: CDN$ 37.07
15 used & new from CDN$ 32.06

4.0 out of 5 stars A very wet Aida, Nov. 6 2010
I was intrigued to see this open air version of Aida. It is a weird production. There were no notes to indicate what was in the production person's mind as to why he or she designed it this way. The stage is on the water front and people are sloshing around in or on the water. What the point of the giant feet or the broken head of the Statue of Liberty was, I don't know. There was some stylized Egyptian headgear, but other than that the costumes had little to do with Egyptian theme of the opera. If you like to see traditional operas presented in a unique way, you may enjoy this one. If you prefer them in a traditional format, skip this one.
There are no extras on this Blu-ray version.

Various Box: Open Air Opera: a [Import]
Various Box: Open Air Opera: a [Import]
DVD ~ Various Artists
Price: CDN$ 119.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 113.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Open air opera, Oct. 19 2010
Although I don't have this particular set, I have all four of these operas separately. They take place at the awe-inspiring surroundings of the 1st-century Roman quarry at St Margarethen in eastern Austria. Each of these operas, Aida; Carmen; Nabucco; and La Traviata, is a fantastic experience. Aida has the elephants, Carmen has the mountains, Nabucco has the giant menorah that breaks apart, and La Traviata has an full sized opera house that sits on the side of the mountain. I understand the audience has about 4,000 people, but you'd have to view it through binoculars if you were there. On the DVDs you get to see the panoramic shots as well as the closeups to see the singers' expressions. There is also a children's version of The Magic Flute, but it is not included in this opera set. This is grand opera in the wide open spaces sense.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3