Profile for Patrick Dirks > Reviews

Content by Patrick Dirks

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Patrick Dirks (Winnipeg, Canada)

The Sisters Brothers
The Sisters Brothers
by Patrick deWitt
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Context is 1800's, But Theme is Very 2011, June 10 2011
This review is from: The Sisters Brothers (Hardcover)
I picked this book up after reading a favourable review in the Winnipeg Free Press. After the first five pages, I was completely hooked. The setting, characters, and vernacular is 1800's, but the overall theme from the view of the protagonist is somehow very 2011. I rarely read Westerns, but this book is one of my all-time favourites from any genre.

The Last Oil Shock
The Last Oil Shock
by David Strahan
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Primer on Peak Oil, Humourously Written, Aug. 14 2007
This review is from: The Last Oil Shock (Paperback)
I am a neophyte on the topic of "Peak Oil", but had no problem following the arguments throughout the book. This is a real page-turner, and David Strahan's irreverent style had me smirking and laughing to myself on several occasions.

Long Way Round: The Entire Series (Ten Episodes)
Long Way Round: The Entire Series (Ten Episodes)
DVD ~ Ewan McGregor
Price: CDN$ 28.98
14 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars As Much About Getting Along With Your Fellow Man as it is about Travelling, Aug. 17 2006
I caught a few episodes on TV and I knew that I had to buy the DVD set. Charlie and Ewen are humourous, and yet insightful and forceful in their musings. It's too bad that there isn't a "bleep out the F-sharps" setting, but I watched this with my kids anyway (they loved it). This is the kind of show that really makes you believe that people are the same the world over...you just have to see things from their point of view.

Rat Scabies And The Holy Grail
Rat Scabies And The Holy Grail
9 used & new from CDN$ 26.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross Between Da Vinci Code and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Aug. 17 2006
I've only read half the book, but I am already prepared to give this book 5 out of 5. It's a real life tale of a music journalist on a quest with his punk-drummer-neighbor to explore the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery. If you liked the Da Vinci Code and Hitchhikers Guide, I GUARANTEE that you will love this book.